No announcement yet.

Menard 2021/2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope to get down to our lease this week, west of Mason 8 or so miles.

Comment

Lums is good stuff! I need to get down that way and make sure the camper isn't leaking!

Comment

We are green across the county and temps have remained mild. I was out jogging the hounds yesterday morning and it was 68. I hunted until about 9:30 and when I hit the highway and started back to town it was 9:45...I watched the temp roll to up to 75.
        Rains have been really scattered across the county with some areas getting much more than others. This means that while it is green, there's not much deep moisture in places. It is warm enough that we are beginning to grow the better grasses and less weeds. The winter grass that is beginning to burn up so watch your outside burning.
        Deer are in good body condition and the antlers I have seen appear to be above average. I am seeing quite a few mature looking bucks with non-typical points. I saw a bachelor herd of approximately ten bucks and two or three of the most mature bucks were showing lots of extra chrome. The axis are in great body condition but as I have previously stated, most of the bigger bucks have freeze damage to the antlers. Hopefully this gets them a pass for this year and gives them an extra year of growth. Lots of fawns and a high percentage of twins.
        Cool, wet weather is a recipe for hog explosion and that certainly seems to be the case. Hogs are taking advantage of this nice weather to expand their range and more are getting killed on the highways, be careful out there.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary.
          Hopefully our pig problem has not increased.
          Looking forward to this season!

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
            Thanks Gary.
            Hopefully our pig problem has not increased.
            Looking forward to this season!
            Quite a few ranchers are allowing some of the Helicopter Hog Hunters to fly their property and they are killing hundreds of hogs. This is the only thing that is checking the population at this time. If you don't remove 75% of the population annually, then you are loosing ground.
            Even if we don't get more rain in the next month or so, which is fairly typical, antler growth is going to be above average. Most antlers are pretty well developed and it's wet enough to carry them until they are fully grown.
            Not seeing many turkey poults but I think it's because the grass and weeds are so rank. As good as conditions were this spring, I am expecting a healthy hatch. Lots of grasshoppers which should assure the poults are getting all the food they need.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

We are off 2291 and pigs are always present. I wouldn’t mind the Axis population increasing in our area. We have a small group always present but not in large groups like you see around the creeks. We don’t graze our ranch and don’t shoot them so hoping it pays off.

Comment

We’re seeing hogs more and more as well. We are across the road from Taylor (Els16).

I killed this one last weekend with my 454 revolver.

Haven’t seen an Axis since deer season. Wondering if the freeze took out the few we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                  We’re seeing hogs more and more as well. We are across the road from Taylor (Els16).

I killed this one last weekend with my 454 revolver.

Haven’t seen an Axis since deer season. Wondering if the freeze took out the few we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Nice work, I sure miss Menard and Ojida’s Mexican chicken fried steak.

Comment

While we lost a tremendous number of axis on one ranch, overall I feel that we didn't loose many axis across the county. I was feeding 50-60 head on my little place on the river west of town and found only three carcasses.
                    Last Friday, I was jogging my hounds south of town and saw two WT bucks with above average frame for typical Menard County bucks. While one was very mature, the other appeared to be a 3 year old. The old buck is going to be over 20" wide which is pretty rare for a free range Menard County buck. He needs to go as he is not carrying much mass and looks to be a slick 8 point.
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

Something else to look forward to...Looks like we are going to have a bumper crop of acorns. Most live oaks and shin oaks are loaded at this time. If it continues to rain, I am guessing that they will be dropping late into the fall.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

Menard

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
                        Nice work, I sure miss Menard and Ojida’s Mexican chicken fried steak.

Ojida’s closed down.

Comment

Oh man bummer,

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
                            Ojida’s closed down.
                            Really, when? It was open last season.

How do you like the new gas station/mart across the street? Huge for a small town.
                            Has all you want and serves some decent fast food/pizza. HaHa

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
                              Ojida’s closed down.
                              They are going to build a new restaurant across from the Post Office on Hwy. 83.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

I was about 12 miles south of Menard, jogging my dogs this morning and saw a really good buck trot across the road in front of the dogs. Looked like a long tined 10 point with extra chrome. Looked like kickers off the G-2's.
                                I also looked for acorns down there and found that not nearly as many there as around Menard. The ice storm was really bad there and I am guessing that it affected the trees adversely.
                                Really nice when I dumped the hounds...64 degrees! I don't remember seeing that cool of temps in July.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X