Food Plots in Llano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plots in Llano

Is it possible to plant a decent food plot in llano county? I have acreage in west llano close to Mason and the ground is covered with granite. Some surface granite, some a couple inches deep. People in and around the area know what I'm talking about. I was wanting to plow the ground and plant sunflowers next year for dove, but I'm concerned with the subsurface granite destroying the plow. Any ideas, tips or advice on doing this? Should I even plow, or just broadcast spread seeds on raw ground and hope for the best? Thanks in advance!

I’d just broad cast Milo and sunflowers. I think you would have a better hunt if you could provide some water some how

Comment

Yes sir, that's in the works. Working on getting a wildlife tax exemption so were looking at constructing a large stock tank. I was wanting to put some food plots out as well, but the granite is my enemy.

Comment

Just broadcast mid April next year. You should get some germination, especially on a newly constructed pond.

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
          Just broadcast mid April next year. You should get some germination, especially on a newly constructed pond.
          Or broadcast the last week of August. Repeat often. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
            Or broadcast the last week of August. Repeat often. :-)
            I like the way you think sir.
            So the majority opinion is to simply broadcast spread seeds. Will spring rains be enough for germinating? Obviously not 100%, but enough to make it worth my while?

Comment

If you can scratch the surface of some areas do that. I would just to get good contact then spread areas where you don’t want to break a plow.

Comment

I’ve got the same issues wanting to do some plots but don’t want to ruin equipment. Tried broadcasting with some success. Big thing for sunflowers is water. Mine did well with all these rains but when it dried up the past month they died

Comment

Working...
                X