Clear All

Internet is not good… sorry if these get posted 2x

Click image for larger version

Name:	358A0F56-830C-4DE0-B989-0D6DE7835DCC.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	24685897

Comment

We have made to 80 mile hike from Kennedy Meadows to Kearsarge Pass (taking us out to Independence, CA). We are posted up the road in Bishop, CA at a hostel called The Hostel California or THC for short. Cool place. Definately a California vibe. Our last 80 miles took us into the southern portion of the Sierras including the 13,500 foot Forester Pass (highest point on the PCT). We finally reached sone water with trout and I managed to catch some Golden Trout and even a few tiny Brooks. Water is gin clear… day time fishing is tough. They really start feeding at dusk and dawn when the mosquitoes come out. Mosquitoes are bad in areas near water (hatch occurs after snow melts). We are going back in after we resupply and I know from past experience the next 8 days will have us crossing many more streams and more fishing opportunities. The other day I fished Tyndall Creek (runs off of Forester Pass). The water was as clear as water can be. I found a tiny red ant pattern to work in the daytime. Unfortunately we camped above the creek so I was unable to test the waters at dusk. The climb up Forester Pass was amazing. Climbs like that always have a payoff. When we go back in we get to tackle Glen Pass which is known to be a bit of a A kicker. The good news is I was able to find new hiking shoes in Bishop. My first pair are dunzo (800 miles).

Name:	92925015-A8CA-423C-AE07-FC1451D64E9B.jpeg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	24686190

Name:	F9B068B0-7E0F-431E-ACCD-7F673A7740D7.jpeg
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	24686191

Name:	99C3D57A-EE97-4485-AD28-6E047A54FA78.jpeg
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	24686192

Name:	F6352E6B-F7D3-4113-80DF-31ED56EC60A6.jpeg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	24686193

Comment

I wanted also to make this a separate post. June 6th was a big climbing day. Stuff bounces around in one’s head during the day and of course on June 6th it turned to thinking about the sacrifices made on June 6th 1944. At one point I started thinking about how hard my day was because of the climb and then I switched back to thinking about the climbs that were made on D-Day - the b*lls it took to climb down a cargo net and into a Higgins Boat and of course the climb the Rangers had at Point Du-Hoc. Then I realized my day was the easiest day. All of our days are easy compared to days like June 6th 1944. I took a second and sat down and just reflected. My journey would have been possible without the sacrifices made on that day and of course the rest of the war.

Name:	46DD60B5-5B31-446A-8E0F-6A4C154EF731.jpeg
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	24686194

Comment

Man, this is great. Safe hiking the rest of the way!

Comment

You and Kelly hang in there Brandon!!! Safe travels!

Comment

Very cool! That scenery looks awesome. Keep it up and thanks for the update

Comment

appreciate the update, yall are moving on!

Comment

Just plain awesome, each post just keeps getting better.

Thanks a million for letting us continue to follow.
                  Rwc

Comment

This is greatness!!! Have fun and be safe!!

Comment

Thanks. I enjoy doing the updates. We are resupplying and resting in Bishop. New shoes, fix leak in sleeping pad, bs with other hikers at hostel, drink beer, rest, buy food for 7 days, drink beer at Rusty’s Saloon. The next slog is a biggy and rest is needed. We are staying at the coolest hostel - The Hostel California. It’s right around the corner from everything in Bishop and they even have loner bikes. Bishop is a cool town - there is an old school tackle shop (bought a few more flies), 3 hiking outfitters and even a bowling alley. It’s been one of the best stops so far. The ornamental garden at the hostel is interesting, but I think a skunk might live near by?

Name:	01B8D32C-50F8-446D-81C7-33BCFE01CC3A.jpeg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24686213

Name:	C29F59A0-0F35-4C03-A6A7-D085E8EB25D5.jpeg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	24686214

Name:	E329CB2E-5FD8-437C-B4CA-535F219A2E60.jpeg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	24686215

Name:	1A5B493B-2A82-4E75-BB7D-7E831A4B8AF1.jpeg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	24686216

Name:	CD7A092C-7A2C-41BF-90A2-67E2DB667E00.jpeg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	24686217

Name:	BB22AA0C-01A0-4BBF-A53A-9BFFF095A6DE.jpeg
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	24686218

Comment

If you inhale deep you may be able to determine if it’s truly a skunk. Safe travels.

Comment

First, this thread is AWESOME! Thanks so much for taking the time to share stories and pixels.

Second, y'alls body transformations are cool. Both of you are looking leaner and meaner.

Thanks again - helped get me stoked to do parts of the AT with my son in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by ny bowhunter View Post
                            First, this thread is AWESOME! Thanks so much for taking the time to share stories and pixels.

Second, y'alls body transformations are cool. Both of you are looking leaner and meaner.

Thanks again - helped get me stoked to do parts of the AT with my son in the near future.
                            Thank you. We are def feeling our bodies reacting. We both lost weight and hiker hunger has kicked in. We are both trying to eat good while here in Bushop, it is tough to carry enough calories out on big slogs. You will enjoy the AT… just be ready to climb! Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                              I wanted also to make this a separate post. June 6th was a big climbing day. Stuff bounces around in one’s head during the day and of course on June 6th it turned to thinking about the sacrifices made on June 6th 1944. At one point I started thinking about how hard my day was because of the climb and then I switched back to thinking about the climbs that were made on D-Day - the b*lls it took to climb down a cargo net and into a Higgins Boat and of course the climb the Rangers had at Point Du-Hoc. Then I realized my day was the easiest day. All of our days are easy compared to days like June 6th 1944. I took a second and sat down and just reflected. My journey would have been possible without the sacrifices made on that day and of course the rest of the war.

[ATTACH]1092201[/ATTACH]

You are so right sir. Awesome journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First reception in 10 days. We are through the big passes of the high sierras. Last 10 days have been tough… snow, sleet, rain, lightning. Really crazy weather on passes (we have been at 10,000 feet plus most time). Snow melt mosquito hatch is also brutal (I thought Anahuac had the high water mark on mosquitoes…. I may have been wrong). Had a big bear visit our camp at dusk last night. First Bear of hike! Really cool to see. The weather system we hiked through produced some cold nights… at least 2 that were in high 20s. Frozen water bottles in Mornings! I will post some pics later in day.

Comment

Working...
                                X