Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 questions

Why does no one have a title for their trailers and
    If I find a trailer that was shop built can I look up to see if it is stolen by the serial number?

1) I have title to the trailers I’ve owned/own.

2) Take the SN to an annex and see what it would take to get it registered.

Comment

I have the titles to both my trailers as well but if you go looking at used trailers maybe 1-50 have a title. I just got off the phone with Lampasas county and they said “ oh, that’s a process to get registered these days “ has to be seen by an theft inspector who only comes around once a month, then paper work submitted to The state then back to lampasas county maybe a month or two later.

Comment

Titles were not required for a long time on trailers especially smaller ones. All you had to do was say it was homemade and you were done. Also, at one time new trailers registered as farm trailers did not require a title. The state perceived there was a problem with stolen trailers in the state and changed the rules. I don't think it really changed any stolen trailer problems but it has definitely made purchasing a used trailer a much more challenging process. Yes, I do have titles to the trailers I own. I have had trailers in the past that I did not and have since sold (before the "crackdown").

Comment

That’s not entirely true, as long as it’s currently registered at least.

Example: I bought a 12’ utility trailer from forum member Halfmoon in February. He relayed to me that he could not find the title a few days before we met up to complete the sale. I told him to not worry about it but to complete a bill of sale and provide any current paperwork he had regarding the trailer.

I walked into the annex, showed them what he provided me, they looked it up and said that the trailer had only been registered and a title had never been requested, but it wasn’t a big deal because I had all necessary paperwork. Filled out the form, paid the fees along with a little extra for a new plate to be sure, title in hand in less than 3 weeks.

I traded that trailer plus some case to webstertroy almost 3 months later for his “14’” (actually 16’) tandem trailer so I could haul both of our 4 wheelers instead of having to stash one at the property. He had title to the 16’ and I had no issue swapping it, he also hasn’t contacted me with any issues swapping the 12’ into his name.

It’s not really all that complicated, just take the information to an annex before you buy. They should be able to look it up and tell you what you need to know.

Comment

I don't have a title because my trailer was made in Oklahoma, and apparently Oklahoma's trailers are not required to be titled.

Comment

I didn’t even know trailers had titles. I’ve got 4 and none of them have titles. Just keep the lights working and you’re gtg.

Comment

If the weight rating of the trailer is below 4000 lbs you don't need a title unless it's an RV or home built. Lots of small trailers are registration only. In that case all you need is a bill of sale and registration receipt to get it in your name. The guy with a newer big trailer with no title who tells you "it's easy to get one" has either stolen it or never did the paperwork so it's not legally his to sell.

Comment

Below a certain size trailers can be sold from the manufacturer with a Certificate of Origin. With that you may get a title and last time I did it, it wasn’t that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                    1) I have title to the trailers I’ve owned/own.
                    I've got 6 or 7 trailers and I have titles for all of them.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I have a title to my trailer. If it's an older trailer and the registration was lost somewhere down the road, most people just register it as a homemade trailer. Im not sure but I think you have to have proof that you built it now via receipts etc.

Comment

2 questions

My wife is the JP here and has property hearings on trailers without titles often. People provide a bill of sale on a trailer, then the cop doing the inspection finds where a VIN is or use to be, then the trailer gets confiscated. She’s said lots of folks lost trailers this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by solocam_aggie; 07-28-2022, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I’ve never had titles to my trailers. Oh well

Comment

I recently bought a used trailer from Oklahoma (never registered or titled). I did a VIN search to determine it wasn't stolen and registered it without a title because it was less than 4000 lbs.

Now I believe they charge the same amount whether you get a title or not. I've heard some counties are more difficult than others.

Comment

I have a title for my trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X