Keeping Birds Out of Free Choice Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Birds Out of Free Choice Protein

The birds have always been a problem, but this year it seems worse than ever. Does anyone have this same problem and found a solution to keep them out? Its little birds of all kinds. Doves, blackbirds, etc. They rake an unreal amount of feed out of the feeders.

No interest in moving to timed feeders as I want the deer to be able to eat as much as they want, when they want to. Just trying to cut down on the amount wasted by the birds.

Are you using All Seasons Feeders? I have noticed that their rectangular feed spouts are way worse for birds than a 4" round spout.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
      They rake an unreal amount of feed out of the feeders.
      About 15 years ago I was having a problem with piles of protein on the ground. I staked out one feeder and found out it was dang birds scratching out feed. Anyways I went and bout a couple plastic hoot owls and set them on top of this one protein feeder as a test. I came back a week later. The owls were on the ground with their eyes pecked out and a general look of being assaulted in an unkind fashion. Oh and the birds were in there just scratching away when I rolled up.
      LMAO the birds put an asswhippin on those fake owls.
      Good luck trying to find a remedey, if you find one let us know.

Comment

w/o timers, i think losses to birds is part of the price of full free choice feed. I never found a solution.

Comment

I had this issue several years ago. I saw a post on Macy Ledbetter's old forum (some folks on here used to post there), that recommended hanging lightweight jack chain in the feeder nozzles. We hung the chain vertically about every 1-1 1/2", attaching it to the top of rectangular nozzles. The chains interfered with the birds wings when they tried to land in the nozzle, and the deer could easily move them aside when they fed. It worked great...I think you should try it.

Interestingly enough, we don't seem to have the issue any longer, and have removed the chains over time. I initially thought the feed was building up on the ground because we were early in a feeding program. It was amazing how much was kicked out by the birds...particularly the blackbirds. I can't really explain why we no longer have a bird problem.

Comment

Working...
          X