Black Walnut Syrup Time in SE Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Walnut Syrup Time in SE Iowa

We are making our 2023 batch of Black Walnut syrup this week. We have 6 trees tapped. We have collected about 20 gallons of sap so far. The sap is still flowing good. It flows best when the temperature drops below freezing at night and gets up in the 40s or higher during the day. The sap will flow until the trees start budding.

I guess I could make some money if I wanted to work at it, but we just make enough to last us a year. We have a lot of big Black Walnut trees. I only tap ones that are easy to get to.

The Black Walnut Tree does not produce nearly as much sap as a Maple tree, so it takes a lot more time and labor to produce a comparable amount of syrup. This causes the price of black walnut syrup to be much higher than maple syrup. An 8oz bottle of pure Black Walnut syrup sells for around $30.00. The retail price equates to approximately $500/gallon.[emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I bet it is really good!

Comment

Good stuff. Who knew?

Comment

Cool !
        State sent a letter to the rancher we work for , someone is going to trap some box elder trees on their state lease to study possibly having syrup production in the state.
        Not sure if they did it or not yet.

Comment

I knew of no such thing

Comment

I tell family west of you to do that every year.

Comment

How's it taste compared to maple?

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                Cool !
                State sent a letter to the rancher we work for , someone is going to trap some box elder trees on their state lease to study possibly having syrup production in the state.
                Not sure if they did it or not yet.
                I have heard it's really good. There is a man in North Dakota making it and selling it. He has about 100 trees tapped.

I would think I have some box elder trees, but I have no idea how to identify a box elder. I can identify my black walnut, white oaks, red oaks, burr oaks, willow oaks, black locust, honey locust, ash, etc, etc, but I don't know what a box elder looks like.

Here is link to to the man in North Dakota that's making box elder syrup.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                  I tell family west of you to do that every year.
                  It's definitely a Midwest thing. As you know there are a lot of Black Walnuts in Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                    How's it taste compared to maple?
                    Very similar in taste and color.

Comment

Is it the same process to get almond milk?

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Very cool indeed. I’ve never tasted it but guessing I would love it. I’m the guy that orders pancakes or waffles just to drown it in good syrup.

Comment

I have some black walnut trees but not near enough to do this.

Comment

Sounds like a trade should be in order.. my Sandhill Plum Jelly.. lol
                              Is there a video that shows the process? Sounds delicious!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 03-20-2023, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X