Benbrook 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien Encounter...

I got drawn for hunt #3. Had a weird experience last year. I live 2 minutes from the Lake so I found my spot and started throwing out corn every other day. I had 200-250 pictures every two days, deer, squirrels, crows, etc. I couldn't go opening day but I went the Monday after and zero activity. Checked the camera when I got home and it looks like I had an alien encounter and scared off all the wildlife. The first picture is the camera angle during the day and the second is a picture of the alien! After the alien, no pictures of anything except that buzzard. Seems strange that after all the pics and then none, not even a squirrel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	24689076

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	24689077

Comment

Are we allowed to go scout before our date? Really would like to go look around for possible spots before season, so I'm not being "that gal" walking around while others are trying to hunt. Also didn't want to get my truck towed or a ticket for being on the unit without a permit

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Between 2010 and 2014, they received between 2000 and 2500 aplications on average per year. And that don't include the App's partner. While it's nice to talk about it and all, the fact is, the more it's publized, the more it's saught after. To be honest, I perfered the years we didn't have a Benbrook thread.

Not sure how many apps they are getting now. Guess I could stop by and talk with them sometime. It would be interesting to me. Cause I like numbers and track-n.
        Agreed. DELETE DELETE... lol

Comment

Originally posted by followurarrow84 View Post
          Are we allowed to go scout before our date? Really would like to go look around for possible spots before season, so I'm not being "that gal" walking around while others are trying to hunt. Also didn't want to get my truck towed or a ticket for being on the unit without a permit
          I am not totally sure. I have always gone outside of season just for a look around. Never had any issue, but not sure if it's "allowed". I know there are people out there quite often, hiking, biking, horseback riding and etc. I think the permit only comes in to play, if you are hunting it. If I ever scouted during season, I went mid day. Or I would check the parking lot and see if there were any other vehicles first. If so, I just leave it alone.

Comment

Seems like years ago (10+ years) my mom was big into Geocaching and we went to find a mother load of caches on the Richardson Unit. Had no issues, and we where out there for several hours. But being many years ago, rules may have changed or might not have. Given my future job, I don't need to be on the wrong side of the Rangers or wardens either. However would also like to look around a bit and kinda decide where to set up and all before season starts and I'm disturbing someone's hunt or the Dove folks start sky blasting lol

Comment

Seems like years ago (10+ years) my mom was big into Geocaching and we went to find a mother load of caches on the Richardson Unit. Had no issues, and we where out there for several hours. But being many years ago, rules may have changed or might not have. Given my future job, I don't need to be on the wrong side of the Rangers or wardens either. However would also like to look around a bit and kinda decide where to set up and all before season starts and I'm disturbing someone's hunt or the Dove folks start sky blasting lol
              I presume you got drawn? Congrats if you did.

I don't think it's recommended to scout once the season starts. I do know there are those who do it anyway. I'd suggest getting out there in the morning now while you can before the season starts. And pick several spots in case one or two are already taken. That way, you know where you want to go. There is some non hunting use out there by equestrians, walkers, and joggers in the Whiskey Flats area. Not to many in the Richardson area. Both get a lot of pressure, being those are the only places left to deer hunt now.

Comment

Yep, got drawn for hunt 4. Had hoped for later, but I'll take what I can get. Definitely wanted to get out on both units, drop some pins in OnX and look around to figure out if I want to set up the ground blind or the hang on. Didn't get to hunt last year, at all because I was busy trying to finish my degree in west Texas, so excuse my extreme enthusiasm about the season

Comment

My buddy and I were drawn for hunt 7! Nice to be back on the brook. Looking forward to filling the freezer this season. It's been 2 years since I've had a full 2 weeks to hunt out there.

You guys who were drawn for 3-6. Please dont push the deer to go nocturnal...I've a family to feed

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Cameras are out, but it just adds to the confusion. Not seeing deer in areas that have been traditional hot spots but getting tons in areas where there were no pictures last year. We saw plenty of sign in some areas but not getting pics.

Comment

Trust me, you won't be the only one out there.

I have seen coon hunters, people shooting skeet, people shooting fireworks, people with metal detectors, people sighting in centerfire rifles shooting towards the lake off the concrete water tanks, cross country runners from the Christian school, homeless people in the woods, people on four wheelers (who I assume cut the fences a few years back), stray dogs, stray horses, stray cattle peacocks, chickens, and all manner of sorts of stuff out there. The parking areas can be awfully sketchy off the 377 side in the wee morning hours, and Longhorn park had people living in the woods last year.

Both sides of the lake also have horse trails so its a public use area. Hunt it hard if you got drawn. But beyond that, the more people post, the more people are gonna put in for it.

Be prepared for a work out if you get one down.
                        Last edited by Kirby86; 09-04-2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Hunt #3 Begins in a week. Been looking at the photos but only one camera is recording anything.

Comment

Originally posted by PIOBill View Post
                            Hunt #3 Begins in a week. Been looking at the photos but only one camera is recording anything.
                            Anything exciting? I havent put any cameras out yet, usually they are out by July.

Comment

Most of the pictures were night time.

Comment

4 Days in and most of the pictures are night shots. Saw 3 deer today but neither of the bucks were close to legal.

Comment

Working...
                                X