No announcement yet.

Do you hunt your own land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a house on 35 acres with big timber and very large creek running through it back in 08. In 09, we purchased an adjoining 30 acres on the same creek system. This is in SE Grayson County. Have loved every minute of it.

Comment

Not much. My family has land in sw Arkansas that was homesteaded in the 1800s. I grew up hunting it and it just kinda got old hunting the same place. Once I figured the place out it seemed like it was too easy from that point on. Now I’m 99% public land

Comment

14 acres in Oklahoma . Built a cabin on it and have taken a buck and hog and let a buddy take a doe this year. Much bigger deer on cam than what i shot ( low light actually thought he was the bigger one) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife and I bought 200 acres near Menard back in 2000. I thought the price at that time was way too high, but it has gone up considerably. The place had a well and electricity. We added a cabin shell....one room....we did all the electrical, plumbing and finish work....my sons helped when they could. Over the years we have added to it to the point we now have 3 br, 2 baths, about 1100 sf. Lots of blood, sweat, and tears. But we now have a place to hunt, our kids and grandkids as well. We keep corn feeders going most of the year, protein part of the time. Most ranches in our area are about 100 acres, some larger. We are lucky in that there is not a lot of pressure in our immediate area....that said, we do not see trophy bucks but we almost never get skunked on a hunt. Usually we will see 10-20 deer on a sit. Our grandkids killed their first deer with guns....my grandson made his first bow kill this year. Other than the kids, everything is archery only (except pigs and varmints).

We never have to worry about lease agreements or landowner rules. We love going out every chance we get. It took a lot of hard work, and we were still working when we bought it, but since we retired we get to spend a lot of time out there.

We financed our place through the local bank....they will usually be easy to deal with, and generally are familiar with the land.

I know some hunters are looking for that special buck, but we feel like any deer taken with an arrow is truly a trophy.

It cost a lot of money to get the ranch the way we wanted, but it is something we will pass on to our son.....and he will always have a place to hunt.

Comment

I grew up with a family place in South Texas, lots of room to roam around, lots of wildlife and a managed deer herd. We ran hunts on it the whole time so I didn’t have 100% free reign to do what I wanted but I did pull a few nice deer off the place and shot a ton of culls and had a ton of fun for many years. The last 5 years, due to a number of reasons, I didn’t spend much time there and the decision was made to sell it. I did have a few last good hunts including two of the best days of dove hunting I’ve ever had on my life.

I have 3 kids and wanted them to have the same experiences growing up that I had, so we started casually looking for a place in the Hill County. I’m in the farm and ranch brokerage business, so I’ve seen it all, from over the top extravagant ranches, to places you couldn’t give to me for a nickel, and I expected it to be somewhat of a challenge to find something that would be a good fit.

My wife sent me a place that was a tad smaller than what we were originally looking for, it sat in my inbox for a week before I looked at it. In the interim She had some clients that had sent her the same property and wanted to look at it, so I rode with them when they went to look at it.

Long story short, they decided to pass on it and we made an offer immediately after. At 125 acres, It’s A bit smaller than what we originally were looking for, but it was pretty turn-key which meant a lot as we have very busy schedules and couldn’t really devote much time to develop a raw place.

We have had fun hunting it, but I’m enjoying just being out there doing brush work and minor work to the cabins. Deer numbers are good, there are pigs and some exotics to keep things interesting. God willing I will continue to keep hunting out west, and in other countries, but it’s nice to have a place where I call all the shots and am under no obligation to do anything I don’t want to do. I’ve leased some great places with some great landowners, but in the end I was always very reserved in my usage of the place because it wasn’t mine.

In the end, it’s more than just a place to hunt, although the wildlife situation is very important to us. I’m planning on it being a bowhunting only ranch save for my wife and daughter when she gets to hunting age in a few years.
            Last edited by txtrophy85; 12-24-2020, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
              No, I just like poaching on someone else's land.

East Tx?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                14 acres in Oklahoma . Built a cabin on it and have taken a buck and hog and let a buddy take a doe this year. Much bigger deer on cam than what i shot ( low light actually thought he was the bigger one) .

Congrats on the buck but why are you hunting in pink pants?

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  Congrats on the buck but why are you hunting in pink pants?

Haha they are really maroon but they are fleece lined and warm. This time of year I wear whatever is warm and comfy.

Comment

Working...
                  X