Buckwheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buckwheat

Do any of you guys have any luck with buckwheat in summer plots? I was thinking about top sowing some next May in to my fall plot to extend the life into the summer.

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
    Do any of you guys have any luck with buckwheat in summer plots? I was thinking about top sowing some next May in to my fall plot to extend the life into the summer.
    Our buddy planted some up in Voss/ salt gap it is definitely good stuff

Comment

What are you wanting to sow them into? I planted some 2-3 years ago. They weren’t as preferable as other plants. But could still be a good choice depending on what your going on top of

Comment

I planted quite a bit of buckwheat in a mix including sunn hemp, cow peas, and soy beans this year and am impressed with the buckwheat. It came up quickly, flowered has gone to seed and is mostly dead in the plots now. Surprising to me the deer ate it readily. I didn't expect that as I was using it more for soil conditioning and weed suppression. I will continue using it in the future.

Comment

The deer liked it but to me it matured and played out too quick. I like it in the mix but not as a major portion of the plot.

Comment

I’m told it will double crop if you disc it after it goes to seed. I planted three plots this year mostly for the soil building properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              I’m told it will double crop if you disc it after it goes to seed. I planted three plots this year mostly for the soil building properties.
              I may need to try this. I have a plot in red clay soil that grows weeds like crazy but beans are slow growing. Might make the plot better.

Comment

My bow plot planted in late May.
                Attached Files

Comment

That is what mine looked like in May. Haven't been able to get back since and check it out. I think the soybeans drowned, iron clay peas some looked to come up. Sorghum was coming up. Not sure on the millet or sunflowers or sunhemp

Comment

My sunflowers are almost taking over, I think I added too many

Comment

Working...
                    X