Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Add Additional AC To Camper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
    You aren’t mistaken. Most are built in Indiana.

I’m full timing in a 41’ 5th wheel and this is what I’ve done in the past and currently to help the A/C work better. Mine currently has two 15k BTU units.

1. I bought a big roll of Reflectix which is basically aluminum foil lined bubble wrap. On the inside of each window that faces south, or that the sun shines into, I cut out the reflectix to the same size as the window(NO GAPS!!!). Then using painters tape, I held the reflectix in place making sure there was no air gaps. With the window shades pulled down, you don’t see the reflectix at all which makes the wife happy.

2. Our A/C is ducted. I took down each duct and used aluminum duct tape to seal around the outlet of each duct to prevent the cool air from conditioning the air gap between the inside and outside roof.

3. If you have a Whisper Quiet system then this next step won’t work. For a traditional system, this provided the best improvement. Remove the filter housing and cover on the A/C. Both the intake and exhaust of the A/C are in the 14”X14” area and are separated by a flimsy piece of insulation. With using aluminum duct tape, both hold that flimsy divider and seal all the edges in place. If your system is ducted, also seal around the edges of the ducts to prevent conditioning of the space between the inner and outer roof. Before you put the covers back on, turn the A/C on and feel for any air leaks between the intake and exhaust sides. If you find any, seal them up!

4. Pre-cool the RV down early in the morning. If the inside is 5 degrees cooler starting off in the morning then by the evening it will be 1-3 degrees cooler depending on how well the RV is insulated.

5. If you have south facing rooms in your RV that aren’t being used then keep the doors closed to those rooms. We have a bunk room and a bathroom that faces south. So those doors stay closed during the hot times of the day.

6. Get some tower fans to help blow air on you. It can really make higher temps a lot more toerable.

With doing these things, we went from an inside temp of 88 degrees on a 100 degree day to an inside temp of 78 degrees with the outside temp of 104!!

Solid info! Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

These are a ripoff for what they are (a big block of styrofoam), but they DO help your airflow:

Improve the performance of your RV air conditioner! Our system increases you’re A/C’s cooling by maximizing its transfer efficiency! EFFICENCY IS EVERYTHING! Cooling down your RV faster, Quieter, and more Comfortable! Coleman, Dometic, Furrion, & GE Air Conditioners ( Grand Design, Thor, Forest River, Jayco… and more )

Also, pull your individual duct vents, and make sure the connections inside are sealed well (use the special foil duct taping). These are often “half-azzed” at the factory, and you end up with half your air being blown into the void between roof and ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        Moser added one to his. I want to say he just wired in a plug outside. There is a DIY thread

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That’s the only way I can see 2 running on 30 amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
          These are a ripoff for what they are (a big block of styrofoam), but they DO help your airflow:

Improve the performance of your RV air conditioner! Our system increases you’re A/C’s cooling by maximizing its transfer efficiency! EFFICENCY IS EVERYTHING! Cooling down your RV faster, Quieter, and more Comfortable! Coleman, Dometic, Furrion, & GE Air Conditioners ( Grand Design, Thor, Forest River, Jayco… and more )

Also, pull your individual duct vents, and make sure the connections inside are sealed well (use the special foil duct taping). These are often “half-azzed” at the factory, and you end up with half your air being blown into the void between roof and ceiling.
          I DYI'd mine and it really helps. Also did as you did with the foil tape at the vent intersection with the duct. Pics of my DYI at this link. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...&postcount=219

Wife and I are looking at a slightly bigger rig and the one we want only has a single unit on it which won't do so I won't pull it off the lot without adding a second if we end up getting it.

Comment

Comment

I put an additional ac in the bunk room. Trailer was not wired for ac so it came with a 30 or maybe 50’ cable. Tied it off to back of trailer on ladder with zero issues when not in use or traveling. In Texas you need to two ac’s. Once we added the 2nd ac we had zero issues keeping trailer cool. Money well spent.

Comment

Mine just has one 15,000 btu a/c. We have bought three of the reflective windshield covers and put them in our big windows behind the blinds. It seems to help with the heat load.

Comment

I made window shields for all my windows in my 5th wheel. I used a three layer system. Reflective bubble wrap, Cloraplas and reflective wrap again. Sealed the edges with gorilla tape. Painted black , you can’t even notice them in the windows. The trailer stays much cooler now. I also did the foil tape. All this takes a little time, but worth it.

Comment

Get you some of these as well:

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                      I understand that but almost all will have an option of added a 2nd so why not just do it at the dealership

I have heard salesmen say “you will be good with just one” and I think to myself they have lost their dang mind

Same reason they sell 22’ boats with 90 horse motors. It’s all about the sale. Lower price equals more sales.

Comment

I have 4 guys that work for me that just had mini splits installed in their trailers. They swear by them and don’t even use their main a/c’s anymore.

Comment

91Cavgt

Great info!! Thank you. We will be adding a 2nd unit very soon. But, in the mean time I like making what I have more efficient.

Comment

I am about to install a mini split in my 32 ft class C. Any more recommendations on brands? Any tips on installation? Would like a unit that doesn't require vacuuming the lines.. suck at electrical work. Can do the rest. Like to find a tbh'er that could do the electrical part of the installation.

Comment

As a rule a single camper ac will only depress the inside temp by 20 deg under the outside temp. We just stuck a 6000 BTU window unit in a window and let her rip. Inside temp never gets above 75 with both running.

Comment

Do those struggling have it under cover??

Getting ours in the shade did wonders.

Comment

Working...
                                X