No announcement yet.

RV Trailer for Half Ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use to blow buy 1/2 tons pulling campers on 10 all the time. The drivers looked miserable as did the steering wheels the were squeezing the life out of.

Morgan Building

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
      I use to blow buy 1/2 tons pulling campers on 10 all the time. The drivers looked miserable as did the steering wheels the were squeezing the life out of.

Morgan Building

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
      How could you tell that when you were Blowing by them

Comment

21 footer shouldn’t be a problem. If you go bigger, remember the “tongue weight” can be as much of a problem as the total weight. I’ve got a 33 footer, I tow with a one-ton. It only weighs about 7700lbs, but the tongue weight is almost 900. By the time you add some cargo and a heavy weight distribution hitch, you’ve got 1000 plus on the back of your truck. Really too heavy to be towing well/easily with a 1/2 ton.

Like I said, if you go bigger, don’t just look at total weight, look at tongue weight. You can do over 6-700 with a 1/2 ton, but it’s not fun. Try to stay there or less.

Get set up for a trailer brake controller, as well. Folks with 1/2 tons often overlook this, thinking it’s ok, since their bass boat trailer doesn’t have them.

Comment

With my Tundra pulling our 19 foot bunk house I got 9mpg. Pulling my 28 foot Grand Design with the same truck I get 9 mpg. Get a camper that fits your needs and can be pulled safely. Also I follow Keith Warrens You Tube stuff and they are saying that used RVs are tanking fast. Look for the guy who had to have a new one two years ago and now hates it.

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
            21 footer shouldn’t be a problem. If you go bigger, remember the “tongue weight” can be as much of a problem as the total weight. I’ve got a 33 footer, I tow with a one-ton. It only weighs about 7700lbs, but the tongue weight is almost 900. By the time you add some cargo and a heavy weight distribution hitch, you’ve got 1000 plus on the back of your truck. Really too heavy to be towing well/easily with a 1/2 ton.

Like I said, if you go bigger, don’t just look at total weight, look at tongue weight. You can do over 6-700 with a 1/2 ton, but it’s not fun. Try to stay there or less.
            I don't think you are using the "weight distributing" hitch, correctly. It's designed to transfer tongue weight onto the other axles...

With a good brake controller, and functional brakes, a TT adds very little stopping distance these days. If I turned mine up, it would stop faster than the truck itself. I'd say 1/2 ton transmissions, and tires, would be my biggest concern. Also, if you get a short trailer in that 18'-21' range, don't get a single axle...that's a terrible idea and should not be considered, imo.

Comment

I have a 21’ TT I tow with a Coyote motor F150 (soon to be Chebby Silverado 1500). It handles it without an issue.

I use a weight distribution hitch and it is tandem axles. Tandem axles was an absolute when I was looking as ^^^ pointed out.

Like others said, just like towing any other trailer, be conscious of what you are doing and proactively be aware of your surroundings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I don't think you are using the "weight distributing" hitch, correctly. It's designed to transfer tongue weight onto the other axles...

With a good brake controller, and functional brakes, a TT adds very little stopping distance these days. If I turned mine up, it would stop faster than the truck itself. I'd say 1/2 ton transmissions, and tires, would be my biggest concern. Also, if you get a short trailer in that 18'-21' range, don't get a single axle...that's a terrible idea and should not be considered, imo.
                No, I’m using it properly, and it pulls/levels fine (not a problem with a 1 ton).

The “payload” you see for trucks is for weight in the bed, not for weight 1 foot BEHIND THE BED. Yes, the distribution hitch “re-distributes” it, but a 900 lb tongue weight (plus another couple hundred pounds in the front of the trailer), plus another few hundred pounds of coolers/junk in the bed, will quickly have a 1/2 ton owner bumping up against max payload (as low as 1600-1800 lbs on some).

Comment

RV Trailer for Half Ton

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
                  No, I’m using it properly, and it pulls/levels fine (not a problem with a 1 ton).

The “payload” you see for trucks is for weight in the bed, not for weight 1 foot BEHIND THE BED. Yes, the distribution hitch “re-distributes” it, but a 900 lb tongue weight (plus another couple hundred pounds in the front of the trailer), plus another few hundred pounds of coolers/junk in the bed, will quickly have a 1/2 ton owner bumping up against max payload (as low as 1600-1800 lbs on some).

Then put another notch on the bars, and take some weight off the tongue….it works, I’ve done it. I drive a 1 ton also, but I’ve done this with half tons, it quite literally takes weight off the tongue, and the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

I’m not suggesting anyone overload their overall rig, but you CAN change the tongue weight with the hitch.
                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-14-2022, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X