Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age this MX buck

This deer has me guessing.
    2018 - the deer had the short nose, saggy belly, jowls, etc. of a middle aged/older deer.

Pics from this year make me think he was an older deer. Maybe just really run down as we are in a bad drought.

FYI deer was killed this season, and scored 141. I didn’t see the teeth, or the animal on the ground, but was told the teeth didn't show heavy wear... which surprised me a bit. Certainly not a giant, but the hunter was happy.

Judging off the pics - where would you put this buck on age this season?

-Walker
    Attached Files

I'm seeing 5 1/2....

Comment

methuselah is that you?

Comment

Post mature deer 6 plus

Comment

He must sleep standing up.

Comment

And hate to see those t posts sticking up next to feeder legs if you ever fall filling feeders. Keep it safe out there.

Comment

I see 6+ in 2018 and 7+ in 2019

Comment

6 1/2

Comment

Dang. I think he is 7.5 in the 2018 pic. That is an olddddd warrior right there.

Look at the loose saggy skin hanging from the face, lowering on the front legs, swollen front knee joints.

If the teeth didn't show much wear, he must have a really easy life.

Comment

thanks for the comments.
                    Dead is dead so it doesn't really matter - but I'd be bummed if we popped a 140's 12pt as a 5yo...

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                      thanks for the comments.
                      Dead is dead so it doesn't really matter - but I'd be bummed if we popped a 140's 12pt as a 5yo...
                      Not a chance. He's much over 5.

Comment

deer are like people... without a lot of history, it's hard to tell sometimes.. definitely looks 6+ but it's hard to say a lot of time without the history of the animal.

Comment

Most of our 6+ deer have the body/face combo that looks like this dude. Some have big horns - and some don’t. Many are over 200#s

The 12pt was just a shorter/smaller animal all around. It’s a lot tougher to age those deer in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dstrong View Post
                            deer are like people... without a lot of history, it's hard to tell sometimes.. definitely looks 6+ but it's hard to say a lot of time without the history of the animal.
                            I agree, and I am glad I have the opportunity to watch the majority of my deer grow up and know their age without question. Knee wear is typically seen at 6+ on our place, and this is a knee from a known 6 year old cull that was killed a few weeks ago....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Buck

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                              This deer has me guessing.
                              2018 - the deer had the short nose, saggy belly, jowls, etc. of a middle aged/older deer.

Pics from this year make me think he was an older deer. Maybe just really run down as we are in a bad drought.

FYI deer was killed this season, and scored 141. I didn’t see the teeth, or the animal on the ground, but was told the teeth didn't show heavy wear... which surprised me a bit. Certainly not a giant, but the hunter was happy.

Judging off the pics - where would you put this buck on age this season?

-Walker
                              Sure 6 1/2 for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X