No announcement yet.

Travel Trailer Gurus Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crawl up on the roof and walk every square foot of it. Especially on the edges and around the ac. Any soft spots at all.....run away

Comment

Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
      Me myself and I
      Don’t go too big and replace the mattress with a real one.

Its up to you to determine quality but those toy hauler type and anything without the cheap panel siding, something like asdel.
      Last edited by Voodoo; 08-08-2022, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Save yourself a major headache, budget the money for a carport cover. Just do it. The rooves on RVs are horrid. They ALL leak. The cover will save your AC and help keep it cooler. Don't have to worry about hail. The list just goes on. Park it under a cover

Comment

I am a fan of the following:

Fiberglass siding over aluminum

Tandem axle

At least one slide

Couch instead of the dinner table/bed design

Park it under a cover at all times

Comment

Rip out the crappy sofa and replace it with one or two real recliners. If you need more room rip out the booth dinner table and replace with a couple TV treys or a folding square table. A bunk house is nice just for storing things like bows, and fishing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
              I live in an RV so I have some first hand knowledge.

Absolute must haves for full timing:

1. Dual 15k BTU roof top ACs. This is Texas and no one has ever said “we have too much AC”.

2. Fiberglass sidewalls. They are insulated better than the cheaper “stick and tin” models. Models that have Azdel walls will hold up better over the long haul as they are a composite that won’t delaminate if it gets wet.

3. Get a good insurance policy. It won’t be cheap, but the good policies cover pretty much everything. Our policy is through Progressive and they cover full time RV living, cover the entire roof, cover water leaks as well as the other damage they can cause, cover rodent problems, and we even have an extra $15k of coverage for belongings/valuables inside the rv.

4. Whatever RV you end up with, get some things to protect it. Things like a good water filtration system(we have a 4 stage system that I put together that filters down to 0.2 microns), get a surge suppressor that protects the entire RV and goes on the power breaker box outside, get some Happy Camper black tank treatment powder, get at least a couple of extra propane tanks as you always run out at the worst time possible.

5. Tower fans that oscillate are your best friends in the summer.

6. VERY low wattage space heaters will be your friend in the winter. NEVER plug a 1500 watt space heater in your RV as most times it will trip a breaker. We use a 500 watt unit in the bedroom, a 250 watt unit in the bathroom, and a 400 watt unit for my daughters room. Having an RV with a factory electric fireplace is VERY nice in the winter and also cuts down on propane useage.

7. A heated and enclosed underbelly is really nice on the off chance it does get really cold.

8. If you get one that has a gas/electric fridge then look at getting an auxiliary fan that goes in the outside vents for the fridge. It will help it work better when outside temps are high, and it will help the fridge stay colder when it is hot outside.

9. During the summer time, cooking meals on a grill outside helps keep the inside temp down. If it is 100+ degrees outside and you decide to cook a meal inside, expect the inside temp to raise 3-5 degrees.

10. Expect the air conditioners to run nonstop the entire day when it is really hot outside.

11. Choose the RV park you stay at carefully. Drive through it first late in the evening on a weekend. Pay attention to the vehicles parked there. Are they oil field vehicles? Are there a lot of modded trucks? If so then chances are it won’t be a quiet place to stay. Look at the condition of the RVs. A lot of older RVs that have a lot of rubbish around and it will likely have problems with theft. If you want a quiet place, look for a place that has a lot of retirees.

I’m sure there is more but these are the big ones that I can think of. Feel free to PM me any personal questions you may have, or don’t want to discuss here.

This post is spot on imo. We cook all of our meals on a Blackstone griddle. You can get an adaptor to run off of a big propane bottle also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I appreciate everyone's info, 91 I just might take you up on that here in a couple weeks when I get back in Texas and start making moves.

Comment

I'm fixing to live in my class C full time we will see?
                  If I could get exactly what I wanted.
                  Duel living room slides across from each other. A big slide in the bedroom. 2-3 ACs.
                  Toilet with space around it. Step in tub shower with curtain no glass enclosures.

Also! If something breaks fix it immediately. If you don't next thing you know there will be 5 things broken to fix.
                  Last edited by Abcdj; 08-08-2022, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I lived in a brand new one 6 years ago when I was remodeling my house and the slide area leaked when it rained. I borrowed it from a friend so I don’t remember the brand but I would not own one unless it had a metal roof ( probably 80’s or 90’s ) myself

Comment

Not trying to hijack Op. How large of a trailer can you pull with a half ton vehicle safely? And I can’t imagine the cost to have a nice cover built! The cover alone would probably bust my trailer budget!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        Not trying to hijack Op. How large of a trailer can you pull with a half ton vehicle safely? And I can’t imagine the cost to have a nice cover built! The cover alone would probably bust my trailer budget!
                        That all depends on the half ton truck. Most half tons will run out of payload capacity before they reach the max tow capacity. Once loaded, a decent size bumper pull can have 1k pounds of tongue weight. Combine that with a couple of people in the truck along with a cooler or two in the bed and you are looking at 1,500 pounds taken off of your payload capacity. That is more than some trucks have available. On the other hand, some new half ton trucks have a payload capacity that is approaching 2k pounds! My 2022 half ton truck has 1,900 pound payload capacity, but only 8,500 pounds of towing capacity. But I’ve seen a brand new 1/2 ton truck with only 4,500 pounds of towing capacity.

So basically, it really depends on the truck.

Comment

Working...
                        X