300+ gr 44mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300+ gr 44mag

Anyone have experience with 300 plus grain pills out of the 44 mag? I’m looking to push some heave cast pills around 1000fps from a suppressed contender SBR.

GT bullets has some 305gr cast hollow points that look good they have a bhn of 10 I believe so the should expand some.

I don't see gas checks on those bullets. I'd worry about barrel leading.

Comment

I load the 300 hornady XTP it expands at subsonic and is jacketed so no leading up supressor

Comment

H110 powder would be an excellent starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
          H110 powder would be an excellent starting point.
          That’s what my plan is. I’ve got 10-13lbs of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            I don't see gas checks on those bullets. I'd worry about barrel leading.
            Didn’t think gas checks were needed at lower velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by RWNJRB View Post
              I load the 300 hornady XTP it expands at subsonic and is jacketed so no leading up supressor
              Leading the suppressor is a bit of a concern but silencerco said that as long as your not pushing soft alloys hard they should be fine. They also told me to do a mag dump every now and then to cook it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                Didn’t think gas checks were needed at lower velocity.
                At 1000 fps you should be fine without. I think it becomes a problem around 1200 and with softer lead. You could also look at powder coating your bullets which would also alleviate any concern if velocities got higher. Cheap and easy to do on your own too.

Comment

I have not dealt with silencerco so cannot comment on their advice. But, to me, that's taking a chance that if it were mine I would not be willing to take. Please let us know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by RWNJRB View Post
                    I have not dealt with silencerco so cannot comment on their advice. But, to me, that's taking a chance that if it were mine I would not be willing to take. Please let us know how it works out.
                    I’ve shot a fair amount of hard cast powder coated 300blk and 458 socom all subsonic velocity without issue yet. Key word yet.. I saved the emails from them just in case

Comment

went down that road some time back , got some 300gr gas check ... had a hard time getting them to shoot as good as i wanted ... switched to xtp 300's and shrank my group quite a bit... i'd have to look at my card of reload to remember what i used but it wasn't h110 .. if i recall h110 isn't the greatest for lead bullets ... but don't quote me on that.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXUWhLaK18o&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]AGM Taipan TM15 Racoon @ 50 yards Warning Graphic content. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                        went down that road some time back , got some 300gr gas check ... had a hard time getting them to shoot as good as i wanted ... switched to xtp 300's and shrank my group quite a bit... i'd have to look at my card of reload to remember what i used but it wasn't h110 .. if i recall h110 isn't the greatest for lead bullets ... but don't quote me on that.

AGM Taipan TM15 Racoon @ 50 yards Warning Graphic content. - YouTube

Main reason I’d like to go with cast is price, I’ll be able to load 2-3:1 those xtps are a big spendy, and hard to come by.

Comment

I cast the Lyman 429649 bullet at 345 grains, I usually load it over 15 to 17 grains of 2400. It is one of the most accurate bullets there is in .44 magnum. I also have the Lee 310 grain .44 mold. Use the same powder charges, it isn't quite as accurate as the Lyman design, but has a larger meplat.I think Western Cast Bullet company sells the Lyman bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                            I cast the Lyman 429649 bullet at 345 grains, I usually load it over 15 to 17 grains of 2400. It is one of the most accurate bullets there is in .44 magnum. I also have the Lee 310 grain .44 mold. Use the same powder charges, it isn't quite as accurate as the Lyman design, but has a larger meplat.I think Western Cast Bullet company sells the Lyman bullet.
                            Would you be interested in casting me some? I’d be more than willing to pay you for them.

Comment

Coated or gas checked would be the only way I would go. An exposed lead base creates a build up on my pistol comps so I can only imagine what the build up would look like on a suppressor baffle.

Missouri Bullet Company has a nice 300gn WFN coated bullet. I bought a few to try and and they were very accurate out of my revolvers.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X