2022 - RV/Camping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
    What’s the youngest child y’all take camping/RVing?

What are some of the cons to it or special considerations you have to make opposed to older children.

I have a 3yo, 18mo, and a 3wk old.
    I have a 8, 6, 2 year old, and 7 month old. The earliest trips we took were when they were about a month old. My motto has always been load them up and go. It becomes the norm for them and adapt and get used to it.

Right now we limit our drive time to about 6 hours. Much over that and no one in the car is having a good time! I also avoid multiple days in a row in the car. So wouldn't drive 6 to Amarillo one day then 6 into CO the next.

Outside of that, once you arrive there isn't much different from having little ones at home. Obviously activities have to be planned around age/capability (not going on any 10 mile hikes) but that's the case at home too. One of those baby carrier back packs is pretty handy. We also take a wagon depending on what we are planning.

Some other helpful things:
    -Foldable playpen or something to put outside and contain them a bit
    -Outdoor camping rug they can sit/play on
    -Bunkbeds in the camper
    -We also remove the couch from our camper so we can setup pack and play for the little one to sleep in that area (now she just sleeps on the floor...)

Comment

Originally posted by 80tx View Post
      Question, do any of y'all have an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed? Slowly working my way to a getting a camper. Have a truck, 2019 ram 2500 cummins, and saving for the camper. Without knowing what camper I will have and what kind of mileage I will get, curious if the aux tank is worth it? We're in DFW and would be going to Colorado, Yellowstone, etc so pretty far trips.

I will not be without an aux tank in my trucks. Stopping for fuel every 200 miles sucks and adds serious drive time to any destination.

Comment

Thanks for the advice about using cruise control. Guess I’ll just keep my foot on the throttle going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
          I use cruise in flatland and tow haul mode and exhaust brake on.
          I’ll also drop out my top gear (6th for me) when towing through a town or in traffic. This keeps the boost up So it doesn’t have to downshift when the speeds pick up……then flutter back down again. It was more of an issue with my last truck and it’s 3.21 gears. Not so much with my current 3.55’s. I’m talking big city town like a metro mess, not a couple stoplights with a single DQ town.

I have a coworker who thinks the tow haul mode is the devil in his one ton pulling a triple axle toy hauler. To each his own.

One benefit of buying new, ain’t no telling how the previous owner used it. But hopefully they are built smart enough that a simple tow decision wouldn’t cause long term damage one way or the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          I’m guessing your truck is a manual transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

Tow/haul is a selection on auto transmissions.

Comment

Leaving Saturday for Arizona. Gonna boondock in the forest outside Flagstaff. Visit Grand Canyon and Sedona then head up to Lake Powell and camp. Then swing over on the way home and camp at Canyon de Chelly national Monument.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                Tow/haul is a selection on auto transmissions.
                Gotcha. How then do you downshift like he was talking about? Put it in 3, 2, or 1 gear instead of drive?

Comment

Gotcha. How then do you downshift like he was talking about? Put it in 3, 2, or 1 gear instead of drive?
                  Well Tow Haul down shifts for you as needed, when you break it down shifts and helps to slow you down. If you are in super steep driving conditions you can switch over to manual shifting and keep your rig in the gear of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    You know what causes that, right?

I’ve been told bees and butterflies. But I’m not sure what they have to do with babies…

Comment

Originally posted by 80tx View Post
                      Question, do any of y'all have an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed? Slowly working my way to a getting a camper. Have a truck, 2019 ram 2500 cummins, and saving for the camper. Without knowing what camper I will have and what kind of mileage I will get, curious if the aux tank is worth it? We're in DFW and would be going to Colorado, Yellowstone, etc so pretty far trips.

I installed a titan 50 gallon-I love everything about it besides filling it up

Comment

Slide shifter to manual and use the button on the shifter to select gears

Comment

No sir, automatic.
                          If you press the negative on the shifter on a Ford it will drop out the highest gear. Press It again and it will drop out the remaining highest gear. It will still travel up and down the remaining gears. You can choose all the way down to just one if you felt like it. I’ve only accidentally put it in manual once, about got rear ended over that one.

Same with my wife’s ram, but it’s via the touch buttons on the steering wheel since it has a shift knob instead of a stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

2022 - RV/Camping Thread

When we went to Palo Duro in the spring we fought a 20+ quartering to, wind, the whole way up 287. I held mine in 5th the whole way and got 6.3mpg. It was brutal. I HATE a 1/4 to wind worse than a headwind. Granted, we were averaging about 78mph.

When we turned east for the last 15 miles, I reset the mileage, and it went to 10.6.lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-07-2022, 10:05 PM.

Comment

6.3 mpg is exactly what I got at our last fill-up in the motorhome! (I don't baby that V-10 in the E450) 44 gals @ $197 though is a tough bite to chew!!! Other drivers hate me when I pull into Costco...we take up both pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                When we went to Palo Duro in the spring we fought a 20+ quartering to, wind, the whole way up 287. I held mine in 5th the whole way and got 6.3mpg. It was brutal. I HATE a 1/4 to wind worse than a headwind. Granted, we were averaging about 78mph.

When we turned east for the last 15 miles, I reset the mileage, and it went to 10.6.lol

I feel your pain.
                                I can predict the wind direction better than most meteorologist. - just look at which way my travel plans are taking us and that’s usually the prevailing direction the wind is blowing from.
                                Feels that way anyways.

For those of you not seeing on the dash what gear you are in, toggle the + button (shifter Ford/ steering wheel on Ram if no stick) and it will display- right side of screen on my fords, near digital odometer on wife’s ram.
                                The ram has to be retoggled after each restart, Ford stays there until the + is pressed again.

Not sure about other brands.

Comment

Working...
                                X