1st deer for my son with a cool story..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st deer for my son with a cool story..

We have been on a quest to get my 10 year old sons 1st deer for the past couple years. Between teaching him, weather and other various reasons it just hasn't worked out. Well last week my grandpa went down hill fast and suddenly left us. He is the reason I hunt and fish. He was a great old farmer, Korean war hero and a wonderful grandpa to me. The day after he passed away my son and I headed out to Elgin after he got home from school to give it a try again. Rain was coming and it was a very foggy afternoon. We get out of the truck and do our normal spray down pre hunt routine that includes our hunters prayer. At the end of our prayer I said "poppa I know you are up there. Come sit with us and help bring in Braydens 1st deer. Miss you and love you". After a couple tears from us we snuck into the blind. About 5:30 I saw a buck come across the field and close in about 600 yards quickly! Within minutes we had 4 deer at about 70 yards on corn. It took a bit but we finally got the 22-250 lined up. As I am talking him through the the shot I could hear his quivering breathing. I smiled and calmed him down as I took the rifle off of safety. He eased off the shot and the deer stumbled into the brush. We waited a bit and I climbed down to take a look. I looked under the brush where the deer ran and there he was! We approached the deer and celebrated. We both looked at each other and both felt poppa had his hand in on this moment. Now whether this was by coincidence or not.....it was still very cool and emotional. As we left the ranch gate the rain started to pour. It held off long enough for us to get everything done and get on the road.

Congratulations and sorry for your loss. Nothing like experiencing your sons first deer

Comment

Pretty dang awesome
      Waydago little man.

Comment

Congratulations to your son!
        Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Congrats to both of you! Well done. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Congrats to you and your son. So sorry for your loss. No doubt that your grandpa had a hand in this!

Comment

Great story, congratulations to the little man!

Comment

Outstanding story and congrats to the young hunter as well as you dad!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

That's what it's all about! Congrats!

Comment

Good story! Congratulations to you both!

Comment

Congratulations to you both!

Comment

Good bull !!!!! Congrats to you and your son !!

Comment

Congrats, and a great story too!

Comment

Good Story and Congrats to your son.

Comment

Congrats to you both!

Comment

Working...
                              X