Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
    This time next year I will be retired...going to all the standby hunts every where
    I just retired and will be doing this.

Comment

Did my first round today. Always get bored and find more to apply for as the days go by.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        For Powderhorn, I wouldn't be going for the WT, it would be for the Sambar. But if they do more trapping this summer, I may not apply there due to the reduction in Sambar numbers...which is their goal.
        I met the biologist two years prior to PH opening at the Matagorda Island hunt. He told me of the states goal to return the WMA to a wild native state but keep it high fenced for study purposes. I knew then that the good exotic hunting would be short lived.

Still applying in hopes of getting in there while it's still good.

Comment

Archery Exotic

I was looking at my points in each of the categories and realized that I am so lucky to have nine points in the archery exotic category. That will be really great if they ever offer that category again. And hey, we're going to be getting a new director so who knows, it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolatelabs View Post
            Was this the guided desert bighorn hunt?
            yes, I drew it in 2019, hunted in 2020

Comment

If you apply for over lapping hunt dates can you get drawn for both and pick which one you want to go on? Or does the first selection close you ticket? I am applying for many and curious, thanks.
              Also if you apply with two kids on the same application and get drawn can another adult come and sit the other kid in another stand or would we have to sit 3 to a blind? Thank you and good luck.

Comment

You can get drawn for 2 different hunts the same dates. You have to pick one to do and the other hunt you don’t go on you’ll lose all your points for. Good question on the youts hunt. I speculate you’ll need 1 adult per yout and can’t ever add anyone after your drawn

Comment

I put in for 17 hunts. $66.72. Gotta feeling I'm gonna get picked for a good one.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                    If you apply for over lapping hunt dates can you get drawn for both and pick which one you want to go on? Or does the first selection close you ticket? I am applying for many and curious, thanks.
                    Also if you apply with two kids on the same application and get drawn can another adult come and sit the other kid in another stand or would we have to sit 3 to a blind? Thank you and good luck.
                    Pretty sure the other adult would have to be on the card beforehand. I know years ago my son drew his first youth hunt and momma wanted to tag along and video the hunt. I called the place and they would not let her join us because I didn’t include her on my application.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                        Until your first ride back home with all your gear $100 worth of fuel and 2 wasted days of packing and travel. Standby always seems fun until you get rejected
                        This is very realistic^

Multiply that fuel bill by at least a factor of 10X

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                          2nd the sentiments of Huntindad.
                          I do not apply anymore after having experienced it luckily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          My grandma owns a place in O'Connor and we had a sambar walking down our road one night. So there was still some there at the start of summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                            This is very realistic^

Multiply that fuel bill by at least a factor of 10X
                            Just need a solid backup plan. Another draw hunt to stand-by for, walk-in public, or fishing, etc.

Comment

I'll just go to the lease. or go fishing.
                              Last edited by Huntindad; 07-06-2022, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Ya I've played that standby game many times. Seen as many as 20+ people show up for only a couple spots. Showed up at times and all the drawn hunters showed up as well so there were no standby positions. Its not an easy game and more times than not a waste of time and money.

I'll still go to a few this year and see what happens. But it typically is just as disappointing as the draw system.

Comment

Working...
                                X