NEED YOUR SUPPORT - Public Hunting Program Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
    I understand that. However, that is not the changes we are seeking at this time.

We must know the percentage of non resident (NR)applicants first, prior to advocating for a 90/10.

If the percentage of NR is less than 10%, let’s say 2%.

We certainly would not want to allocate 10% of permits for NR. That would be counterproductive for this movement.

Now, with the recent broadcasting of some premier destinations within the Texas public draw hunt opportunities, on large platforms such as YouTube, one can expect that the number of NR applications will increase, possibly tremendously increase for some of these particular draw hunts.

I personally feel advocating for a 90/10 at this time is likely not necessary. However, it is difficult to predict the amount of time or years it could take to see TPWD make adjustments as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90/10 was more a sarcastic stab at the states who have recently changed allocations and use the line of “well other states do it”. Hence the big grinning smile at the end.

In all reality I don’t think there will be a NR issue for the foreseeable future just from the reputation and stigma that Texas has when it comes to hunting.

If leveling the playing field and increasing odds is the goal, in my opinion, this doesn’t really do much other than generate more revenue for the state. I am totally on board with requiring purchasing a license and having a hunter ed completed before applying but my gut says most that apply already have that.

Also I don’t know of a state that refunds licenses and stamps if unsuccessful in the draw. They only refund tag or permit costs that are fronted. If I’m reading it right, y’all are saying the state could refund license fees?
    Last edited by diamond10x; 01-22-2023, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I agree with 1 and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
        I agree, but NM doesn't reimburse the general hunting license cost and habitat stamp or whatever it is....you are stuck with that even if you don't draw. Only thing reimbursed is the deer or elk tag that you purchased. (As far as I remember...usually get the deer tag fee back, but not the other)

Iowa refunds all but the cost of a preference point + processing fee. All license and tag fees are refunded if not successful. So the hunter that fronts $644 will receive over $500 back.

Why and/or how could a state justify making you buy a license that isnt usable?

Comment

I wrote to them earlier right after the survey came out saying they need to increase application costs for non-residents and reduce the amount of applications per category. I doubt anything will come of it. Texas doesn’t care about the public land hunter

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
            https://www.iowadnr.gov/hunting/nonr...cation-process

Iowa refunds all but the cost of a preference point + processing fee. All license and tag fees are refunded if not successful. So the hunter that fronts $644 will receive over $500 back.

Why and/or how could a state justify making you buy a license that isnt usable?
            I haven’t come across a state that has a hunting license that isn’t useful. Tx for example, the license allows you to hunt everything that doesn’t require a tag such as squirrels, rabbits, exotics, etc.

Comment

Yes I’m in on that. I was just at Matador wma for a hard earned 9 year draw and some jerks from out of state were there and nicely put it was obvious they were not from here. We are blessed to have these hunts…we could probably pull easier if out of staters weren’t filling in for us.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                I haven’t come across a state that has a hunting license that isn’t useful. Tx for example, the license allows you to hunt everything that doesn’t require a tag such as squirrels, rabbits, exotics, etc.
                Ok. but who is going to drive from here to Iowa to hunt a silly squirrel?

Or who would come here from anywhere to hunt exotics, especially since they are applying for a drawn hunt on public land? if they are coming to hunt private lands sure it would be useful, but then it wouldnt be mucking up the public draw system.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                  Ok. but who is going to drive from here to Iowa to hunt a silly squirrel?

Or who would come here from anywhere to hunt exotics, especially since they are applying for a drawn hunt on public land? if they are coming to hunt private lands sure it would be useful, but then it wouldnt be mucking up the public draw system.
                  It’s still a license allowing you to hunt anything and everything that doesn’t require a tag, whether those animals are of value to you or not is for you to decide. Some it is and some it isn’t.

There’s a lot of “public land westerners” that come down here in the off season to hunt axis deer on private land. I think you’d be surprised at the number that will put in for a public draw just to double up the opportunity of making the drive or flight here especially since they aren’t required to have a license to apply for draws. Not saying it’s 40% of applicants but I would imagine it’s more than just 20 people.

Why would the state refund a hunting license just for an unsuccessful draw? That’s no different than say for example- you aren’t successful in punching a tag so you get a refund or claiming you didn’t go hunting so you deserve a refund.
                  Last edited by diamond10x; 01-22-2023, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    It’s still a license allowing you to hunt anything and everything that doesn’t require a tag, whether those animals are of value to you or not is for you to decide. Some it is and some it isn’t.

There’s a lot of “public land westerners” that come down here in the off season to hunt axis deer on private land. I think you’d be surprised at the number that will put in for a public draw just to double up the opportunity of making the drive or flight here especially since they aren’t required to have a license to apply for draws. Not saying it’s 40% of applicants but I would imagine it’s more than just 20 people.

Why would the state refund a hunting license just for an unsuccessful draw? That’s no different than say for example- you aren’t successful in punching a tag so you get a refund or claiming you didn’t go hunting so you deserve a refund.

If an out of stater is coming to hunt private they will be buying a license anyway. If they are applying for a public land draw, now all they have to do is pay the application fee.

Other states require the entire fee(license, tags and any other permits required) up front before the draw. And if you are drawn, successful or not, you are getting nothing back.

Comment

Up to but not exceeding 10percent would be the way to word it. For those interested in that. We dang sure dont want them to get aloted 10 percent of the tags.

Maybe something about only allowing nonresidents to apply for hunts with a certain amount of tags also. Like over 10 or 20. Bighorn and pronghorn come to mind.

Comment

NEED YOUR SUPPORT - Public Hunting Program Changes

If you really want to increase draw odds you should ask to go back to the old way which was to limit the number of applications per category to one.

Or a compromise would be to limit the apps per category to three like they have done for youth hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here a novel idea. If you are fortunate enough to have a lease then don't apply for tpwd hunts. That would give the rest of us better odds of being drawn.

Comment

Sounds good, I'll send one in

Comment

3) Non Resident opportunities should be limited to 10% or less of all public opportunities. If there are less than 10 tags non residents should not be entitled to a tag. Most states that have public hunting give their residents a greater opportunity than non residents. NM only gives non residents less than 6% of tag allocation. Lets start looking out for the resident hunter.
                              ___

Above is what I added to my email.

Heck states like Nm, Co, Wy, Montana have units that doesn't even offer non res tags for high demand species like moose, goats and sheep. Basically all of our tags are high demand. If you look at the application numbers some of our basic whitetail hunts are getting more application than high demand elk units. That's why rule #2 is a must limit participation. If all these non residents had to buy a $300 license application numbers of NR would drop greatly.
                              Last edited by CrownKiller14; 01-25-2023, 08:47 AM.

Comment

None of this will make any difference for deer hunts, but could potentially improve some of the more attractive things that other states don't have such as some of our exotics opportunities. I'm sure it's been said already but the stumbling block is that licenses aren't even on sale yet when most of the draw deadlines hit, so they'd have to revamp their whole system and sell hunting licenses or provide some sort of license voucher through the draw system. I doubt they'll be very open minded about uprooting what everyone's become accustomed to. I think the biggest most powerful change would be to limit the applications to one application per category, let people apply for what they really desire and that'll improve the number of unpaid tags as well because people will be more likely to pay for what they've drawn. I'll send in some feedback to that email once I get a minute to sit down with it, are we targeting a certain date deadline or will next week work?

Comment

Working...
                                X