Granger PHL...The good and bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granger PHL...The good and bad

Went to Granger this morning to hog hunt. Started at gate 5. The bad, at the first gate right by the cattle guard, I guess the person who is running cattle out there tied the gate with barb wire. Went down the road and the other gates were fine. I will ask tomorrow at orientation if that is allowed for them to do that. Walked down to the river did not see hogs, only old sign.
    Now the good. On my walk saw 18 deer, looked like all doe. All looked fat and healthy. Hope I get drawn tomorrow. If not will still hunt the river area for hogs this season.

Good luck.

Comment

Your odds of getting drawn just went down.

Comment

Posting what you saw in a public forum, ill say its nonexistent at this point lol

Comment

Nice to see what appears to be a new post for the area. I guess I will head to the drawing. My caregiver responsibilites smother my opportunities but happy to do what I can for family needs. I live semi close so maybe a little walk with the ole shotgun than to the drawing. So many folks. Hard to whoop it but so it is. Best to all.

Comment

Yea, it's been quiet for hogs this season. Last season it was overrun with them. I'm taking a break to just sit and listen right now and hoped to come on here and find someone else who's seen them.

Comment

Out there last weekend, got drawn for deer. Saw 2 bucks, 3 does and heard a sounder of hogs. Got a nice young buck on game cam as well.

Comment

I got within about 40 ft of a hog squealing and saw fresh urine, droppings, and smelled them at a few different spots. Never saw one though. I need to get the boys out there again. At one point, I had to choose between two different angles. If I would have had someone pushing the other angle, we for sure would have had eyes on it.

Lotta deer though! I saw about 20 of them together at one point. I don't deer hunt though so I was paying more attention to if hogs were running with them than I was how many of what deer were in there.

I think I'm gonna give my usual spot a break and go push a different area next time. I've got three other areas that look promising.

Comment

Originally posted by sideler View Post
                  your odds of getting drawn just went down.
                  smh

Comment

Headed out the Granger tomorrow and through the weekend to hog hunt. Will hunt out of Gate 6 sown by the river, Sat maybe over by the 7. Anybody planning on being out this weekend.

Comment

This is a great weekend to go. Halloween weekend, so a lot of people will be tied up with families - including myself. I'll be out there with the guys next weekend off Gate 6. Good luck! Let us know what you see, if you don't mind.

One of these weekends I want to go check out gate 7 just to see what it's like over there. From gate 7, do you push E or W?

Comment

I mainly go east, seen lots of hog but could not get any shots. Went west all the way to the steps. Saw a couple beds near the water and saw lots of deer on the fence line next to farm land. If you are looking for a hike go over to Comanche bluff and walk down to primitive camp ground, shot a nice 70lb sow two years a go and saw a couple hogs last year, doe and 3 huge bucks, of course after deer season was over and a hen.
                        Yeah this weekend would be good plus heard it might rain some. Will post over the weekend.

Comment

Have you seen them E of Gate 7 recently? When I come in through Gate 6, I will push down to about the big culvert. That's about my southern boundary going through that gate. I've been always been curious what's on the other side of that culvert, and this seasons I've been wondering if that's where they moved to, or if they moved closer to the dam.

It's been pretty dead in my Gate 6 area all season long, so if that's the case this next trip then I'm going to have to go try Gate 7 and see if I can stick a pig.

Comment

Semi-live update, sitting at gate 6 hoping the thunderstorms pass through, lots of lightning so figured I will be smart for once and not push my luck.

Comment

Morning update. No hogs in gate 7 area. Went in east side gate by boat launch. Walk by the river for awhile, cut to left to check some bedding areas, saw some prints and recent rooting. We down to the runoff creek and circled back by the river again. Thinking will try gate 4 Willis Creek this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X