No announcement yet.

Wondering how old this buck is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He ain't no breeder buck and if he lives to be 9 or 10 all you will have are pencil horn 8's

Comment

I'd say 3-4 in 2020. Looks like a 5-6 yo deer to me.
      I'd bet he finishes in the 120's and would be a nice shooter.

Comment

I don't see a buck like that "blowing up". And he's an older deer, not young as some have suggested. If he doesn't excite you much, then let him walk. See what he does when he gets really old, like 9 or 10. Most of the time with enough age, what was once an 8 will start to throw other points. The ol "once an 8, always an 8" saying could not be further from the truth.

Comment

I haven't decided what to do yet. He looks like he's lost some length from last year but I'm not sure. He always seems to hide out come October.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            Post Mature
            This^

Comment

Very old

Comment

Nothing about the buck suggest he is going to blow up. Pass him two more years and maybe he sprout a couple 2" kickers ...... or not. He is breeding at least a couple does per year and if you want to see more like him in the future, let him go.

Is he the top end mature buck for your area?

Comment

All of yall forgot to add the 1/2 to all your guesses. How can you expect anyone to believe it without saying 3.5 or 4.5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                    Nothing about the buck suggest he is going to blow up. Pass him two more years and maybe he sprout a couple 2" kickers ...... or not. He is breeding at least a couple does per year and if you want to see more like him in the future, let him go.

Is he the top end mature buck for your area?
                    He is currently that I have on camera. I know there has to be others in the area that I haven't seen. This is the only feed pen I have on 534 acres.

I got a 143" 10 with a 13.25" spread off this place in 2019. So I know there are good deer here.

Comment

Take out that 6 while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
                        Take out that 6 while you're at it.
                        He's not wide enough.

Comment

Mature deer that will likely not change much with age. He may add some kickers or mass with age but will also be running off young deer with more potential.

Comment

I'd guess 6 and he would be on the hit list.

Comment

If he is 6, then he really isnt mature. In some cases a buck needs to get closer to 9-10 to show all their potential. However, there may be some truth to that he might be keeping other bucks out. If he floats your boat then take him.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                                From my experience a straight 8 like him that is older will in most cases not change much - he is an 8 and most likely will remain an 8 for life

El Gato’s thread has a deer that went from a mature 8 to a 211 inch giant with all kinds of trash

Comment

Working...
                                X