Semi-live PCT thru hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    First reception in 10 days. We are through the big passes of the high sierras. Last 10 days have been tough… snow, sleet, rain, lightning. Really crazy weather on passes (we have been at 10,000 feet plus most time). Snow melt mosquito hatch is also brutal (I thought Anahuac had the high water mark on mosquitoes…. I may have been wrong). Had a big bear visit our camp at dusk last night. First Bear of hike! Really cool to see. The weather system we hiked through produced some cold nights… at least 2 that were in high 20s. Frozen water bottles in Mornings! I will post some pics later in day.
    Man, that sounds pretty tough. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more pics

Comment

Mosquitoes and volatile weather up on the passes have cut into my fishing time. However, I have had some great stops including sone spots with 20+ catches. All are small. I did land one Gokden that may have gone a whopping 10 inches. I was surprised to catch some Brookies (I thought I would see the Brookies a bit further north in the Sierras).

Click image for larger version

Name:	C2206B96-53C1-4F28-AC34-5E949ED4D2B7.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	24686641

Name:	1B0FF342-4266-4674-8C18-DEAF9C986143.jpeg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	24686642

Comment

The haul up to Pinchot Pass (12,100 feet) was long. Total elevation gain was 3,500 over 7 miles to the pass. About 1/2 mile from the top we stared to have snow. We pressed on. At the pass we realized the storm was pretty dicey on the other side. Our only solution was to keep hiking down. We ended that day at 10,500 feet and slept comfortably through a cold night. In the morning there was ice in our water bottles. So much for the 100 degrees back in Texas.

This is Bugz on the north side of Pinchot coming down during the storm.

Name:	7069F0F4-C345-48B5-8947-06C35C63FAFE.jpeg
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	24686643

Comment

The Muir Pass (11,900 feet) had the most snow, but the skies were clear that day. The Muir Pass is the only pass with a stone structure (John Muir Hut). The hut was built in 1931. We trudged through many snow fields to get up there. The snow was soft, but luckily there was minimal post-holing. We definitely got a work-out that day.

Name:	3619A9E8-54ED-463C-B5C1-7C9C95626766.jpeg
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	24686644

Name:	112A9163-27FE-4D87-8739-58E804E1303A.jpeg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	24686645

Comment

Incredible. Kudos to you and your bride for taking it on!

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
              Incredible. Kudos to you and your bride for taking it on!
              Thank You! So far it’s been great. There has definitely been challenges.

Comment

Amazing journey so far, keep the posts coming.

Comment

Thanks for the updates. I'm confident the rewards exceed the challenges.

Comment

Liv8ng a dream! JMT has always been a bucket list to do. I couldn’t imagine the entire PCT.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      Liv8ng a dream! JMT has always been a bucket list to do. I couldn’t imagine the entire PCT.
                      We are basically in the section where the JMT and PCT are one trail. That last 10 days or so has been JMT/PCT including the big passes. We do Donahue Pass in a day or so … That also is a JMT/PCT pass. We have hiked with a lot of north bound JMT hikers last few days and have seen many southbounders. I highly recommend the JMT and the Sierras if you have it on your bucket list… it’s a great trail!

Comment

^ came back in to say. When the JMT hike boils to the top of your bucket list… PM me snd I can assist in planning and provide some definite dos and dont’s. I now have been thru this section 2x and have a good feel for it.

Comment

We made it out of the Sierras (via Sonora pass) and are testing at Kennedy Meadows North - a pack station/general store/camp. I feel like I am in texas… full on horse and mule people here. Last stretch of Sierras (through Yosemite) was tough. We went slow, but got to cr my celebrate crossing mile 1,000! I also managed to catch some big Brook trout. Next slog is 75 miles getting us to south-lake Tahoe!

Comment

Great job and thank you for taking us along

Comment

Well, I must say I truly regret passing over this tread so many times without reading a single word. But, I just read from beginning to end (i know its not over, just to the end of what was written). All I can say is WOW! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the story and the pictures. I'm pretty sure it could make a decent book. Lol. I'll check back in and stay caught up. Thanks again for taking us along with ya'll. Most of us will never have the drive, ability or opportunity to do something like this. Keep at it!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
                                Well, I must say I truly regret passing over this tread so many times without reading a single word. But, I just read from beginning to end (i know its not over, just to the end of what was written). All I can say is WOW! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the story and the pictures. I'm pretty sure it could make a decent book. Lol. I'll check back in and stay caught up. Thanks again for taking us along with ya'll. Most of us will never have the drive, ability or opportunity to do something like this. Keep at it!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
                                Thank you for jumping in. It’s been good so far. Definately see how this is easier for the younger kids! As far as book… nah, just a good old semi-live thread on Tbh. Trying to load sone recent pics. Reception deep in the Sierras is sketchy. Let me see if I can pull off some up loads as I sit here and rest my feet.

Comment

Working...
                                X