Chest freezer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chest freezer question

Im in the market for a new chest freezer. Im am finding zero availability of any brand frost free chest freezer. What has changed that they appear to only make manual defrost chest freezers now? Is this a COVID/2020 thing or have govt regulations changed something?

Covid and all the free money not only hit freezer availability but also washers, dryers, and refrigerators.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
      Covid and all the free money not only hit freezer availability but also washers, dryers, and refrigerators.

So are you saying there just arent any frost free in stock because like so many things they are completely bought up? Im not even finding model #s for frost free that say currently out of stock or similar message.

Comment

Oh wow....now that's a twist. Dunno, but my nephew in California had to wait 4 months for the items that came with his new home purchase. We thought they were giving him a run around and was about to take legal action on the builder. Been a mess for months.

Comment

Pretty much if it’s any kind of appliance it’s hard to get..

Comment

I tried in Feb & march to find a freezer and had no luck, until I got on bestbuy.com and bought the last stand up freezer they had within 500 miles of San Antonio. Every store I talked to said they wouldnt get any freezers until August, of course this was back when we all thought this would be over by April

Comment

Whole lot of service and supply folks complaining about not being able to get parts and components for all sorts of stuff, (mainly my ranger that I sure do need), maybe they can't get the stuff to put freezers together, or maybe even the freezer itself!

Comment

I thought the main reason to have a chest freezer was for the manual defrost. Thats why I bought mine, so my meat wouldn’t periodically defrost, making it mushy.

Comment

RiverRat made a post on TBH about a for sure Covid meat shortage last spring. He heard it from his mother's brother's, wife's, cousin's, friend who knows an HEB butcher and all of Texas went bat**** crazy buying up all the freezers..

Comment

That is a change. I used to have to look for a manual defrost. Not that I buy a freezer very often. We are on our third in about thirty five years. All have been manual. As stated above, it is better for the longevity of your food to keep it in a deep freeze. I just unload the freezer once a year into ice chests. That allows me to sort food and defrost the freezer. I can get the job done in about forty five minutes, so it isn't a big deal.

Comment

I have never seen a frost free chest freezer.
                      with the door on top there is not a huge exchange of air when the door is opened and frost buildup is minimal. I only have to defrost once every 4 years or so.

Several years ago I had to really hunt to find a manual defrost upright freezer.
                      The upright I have to defrost about every 18 to 24 months, but I like it better,
                      Keeps the food longer because no temp swing during defrost cycles, more energy efficient, less to go wrong.

Comment

man you guys are behind the times on this one! they quit making frost free because they used more energy than one that will ice up,, the same cause for toilets that now have to be flushed twice because of water conservation!

old toilets normally used 1 gallon of water per flush and in the "name" of conserving water they were redesigned to conserve that water, which now uses more than one flush making it more than 1 gallon!!! Idiots trying to save the world without a clue ! These same nut cases required the freezers to be made "energy efficient" so now you must defrost it manually at the risk of loss of food and making the now warm freezer work harder to return to the frozen state! which in most likely hood requires more energy than the old design of frost free....
                        so they have now moved on to "battery" cars which require more electricity to be used in locations that often suffer brown outs because of a lack of electric power!!

Comment

Working...
                        X