Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Airboatpete View Post
    New to this Forum. Found this thread that interests me. I’ve been a traditional bow hunter since 1968. Just took a winter position at Seminole Canyon SP. as Park Host/Maintaince. So I will be living 30 minutes from Amistad from Sept to Dec. I’ve done some research on the area, rules/regs, etc. but can use any advice or pointers anyone can give.
    Also looking at maybe picking up a boat. Looks like it might be handy.
    Welcome to Texas Sir.

Please see my first post on this thread...#3ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Brokegrunt08 View Post
      In my home station, Fort Drum, NY, to be able to hunt with archery equipment you had to pass a shooting test. Random known distance and shot placement were the pass or fail components. Also, they would give you a quick word of mouth quiz on your equipment to see if you were up to date or if you were just “wasting their time”. What is y’alls thought on that? Would it be a possibility for Amistad if enough of us got together? Or would it be a sort of exclusion to new comers or others? Just seeing what y’all think on that.
      That sounds like the IBEP course, which is great and I’d like to see everyone pass it because I agree, sounds like a lot of cripples out there. Unfortunately a mandatory course like that will not change unethical hunters. They will still try to shoot beyond either their limits or their equipment limits. The only way I see to stop this madness is to try to instill ethics into them. In 51 years of bow hunting, I’ve only lost 4 animals I can recall. All shots were under 20 yards. 3 of them I thought were perfect hits. Stevie Wonder could have followed the blood trail. Yet never recovered. The 3rd was a bad on me. Bad angle therefore bad hit. But I killed that deer the next year. He was still carrying my Bear razor head so I know he didn’t run off and die. The other 3 lost so much blood they have to have died.

Comment

In my home station, Fort Drum, NY, to be able to hunt with archery equipment you had to pass a shooting test. Random known distance and shot placement were the pass or fail components. Also, they would give you a quick word of mouth quiz on your equipment to see if you were up to date or if you were just “wasting their time”. What is y’alls thought on that? Would it be a possibility for Amistad if enough of us got together? Or would it be a sort of exclusion to new comers or others? Just seeing what y’all think on that.
        I dissagree with this. First of all, it is a rule from New York (that's sarcasm). I believe in expanding g the sport. This so called course is basically saying you will be allowed to hunt when the government says you are capable of hunting. It will discourage many would be hunters. I don't know of anyone that you can qualify as a qualified hunter on his first time out. We learn as we continue hunting and as we get more experienced we teach our kids and our friends that express interest in hunting.

We learn about a sport as we gain experience and being out there. Do you really think all the successful hunters didn't go hunting until they knew everything about hunting? No, they learned everything about hunting by being out there, be it with family or friends.

A hunters safety course is different. It teaches gun safety and it applies to archery also. To me this course sounds like it will disqualify would be hunters.

So definitely not. They can keep that regulation in New York, one of the most gun restrictive states in this country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a bow hunter education course I just recently took in order to hunt Hagerman this fall. I believe all bowhunters in Texas should be required to take it. The course is online first and then you have take part in a field day.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
            There's a bow hunter education course I just recently took in order to hunt Hagerman this fall. I believe all bowhunters in Texas should be required to take it. The course is online first and then you have take part in a field day.
            Would you be willing to post a link to the course?

Comment

Originally posted by gregfrancescon View Post
              Would you be willing to post a link to the course?
              It's on tpwd website. Or search Texas bowhunter education.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Just looked this up and am going to take the course offered in September. Looks like the field day portion will be the most help as there's some tracking education involved and I'm not great shakes at tracking.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                  Just looked this up and am going to take the course offered in September. Looks like the field day portion will be the most help as there's some tracking education involved and I'm not great shakes at tracking.

Richard.
                  Good deal.

Comment

It's on tpwd website. Or search Texas bowhunter education.

Is this needed for any other areas? I got a little confused on the wording for the course. I plan on hunting Sam Houston this fall and will buy my archery endorsement but didnt know if I needed this as well.

Comment

It's not needed for most areas, but it's nice to be reminded of proper hunting ethics such as shot placement, when not to shoot, etc.

Comment

It's not needed for most areas, but it's nice to be reminded of proper hunting ethics such as shot placement, when not to shoot, etc.

Thanks.

Comment

Man this anthrax outbreak is getting awfully close to us out here. Anybody know where the closest confirmed die off is? Pedernal, Victor, yall heard anything?

Comment

Any feedback if the anthrax got close to the lake? I’m planning on coming down in Oct and Nov to do a 5 day hunt.

I was stationed at LAFB in the early 2000’s and harvested a few animals out there. Hoping it’s as good a time as it used to be.

Any intel on animal movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Man this anthrax outbreak is getting awfully close to us out here. Anybody know where the closest confirmed die off is? Pedernal, Victor, yall heard anything?
                              No anthrax around the lake hunting zones or even close, thankfully... lots and lots of spiders and spider webs the creepy crawlers should be gone by the first of the year . No need for you to come hunt... I will let you know when they are all gone

Originally posted by Jetlander View Post
                              Any feedback if the anthrax got close to the lake? I’m planning on coming down in Oct and Nov to do a 5 day hunt.

I was stationed at LAFB in the early 2000’s and harvested a few animals out there. Hoping it’s as good a time as it used to be.

Any intel on animal movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Haven’t been on the hunt areas yet but other places around the lake have a healthy deer population... rain was good up until about mid year and know it’s been extremely dry... hoping we get some rain soon as the vegetation is parched... shoot me a pm once you are getting closer to heading down here I will share my observations
                              Last edited by Pedernal; 09-01-2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Not sure increased government regulation is the solution... Honestly, peeps just need to respect the natural resources. Seems like there is a lack of upbringing lessons in hunting just like in everything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X