No announcement yet.

Angelina County bow hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life definitely happens sir! And thank you we are excited!

I shot my first national forest deer on the pipeline off county road 347 also Lat: 31.093719° Long:-94.240072°, but that pipeline gets real heavy pressure. Along with county road 347, it gets hammered come rifle opener...
    The upland island wilderness area has some awesome looking woods as well.

Good luck this season and enjoy the forest! Maybe ill see you out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Bmetz117 View Post

I shot my first national forest deer on the pipeline off county road 347 also Lat: 31.093719° Long:-94.240072°, but that pipeline gets real heavy pressure. Along with county road 347, it gets hammered come rifle opener...

I've got a spot off 347 that I hunt every year. Had a decent buck slip up behind me and catch my wind last year. I saw him long enough to tell he was a decent shooter. Never saw him again after that.

Comment

I went and scouted yesterday south of zavalla. I found a really pretty spot with white oaks a creek and a thick bedding area that looked really nice. Deer tracks crossing the creek all over the place. My luck 40 people will be on that spot, but I could not find much evidence of people. Last year I scouted off of 1277 in san augustine county and everywhere I went were ladder stands and corn bags.

Comment

Be careful giving out too specific locations where everyone can see. You might end up with more visitors next season. I think DCNF might have bigger bucks but I feel like I know ANF better so my chances are higher at a wall hanger. I really wish we could start an east Texas public land thread where people would be more inclined to show pictures and what's really roaming these woods. It might save some younger bucks

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ElfEyes; 09-15-2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
            I've got a spot off 347 that I hunt every year. Had a decent buck slip up behind me and catch my wind last year. I saw him long enough to tell he was a decent shooter. Never saw him again after that.
            Heck yeah that's awesome, I believe it to! I have a good buck on camera over there. One of my buddies liked hunting off 347 a lot. They just thinned out/are finishing up a thinning right now on that road.

ElfEyes, for sure. That pipeline is public knowledge, county road 347 gets absolutely smashed with hunters. 2 seasons ago during the morning on one day I counted 24 cars on it, 9 of them were on the pipeline road. Then closer to Sand Creek Ramp I saw a group of 10-15 men and kids finishing up a deer drive. Don't forget the guys set up a camp with loud speakers playing at 9am. This was rifle opener...But if you can play the people and the weather right its a nice spot.
            I've been wanting to start a archery club out here. Jasper/Lufkin area...

Comment

Heck yeah that's awesome, I believe it to! I have a good buck on camera over there. One of my buddies liked hunting off 347 a lot. They just thinned out/are finishing up a thinning right now on that road.

ElfEyes, for sure. That pipeline is public knowledge, county road 347 gets absolutely smashed with hunters. 2 seasons ago during the morning on one day I counted 24 cars on it, 9 of them were on the pipeline road. Then closer to Sand Creek Ramp I saw a group of 10-15 men and kids finishing up a deer drive. Don't forget the guys set up a camp with loud speakers playing at 9am. This was rifle opener...But if you can play the people and the weather right its a nice spot.
              I've been wanting to start a archery club out here. Jasper/Lufkin area...
              You are right about it getting hammered. There's usually at least half a dozen trucks on that road every time I hunt down there. The few times I hunted it last year was the first time I haven't seen too many.

I encountered a group of guys doing a deer drive on 347 a few years ago. They started off of 63 working their way toward the pipeline, then down between the pipeline and lake. Sounded like an all out war. I left my spot and drove down to the end of 350 to get ahead of them, thinking they may drive something that far down. They ended up cutting back across the pipeline and back towards their vehicles before making all the way to 350.

Comment

Last year I counted I think 4 trucks in a pretty tight area late in the season. I told my buddy that there must be a good one in the area that they all know about judging how close they were hunting to each other. I wish they would allow hand corn for camera use only before season so you could get a better idea of what's in the area. I have two buddies with private land in the general area that do pretty well

Comment

TCR^2
                  It was probably the same group!
                  This would have been not this past season but the one before it...I distinctly remember a awful blue colored Chevy. The blue was like something you would see on a matchbox car.
                  My tradition for opening rifle is now to drive the forest roads, count cars, drink coffee, and hope I dont get hit by a stray round.

Ive also seen smashed vehicle glass right where people usually park on the pipeline, like a window got smashed out. Hopefully it wasn't some one breaking into a vehicle...

ElfEyes, I set a camera on that pipeline and got all sorts of pictures! Even a dude on a horse hunting I'm assuming squirrels with his dogs ���� I'll have to share it, it really is a great picture, this dude is intense! Honestly the only area I dont like is around Letney. The rest seems awesome.

It would be really cool to hunt Angelina around five fingers coleman and Norris. That's just like a long drive for me

Comment

Opening of rifle season I opted to hunt 1/4 mile from 347 on 63, just over the county line. There's a decent oak bottom in there. Ended up seeing 4 doe. Something told me to call my hunt short that morning and I'm glad I did. I got to the truck and decided to turn on 347 and ride thru the woods back to 255. I didn't make it 100 yards down 63 and saw a guy standing just inside the wood line. Turned on 347 and there's another guy just inside the wood line, continued down 347 and it seemed like every 75-100 yards there was a person standing inside the wood line. Got to 347A and there's a group of about 6-8 people standing around a couple vehicles. Farther down 347 and there's a group of folks down the little forestry road on the right (south side) with a canopy popped up. Had to have been at least 20-25 people out there on that deer drive. Looks like they were pushing deer toward the end of 347.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Read View Post
                      Opening of rifle season I opted to hunt 1/4 mile from 347 on 63, just over the county line. There's a decent oak bottom in there. Ended up seeing 4 doe. Something told me to call my hunt short that morning and I'm glad I did. I got to the truck and decided to turn on 347 and ride thru the woods back to 255. I didn't make it 100 yards down 63 and saw a guy standing just inside the wood line. Turned on 347 and there's another guy just inside the wood line, continued down 347 and it seemed like every 75-100 yards there was a person standing inside the wood line. Got to 347A and there's a group of about 6-8 people standing around a couple vehicles. Farther down 347 and there's a group of folks down the little forestry road on the right (south side) with a canopy popped up. Had to have been at least 20-25 people out there on that deer drive. Looks like they were pushing deer toward the end of 347.
                      How on earth would you be able to tell if a buck is legal while he's running through at mach speed from a drive

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                        How on earth would you be able to tell if a buck is legal while he's running through at mach speed from a drive

Brown n down.
                        While I'm not a horn hunter and pretty much loath the 13" rule I do follow and kill plenty of legal bucks. Others just don't care about legal or not in many cases.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post

You really can't in those woods. Had I stayed where I was I would have been right in the middle of their drive. I ran out to the pipeline Tuesday evening after work just to see if I could catch one slipping across during the last 45 minutes of shooting light. Didn't see anything on the pipeline but had a buck cross 347A while I was driving in. I couldn't tell much about him just could tell he had headgear so I don't see how anyone could tell if a buck is legal when he's running through the brush.

Comment

Going out this weekend with the muzzleloader for one last hoorah in the ANF. I've seen several deer out there but nothing legal for general season. Hoping they have had time to settle down some since general season is over.

Comment

Working...
                            X