A couple handgun kills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
    What optics are you running? I have a Super Redhawk in the 454 and struggled to keep a scope on it. I was told you have to use steel rings because aluminum rings can’t handle the percussions. I’m going to send it to MagnaPort and hopefully I’ll be able to hold a scope of some sort on afterwards.

Great job on laying down the animals, hopefully I’ll be able to join your handgun club soon!!

Hey Homer, thanks for asking. In the pics I have a Vortex Venom 3MOA. However, just yesterday I switched it out to a Trijicon RMR Type 2 1MOA. The Vortex works great - no complaints at all. But, I really want to stretch the legs on the 460 and felt I needed a smaller dot in order to do that.

Shot the RMR in yesterday and it looks like it will be a winner as well. It's smaller in size (total footprint), and I really like that.

I think porting your .454 will definitely help. It most likely kicks harder than my .460 because of the muzzle brake and overall weight of this pistol. Good luck with it and let me know how it works out. PM me if you ever want to talk handgun hunting. I've been at it almost 20 years and might be able to help guide you if needed. No ego intended - just a genuine desire to help. I've had plenty of mentors along my journey...

Randy

Comment

I had issue with a few optics and the one i posted about is rated to handle the abuse the hand guns seem to be much harder on optics than others .

Comment

What yardage are you comfortable out to with a handgun? Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by bk913 View Post
          What yardage are you comfortable out to with a handgun? Just curious

With the Vortex, 100 yards. And for Texas I don't see any need for more than that. Both animals above were in the 60-65 yard range. Beyond 100 with a 3MOA red dot, things start to get tough visually.

However, this gun is absolutely capable of 200-250 yards. My goal with going to a 1MOA dot is to be able to shoot it at Elk-size animals out to 150 yards. I'm hoping to draw New Mexico next year and is exactly why I'm working on 'stretching its legs'.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
            I had issue with a few optics and the one i posted about is rated to handle the abuse the hand guns seem to be much harder on optics than others .

Yeah the Delta Point has a good reputation. I'm surprised you had issues with it. I've also owned a Burris FF3 that worked quite well but the biggest caliber I ever had it on was a 44.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
              Hey Homer, thanks for asking. In the pics I have a Vortex Venom 3MOA. However, just yesterday I switched it out to a Trijicon RMR Type 2 1MOA. The Vortex works great - no complaints at all. But, I really want to stretch the legs on the 460 and felt I needed a smaller dot in order to do that.

Shot the RMR in yesterday and it looks like it will be a winner as well. It's smaller in size (total footprint), and I really like that.

I think porting your .454 will definitely help. It most likely kicks harder than my .460 because of the muzzle brake and overall weight of this pistol. Good luck with it and let me know how it works out. PM me if you ever want to talk handgun hunting. I've been at it almost 20 years and might be able to help guide you if needed. No ego intended - just a genuine desire to help. I've had plenty of mentors along my journey...

Randy
              My buddy bought the 460 and he said it's way easier than my 454 due to porting, he won't shoot my 454 now that he has the ported 460.

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                    My buddy bought the 460 and he said it's way easier than my 454 due to porting, he won't shoot my 454 now that he has the ported 460.
                    I use to have a super RedHawk in .454 and experienced the exact same thing as your friend. The grip also has a lot to do with it in my opinion. The smith grip is unbelievably comfortable for me.

Comment

One other thing that NEVER gets old with this pistol. The looks I get at the gun range when I set up on the 100 yard range next to everyone else. Funny reactions and it always starts great conversations with others.

Comment

Nice shoot-n . Wheelie guns are a lot of fun!

I love pistol hunting, when I get the chance. Hope to get back out there some day. I sure miss it.

Super 14 in 35Rem with a 1.5-4x20 Burris. Got plenty of others too.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	11-06-05_0909.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	24562677

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Nice shoot-n . Wheelie guns are a lot of fun!

I love pistol hunting, when I get the chance. Hope to get back out there some day. I sure miss it.

Super 14 in 35Rem with a 1.5-4x20 Burris. Got plenty of others too.
                          [ATTACH]935393[/ATTACH]
                          Very nice setup TG. The 35 Rem is a great caliber.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

SW came up with a great round in the .460
                              It has been on my short list for awhile. I've almost pulled the trigger a couple times ordering one. One day.
                              Glad to see your success with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
                                SW came up with a great round in the .460
                                It has been on my short list for awhile. I've almost pulled the trigger a couple times ordering one. One day.
                                Glad to see your success with it.
                                That’s a very true statement. Before the 460 hit it stride I could sell my 454 all day for $1k, not so much now. It’s getting out the 460 is a very tamed hand cannon. The 460 shoots the 45 LC, 454 and the 460, all 3 are good hunting calibers.

Comment

Working...
                                X