Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornado damage

Made it to Leon county
    Separate storm after the one that hit Franklin really got us.
    Two separate paths across the place. Hard to get around, but appears 100 large oak trees down. Sadly, seems the bigger they were, the more apt to get twisted off or blown over. One hog proof food plot fence was down, but the another plot survived.
    I am trying to see the silver lining. I have been doing hinge cuts the past couple of years. Now I have a whole bunch of new “openings” in the canopy and lots of bedding areas that were previously open and “park-like.” And the pasture looks like a jungle of new growth. Luckily, our cabin was unscathed.
    Saw some fawns in the yard. Also saw some pregnant does. Thought they would have all dropped by now.
    Surprisingly little hog sign, but managed to kill an adult boar and sow between clearing road and stacking firewood.
    FYI. This is just north of centerville.

We did a lot of road repairs this weekend on the place I hunt outside of Jewett. So many washouts. One crossing is likely never gonna be useable again. It's every bit of 10 foot across and 12 feet deep. Thankfully that was the extent of the damage for us.

We still have several pregnant does on camera and haven't seen a single fawn on camera or otherwise.

Comment

The tornadoes have been rough this spring. Along with the straight line winds. As you mentioned we also have a lot of free "hinge cut" trees this year.

Comment

I'll trade hog meat (pan sausage) for oak wood... Lol

Comment

Originally posted by BCBHunter712 View Post
          The tornadoes have been rough this spring. Along with the straight line winds. As you mentioned we also have a lot of free "hinge cut" trees this year.
          same here. I have, or had, heavy timber before last week. Going this evening to evaluate the south side, its hard to get to anyway.
          yes, looks like a lot of trees blown or broken over. Lots of firewood and lots of hinge-cut types of scenarios. Except several of mine have fell into a deep creek bed which I can't leave because of greater flood potential.
          Will post pics later.

Comment

Hurricane Ike did the same thing to us when it came through. It spun off so many tornados that took down tons of trees. It was a mess and tons of work. Clean up took forever.

It killed the hunting for deer season. Like the poster above said many trees end up in a hinge cut scenario. This provides tons of fresh browse and bedding cover. The deer never came out into shooting lanes and all they had to do is turn their head to eat. In the woods you couldnt even walk because of the mess it created.

I would have never believed it could be that bad of hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
              Hurricane Ike did the same thing to us when it came through. It spun off so many tornados that took down tons of trees. It was a mess and tons of work. Clean up took forever.

It killed the hunting for deer season. Like the poster above said many trees end up in a hinge cut scenario. This provides tons of fresh browse and bedding cover. The deer never came out into shooting lanes and all they had to do is turn their head to eat. In the woods you couldnt even walk because of the mess it created.

I would have never believed it could be that bad of hunting.
              Very true, I can't hardly walk through mine. Guess one good thing, it will attract all the wildlife from the neighbor ranches now...lol
              Tree canopy will be less and thickets/grass will be everywhere. Lots of browse.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                same here. I have, or had, heavy timber before last week. Going this evening to evaluate the south side, its hard to get to anyway.
                yes, looks like a lot of trees blown or broken over. Lots of firewood and lots of hinge-cut types of scenarios. Except several of mine have fell into a deep creek bed which I can't leave because of greater flood potential.
                Will post pics later.
                If anyone can help me post pics here, let know the trick. Reducing size didn't help, the app on here still rejected them.

Comment

Working...
                X