Winchester safe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester safe question

I have a winchester safe, and as of a few days ago, the safe will lock, but it unlocks with the turn of the handle, no need to enter any code. Anyone know why, or how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Dial or keypad lock?

Comment

Electronic lock?

First - install a new battery, and check that it locks with the door open (so you don't lock yourself out)

If it still doesn't work correctly, time for a new lock unit. They aren't cheap, but this is a good time for an upgrade. I'm having a brain fart right now, but Mike D suggested one that is well respected and I wrote it down, but darn if I can remember where. Hopefully he might chime in. (I think it is the Amsec ESL10, but not 100% positive)

If you're pretty mechanically inclined, it's not too terrible to install a new lock. I've put a couple of dial type units in for my pop and a buddy. The electronic ones should be easier, since the alignment isn't as critical.

Comment

Electric keypad. Changed batteries and it is continuing to have the issue. Thanks Gummi Bear, I will look into this info.

Comment

Had some issues with a Winchester safe and had a locksmith put a manual on instead.

Comment

Run number one don’t buys cheap safe

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig1776 View Post
              Assuming you meant, "RULE number one, don't BUY cheap stuff", that is no help to the OP and not called for!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Assuming you meant, "RULE number one, don't BUY cheap stuff", that is no help to the OP and not called for!
                Lol. Yeah….that could be what he meant.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                  Had some issues with a Winchester safe and had a locksmith put a manual on instead.

Originally posted by ACbob View Post

Did just the opposite on mine. After 2 mechanicals crapped out, I replaced with an AMSEC ESL10XL. Going on 15 years and not a single failure. Only on the 3rd set of batteries.

And to the jackwad spouting off about cheap safes while it’s not a Grafunder or anything of that caliber, my Winchester Silverado series weighs more and has better ratings that most of the other well known brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Alcohol can dull the senses, on the fingertips when typing.

Hope ya find an answer, Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Did just the opposite on mine. After 2 mechanicals crapped out, I replaced with an AMSEC ESL10XL. Going on 15 years and not a single failure. Only on the 3rd set of batteries.

And to the jackwad spouting off about cheap safes while it’s not a Grafunder or anything of that caliber, my Winchester Silverado series weighs more and has better ratings that most of the other well known brands.

I'm on my second AMSEC, funny thing is -when I had Amazon - and went to search for the keypad it brought up the one I had bought ~10 years earlier with the "order again" next to it. The price sure went up since the original replacement.
                      #2 has been rocking along for a few months now.

Lesson learned with the very first failure- don't have all of a category locked in one safe, better to spread things out a smidge incase a safe decides to lock you out.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                        I'm on my second AMSEC, funny thing is -when I had Amazon - and went to search for the keypad it brought up the one I had bought ~10 years earlier with the "order again" next to it. The price sure went up since the original replacement.
                        #2 has been rocking along for a few months now.

Lesson learned with the very first failure- don't have all of a category locked in one safe, better to spread things out a smidge incase a safe decides to lock you out.

What went wrong with yours? They are a pretty simple design.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          What went wrong with yours? They are a pretty simple design.

It just quit working. I swapped out batteries with fresh new and it opened one more time, then dead again.
                          I was able to pull that off one more time a few days later - pulling batteries then reinstalling hoping something would “reset”. But no dice, so I ordered a new one.
                          Plopped the new one in and back in business.

The safe is indoors, so I doubt it was a humidity issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig1776 View Post
                            Rule number one, check your spelling when stirring the pot…

Rule number two… better stay quiet and let people think you’re stupid than open your mouth and prove you are!

Lol

I bought a cheap safe as cheap insurance and makes me feel better… not everyone has a ton of money to throw around..

Comment

Bought a used safe off a nice gentleman here in the classifieds. Matter of fact, it may have even been my first purchase from the classifieds.

Thought I only needed to justify spending money to the wife but looks like a stranger from the internet needs to approve also lol.

Keeps a toddler out, even now as it is broken.
                              Transferable limited lifetime warranty which I will call on tomorrow.
                              Fire protection up to 30 minutes, and thats fine since I live 3 minutes from a fire station.
                              Keeps bad guys out.
                              Not much else you need from a safe.

all in good fun. Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

Working...
                              X