Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87th Legislative Session...What issues matter most to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87th Legislative Session...What issues matter most to you?

It’s that time of the biennium again when legislators from all across the great state of Texas gather to enact more laws to add to the voluminous collection we already have.

As many of you know, the 87th Legislative Session began on Tuesday, and, as I do each legislative session, I spent some time researching the bills that have been filed and creating a list of those that are of particular interest to me so that I can track their progress, or lack thereof.

I am sure there are others on the green screen who do this as well, so I thought it would be interesting to see which bills--or issues, subjects, or topics--have garnered the greatest interest among this particular group of “constituents.” If you’re interest in participating, I’m looking for feedback related to the following two questions:

1. Which bills or issues are you tracking? If not tracking, what issues are you most interested in?

2. What associations, PACs, or other advocacy groups do you follow for insights into specific bills or issues?

I will share one bit of insight: While researching the list of bills that have been filed, based upon the number of bills filed, the top two issues this Session are, without a doubt, 1) gun control and 2) the regulation of legal cannabis, both of which are extremely polarizing, have high potential for divisiveness, and people on both sides of each issue are passionate in their beliefs. Never in my 20+ years of tracking legislation have I seen such a high concentration of bills filed over a specific issue.

Heads up, everyone. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Illegal immigration...........................

Comment

State level legislation that Texas will not enforce upcoming Federal gun laws..

Precedent has already been set with marijuana

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        State level legislation that Texas will not enforce upcoming Federal gun laws..

Precedent has already been set with marijuana
        Absolutely
        Our legislators better keep the feds at bay

Comment

Hoping they just write the budget, draw some maps and get the hell out of there without doing too much damage!

Comment

2nd amendment rights, Illegal immigration, Taxes

Comment

I’m watching a few.

HB 43 HB 94 HJR 11
              HB 99 HB 169 HJR 13
              HB 439 HB 441
              HB 447 HB 809
              SB 90 SB 140
              SB 151 SB 190
              SB 250 SB 269
              SB 327 SJR 16

Comment

THCA AHCA and Leading Age are all PACs that I have some sort of affiliation with. I'm really hoping we can get additional dollars allocated to Medicaid for reimbursement to post acute health care providers. Currently texas ranks 49th out of 50 in US. Our folks deserve better than that. And there are several block grants available that wouldn't even use actual state funds to achieve this once the dust settles. But its been very difficult to get our legislators on board. I and few others met privately with Gov. Abbot about a month ago. It felt like a promising meeting. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas Capitol is being closed through the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden “out of an abundance of caution,” officials at the Texas Department of Public Safety announced Friday.

In a written statement, DPS Director Steven McCraw said they are aware of armed protests that have been planned at the state Capitol this week and “violent extremists may seek to exploit” the events.

“As a result, DPS has deployed additional personnel and resources to the Capitol and are working closely with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Austin Police Department to monitor events and enforce the rule of law,” McCraw said in the statement.

McCraw asked people to report any suspicious activity they see on the internet or in public to call the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Austin Police Department.

Comment

Wait I thought the dems were defunding the police

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      Wait I thought the dems were defunding the police
                      yeah, right after using them for their 'protection from the right'.

what a bunch of a-holes.

Comment

Constitutional carry.....like liberal stronghold Vermont

Comment

I’m not watching any but my pipe dream would be them passing term limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            Constitutional carry.....like liberal stronghold Vermont
                            Im not sure the state will give up a revenue stream for licensing, but it would be interesting to watch. The incoming speaker seems to be another bonnen, so unlikely to ever get a floor vote.

Comment

1st and 2nd amendment protection from the feds! This is really all that matters. If we lose these all is lost!

Comment

Working...
                              X