Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scope Lapping - Is It Neccessary to protect action from compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope Lapping - Is It Neccessary to protect action from compound?

I'm going to be lapping the rings for my wife's new rifle and scope. Rifle is a Weatherby Camilla, Leupold VX3i 4-14x40 30mm and Talley rings/base. Being the **** perfectionist that I am, I'm wondering how do others protect the rifle action/barrel from compound/ring shavings that fall during the lapping process? I've not seen a single gunsmith do so during any YouTube vids, but I'm going to. I'm thinking of using painters tape to cover the exposed action and other areas. Am I over thinking this?

Probably overthinking it but you could easily cover it

Comment

No lapping is generally unnecessary. What on earth are you lapping the rings?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

You could just lay a rag over it.

Comment

I’m also A-Nal and lap scope rings . I lap rings about 25% to clean up high spots

Comment

We have had some long discussions on long range shooters and the determination was that with modern quality rings it does more harm than good.

What are you mounting the scope on?

Comment

I really never thought about the shavings as they are super fine and can be wiped off or like Felix40 said just lay a rag over the action area. The thing I like about lapping is you know your rings are perfectly in line for the scope tube. My wife loves her Wby.

Comment

Get some Saran wrap from the kitchen drawer and drape it over the action area--cut slits in it just large enough to allow the rings to stick thru--

Comment

If you are that **** you should own a barrel vise and action wrench. There really is no way to get the chamber or action clean while they are assembled.

After lapping clean with compressed air. I don't lap but if it makes you more confident on the trigger, go for it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t do it! Unless you are very experienced you’ll screw up more than you correct.

Comment

Lapping compound is like putty & you don't need much...a little will ooze outside the rings & not like dry shavings are going to go flying so yeah, overthinking.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
                        We have had some long discussions on long range shooters and the determination was that with modern quality rings it does more harm than good.

What are you mounting the scope on?

Scope is being mounted on a Weatherby Camilla Vanguard using Talley 1-piece rings/bases. I tried several Leupold rings and bases but each one extended over the ejection port of the action.

For those claiming you can do more harm than good, please explain. Are you suggesting too much material could be removed from the rings and not enable good, consistent contact with the scope tube?

Comment

I have never lapped rings and don’t plan to start. However, I am running Spuhr and ZRO Delta one piece mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            Scope is being mounted on a Weatherby Camilla Vanguard using Talley 1-piece rings/bases. I tried several Leupold rings and bases but each one extended over the ejection port of the action.

For those claiming you can do more harm than good, please explain. Are you suggesting too much material could be removed from the rings and not enable good, consistent contact with the scope tube?
                            I don't think it is needed, but don't be afraid of it either. If it goes wrong replace the rings.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a wheeler kit that I use for my scopes (most of which are two piece). The kit has alignment bars and a lapping bar. I am not sure I could get the scope sitting perfectly in the rings without using them both. Maybe I overthink things as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X