Gosh dang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh dang

Officials at the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention say spread of the coronavirus in the U.S. is not a question of "if," but "when."

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the CDC's director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases said the virus, called COVID-19, is "rapidly evolving and spreading" and that "successful containment at U.S. borders is becoming problematic."

ADVERTISEMENT

Today in History
    Ad by Connatix
    Community spread of the virus, which began its spread in China, have been reported in Hong Kong, Iran, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand, Messonnier said in a Tuesday press conference. The behavior of the virus spread outside of China has raised concern in the U.S.

There is currently no vaccine to prevent the virus nor medication to treat it, but Messonnier said individuals and local communities should prepare for the possibility of an outbreak by implementing methods of "non-pharmaceutical intervention," or NPIs. She warned U.S citizens and local communities to prepare for "disruption to everyday life" in the case of a pandemic.

RELATED: China, South Korea report more virus cases; 4th Diamond Princess passenger dies

RELATED: Longest-serving IOC member: 3 months to decide fate of Tokyo Olympics

RELATED: Drugmaker Moderna ships possible coronavirus vaccine for testing

"We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare for the expectation that this is going to be bad," she said. Messonnier recounted a conversation she had with her children over breakfast, in which she discussed how her family would prepare for an outbreak. She said she called her local school superintendent with questions about schools' plans for dismissals, closures and teleschool.

Messonnier encouraged parents to do the same and prepare for how to handle childcare services if schools begin to close. She also recommended schools divide students into smaller groups or provide teleschooling services.

Other businesses can also prepare for an escalated outbreak of the coronavirus by replacing in-person meetings with teleconferences and increasing teleworking options, Messonnier said. Employees should also contact their supervisors for more information on those policies.

It’s mostly hype

We will get through it no different than sars or bird flu or any of the other crap that china gifted the world

It will be a loss for some economically and a windfall for others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nobody is gonna know the truth of this until it’s either all over the US or it goes away. I tend to think that with any of these things the gubment goes through a cycle of “don’t panic”, then “panic”, then “well it’s not as bad as we thought”. I hope that’s the way this is.

Comment

They say more will die from the flu

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
          They say more will die from the flu
          Direct from one of my clients mouths. They are in Vegas (rn’s) and are waiting for their first case. They said really no reason to worry. I will keep my tin foil positioned directly above my head though....

Comment

Folks have their knickers in a knot over it, yet the numbers of deaths from flu far exceed this virus, and those who do succumb to it are largely those with pre-existing conditions and in less than robust physical condition--so I've read.

Comment

There are so many much, much more important things to worry about. I remember having this same discussion about the big ebola scare several years ago. Some folks talk poorly of my over that but at the end of the day it was not a big deal.

-john

Comment

There’s not much you can say without sounding like you think the sky is falling. Lol. I’m keeping an eye on it. It hasn’t killed as many people as the flu, but the mortality rate is about 20x higher than the flu, and it’s looking like it has broken through containment efforts.

Comment

America doesn’t do that great of a job quarantining sick people !
                  I’m sure it will become widespread and a norm in America just like every other virus or disease that is here now.
                  Other countries don’t force inoculations but yet we have no problem letting their people visit our country and maybe everyone here that wants to visit a sick disease, virus, ridden country should just stay there.

Comment

There is an entire other thread on this. However it's full of conspiracies and tin foil hats. It does make for entertaining reading though.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...7#post14721687

Comment

Public health agencies always tend to overstate the risk. If the CDC thinks there is only a 5% chance a virus becomes widespread they won't say that - they will say "all Americans need to prepare for widespread illness". In their view creating a little undue panic is preferable to being accused after the fact of not being out ahead of it if the worst case scenario unfolds.

Comment

Corona has a 2% mortality rate.I think the flu has killed around 16,000 so far this year in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeliner1 View Post
                          Corona has a 2% mortality rate.I think the flu has killed around 16,000 so far this year in the US.

Flu mortality rate is .1%. That’s the danger of this thing, if it becomes as wide spread as flu, it will kill a bunch of people.

Comment

Yay for people to start panicking and going to stores causing shortages on various items...

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              Flu mortality rate is .1%. That’s the danger of this thing, if it becomes as wide spread as flu, it will kill a bunch of people.
                              Apples and oranges. The people affected so far have a vastly different lifestyle then most Americans. They live in a country that treats its people wildly different depending on class. The hospitals treat patients differently. Their climate is very different. They live on top of one another, and are much more communal.

What you are basically saying is if 2% of people die from malaria in Nigeria, that if Malaria ever gets to the US, 2% of people will die.
                              Last edited by WItoTX; 02-26-2020, 09:49 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Working...
                              X