Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RC1275 View Post
    The cubed system is creating an issue known as point creep in many categories. This issue is facing many western state systems such as in Colorado and Wyoming. For example the number of tags offered for Mule Deer in Texas will not clear out high point holders. Those who are just now starting to apply for Gun Mule Deer will never have more than a .01% chance of Drawing. This is less odds than many bighorn sheep draws. Every year the point holders will shift up a point level and your odds will never increase in the most desired categories. It might increase your odds in a hog hunt or antlerless hunt, but premium hunt odds will just remain the same as the points creep up every year. My 7 points in Gun Mule Deer give me a chance to draw a tag of roughly .113% if I enter all the draws. If all top point holders with 14 points draw and I gain a point my odds will increase to .115%…. Everyone should be aware of this.

I can post the point holder data for the 2020 draw attached if I figure this out. I think I am supposed to be looking for a paper clip on the advanced posting?
    Texas is not a true preference point draw system like Colorado, but is a weighted bonus point system. So all the 14pt holder do not have to draw in order for the applicants with 13 pts (or less) to draw. The cubing will cause some point creep but there is still a chance for somebody with 1pt to draw.

Does TPWD publish data showing the number of point holders at each level?

Comment

Sure glad I have my son so we can apply to TYHP hunts and TPWD. Going to suck when he ages out but we will take advantage of it now.

Comment

I didn't see any NWRs listed on this doc? I guess they dont report that data?

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
          I didn't see any NWRs listed on this doc? I guess they dont report that data?

NWRs are a Federal entity. They have their own reporting system. Thier info goes to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. And National Parks Service. TP&W just offers a draw service for them. You might even can even find a Federal Game Warden if you look hard enough . Plus the state game wardens.
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-04-2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            NWRs are a Federal entity. They have their own reporting system. Thier info goes to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. And National Parks Service. TP&W just offers a draw service for them. You might even can even find a Federal Game Warden if you look hard enough . Plus the state game wardens.
            Thanks, that makes sense.

Comment

8 more days till the next draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                8 more days till the next draw.
                Anxiously counting down. I threw in for a good number of archery hunts this year.

Comment

Can't wait till the 16th! I'm only in for 3 Archery Draws this year but I always get pumped up on Draw days.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Im going archery mule deer hunting this year, I can just feel it!

Comment

I’m in about a dozen or so archery draws I think. Would have to go back in look.
                      Have a couple of preference points but nothing special. But you never know I guess

Comment

I want to change the preferred weekend I selected on one of my hunts after I purchased the draw. Does anyone know who to e-mail or call to get help at TPWD?

I applied for a hunt and last few years the first option in November was a weekend hunt, the Dec option was during the week. This year it's opposite. Nov is during the week and Dec is the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                          I want to change the preferred weekend I selected on one of my hunts after I purchased the draw. Does anyone know who to e-mail or call to get help at TPWD?

I applied for a hunt and last few years the first option in November was a weekend hunt, the Dec option was during the week. This year it's opposite. Nov is during the week and Dec is the weekend.
                          If you have my luck, I wouldn't worried about it too much, probably won't get drawn.

Comment

Somewhere on the website by where you pay/look at hunts there's a "contact us" option. I sent out a question and got the answer back twice (from two separate people) within 15 minutes. Seems like they're pretty on top of customer service. Worst case scenario you'll have to withdraw and pay again with no refund for the specific hunt but I feel like the preferred date is probably something they can manually change

Comment

hunt@tpwd.state.tx.us

They'll have to cancel the application, nonrefundable. Then you can reapply.

Comment

Just finished my first round of apps. I know it's been mentioned a lot before, but I really wish we had a points-only option in this Texas process. I have a couple other out of state adventures this year that will take up most of my time off.

Not that I'm concerned about drawing with the abysmal draw odds, but it would be nice to go points-only on a year with a busy schedule. Not applying isn't an option either, since each year adds hundreds of names to the hat with the cubed system.

It would be cool to be able to apply aggressively on years you really want hunts or back off on years you don't, and not fall behind in the points by not applying.

Comment

Working...
                                X