X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
    5.9 or 7.3
    This.

500k+ mile engines if maintained, easy to work on.

Find one with 200k and add 300k more

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
      This.

500k+ mile engines if maintained, easy to work on.

Find one with 200k and add 300k more

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Agreed, all three trucks mentioned have been good.

We still have a 01 5.9 5 speed with 425k and it’s been ABUSED like a rented mule.

Had two 7.3’s turn over 300k.

If he does goes Cummins, go with a standard transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wish you were closer, sunsethunter
        Last edited by Arrowed C; 01-06-2021, 09:24 AM. Reason: Add to reply

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowed C View Post
          Wish you were closer, sunsethunter

Let's work something out!

Comment

I’m still pushing a 03 5.9 with the nv5600 six speed @ 400k. I just saw a nice 02 go for 37k it’s nuts what they are going for.

Out of the trucks mentioned I will say I favor the 5.9, it is the easiest vehicle to work on inside and out and is a workhorse. These old trucks are falling apart around the motor so get one that’s easy and cheap to fix. That fancy auto climate **** gets expensive when it starts breaking

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
              Roll those dice...
              This is the truth. People over rate all of the old diesels now. Buying one of any brand is a crap shoot.

The guys who got good ones that go over a quarter million miles don't sell, the ones with gremlins do. Get lucky enough to overpay for a good one that's been babied and turn it over to someone who will run it harder and it will likely start breaking down.

It does make me wish I'd held on to my last one.....but it may have blowed up by now...

Comment

The LBZ are beast, but I hated the interior on those year model trucks. Ugly and super cramped. The LMM's are better overall trucks IMO, but their super hard to find. I loved my 2008.

It's hard to beat the 1999-2003 year model ford super duty's. I'm not a huge 7.3 guy (we still got one in the barn at the house) but the trucks themselves are solid. They got huge cabs and are built very well. The 7.3 are reliable, but their so underpowered. Unless you get a ZF6 they don't pull worth a crap and the leaf spring front ends handle like a go kart.

The 2006-7 5.9 Cummins with 6 speeds are probably the most sought after "older" trucks out right now for good reason. Cheap to build/repair and make good power. Front ends wear out fast, but they handle better than the fords did during those years.

If you consider early model 4th gen dodges older trucks, I would no question get one of them. I had a 2011 3/4 crew cab long bed 4x4. One of my favorite trucks to date. I sold it with 300k with no major issues. The 6.7 cummins are better motors than the 5.9's were, but they had some bugs in the 3rd gen trucks. The 4th gens deleted are bullet proof.
                Last edited by Arrowthreat; 01-06-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

another vote for a LBZ or LMM. Both trucks will get him down the road at 70mph with whatever you want behind it. There are still some clean LBZ and LMM trucks out there you just have to jump on them when you find them.

Comment

Go with 5.9 Cummins, this motor came out of a 98 dodge 1 ton with 627,000 miles and still running. Going in for a rebuild and a Cummins swap.
                    Attached Files

Comment

LBZ Duramax, 5.9 Cummins, 7.3 Powerstroke-really personal preference as all are solid.

My wife and I have three 7.3 Powerstrokes. All have over 350K miles and regularly make trips to Tennesssee (and up until this year Ohio) and back regularly.

They’ve all had transmissions rebuilt, one had injectors installed preventatively when injector cups needed replacing at just under 300k miles.

But when you consider replacing these with new ones would likely cost almost a quarter million dollars (if the still made the Excursion), I’m happy with them and will be for a long time.

Comment

I’ve got a couple nice 5.9’s ready to go. These are what we specialize in. Honestly, pre-emission trucks bring a premium, and for good reason. The market on these will continue to climb as clean examples get harder to find.

2004 1 Owner Laramie Sport with 103k- like new.

2003 1 Owner 6 speed manual with 143k

2005 6 speed manual with 135k

Comment

How much?

Comment

$30k for the black 103k mile auto
                            $26k for the silver 6spd
                            $24k for the white 6spd

We sell all across the USA... These low mileage 5.9 Texas trucks fetch a higher premium in the Northeast, which has been keeping us pretty busy lately!

Comment

Older Diesel Trucks

My youngest started out in a 97 7.3 and that dang thing like to have broke me in repairs bills!

Now in an 02 5.9 six speed that’s been bullet proof.

Oldest started in. 10 Duramax which also went to eating pistons at the 179,000 mark
                              Last edited by bboswell; 01-16-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I drive an old 2000 F-250 7.3, but, I recommend a 1999-2005 Dodge 5.9 if you can’t find a good 7.3.
                                They both run forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X