Insurance and Roof Repair Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance and Roof Repair Questions

We got a very localized batch of high wind a couple of weeks ago that caused some damage to houses around us. My house was added onto before I bought it. They extended the roof out, on top of the old, and added a bathroom, storage area, and covered parking for 2 vehicles. All of the metal roofing covering this area was stripped away by the wind. Underneath, you can now see why they added the metal, because the roof decking under the old shingles is quite rotted.

I opened a claim with state farm. I have not had anyone come out yet. My hang up is that I would prefer to get an estimate and just do all of the work myself. Particularly because I do not see them covering all of the work that will be needed to replace all of the rotted decking. If I do the work it will likely turn into a full demo and rebuild of this addition. If they get an estimate from a roofing company, I'm sure those guys will find reason for a whole new roof, though the rest looks in pretty good shape to me. The roof was fairly new when we bought the house 11 years ago. I saw them replacing my neighbors entire roof yesterday.

State farm offered to send their company to do the work or I can get a quote from a contractor and then they will send out an adjuster.

Does one of these options make it possible for them to just cut me a check and then I can do the work as I can? Please advise.

Any roof over 15 years old is viewed as a liability according to my agent. Even affects whether companies will write a policy or not. Keep that in mind in your decision.

Comment

If you want the check, have them send out an adjuster. They cut us a check for our roof, we payed the deductible and a few extras to the company we chose. There may be implications to your next claim if they pay for a whole roof and you only fix a part of it. I'm not sure how that would work

Comment

Once an adjuster comes out and verifies the claim and determines the proper amount, you can get a check up to the value of the materials and labor that you have incurred. The issue with you doing it yourself is value of the labor..whereas if you have a contractor do it, his labor is included.

Gone are the days of a claims check without proving up that you actually paid anything. Or at least in my experience.

Comment

They will probably withhold a significant amount for depreciation on an older roof like that. They will pay ACV (actual cash value) which is cost to replace the roof minus the depreciation, minus your deductible.

You can recover the withheld depreciation amount IF you show you paid more than ACV to replace the roof. That usually means you have to pay your deductible amount out of pocket.

If you buy the materials and do it yourself you probably will not be able to get any of the withheld depreciation.

Your mortgage company may also have an issue with releasing all of the claim money if you are doing it yourself.

Comment

Working...
          X