No announcement yet.

East Texas Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have good luck with Alyce clover and Brown top millet for a warm season plot in Rusk county. Alyce is high protein and relatively drought tolerant, millet acts as a filler seed and cover crop for the Alyce.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
      I have good luck with Alyce clover and Brown top millet for a warm season plot in Rusk county. Alyce is high protein and relatively drought tolerant, millet acts as a filler seed and cover crop for the Alyce.

I’m planting 50/50 Alyce clover and Aeschynomene this year because Elgato speaks so highly of the mix. Hopefully it doesn’t turn too dry this summer. I know both are a little slow to get established, but can be perennial (or self seeding annual) once established.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        I’m planting 50/50 Alyce clover and Aeschynomene this year because Elgato speaks so highly of the mix. Hopefully it doesn’t turn too dry this summer. I know both are a little slow to get established, but can be perennial (or self seeding annual) once established.

Yes, they are both slow to establish while growing their root systems. I used Aeschynomene extensively in FL. but in the sandy soil I have here, it’s to dry for it. The deer do go crazy over it, late summer when the sugars are in the plant tips.

Good luck with it. Pls let me know how it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          I haven’t found anything better than cowpeas and black oil sunflowers. This plot was about 1.5 acres and by August you could putt golf balls on it ( 4-6 deer using it)
          Thinking I may go this route this year to keep things simple. For the black oil sunflower seeds, are you buying a "seed" variety for planting from someone like East Texas Seed Company? Or are you just using the standard bird seed from Wal Mart or Tractor Supply? TSC had a sale on the 50 lb bags a few weeks ago but I wasn't sure what kind of germination to expect from those.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
            Thinking I may go this route this year to keep things simple. For the black oil sunflower seeds, are you buying a "seed" variety for planting from someone like East Texas Seed Company? Or are you just using the standard bird seed from Wal Mart or Tractor Supply? TSC had a sale on the 50 lb bags a few weeks ago but I wasn't sure what kind of germination to expect from those.
            50 pound bird seed variety.... and it will grow darn near commercial grade flowers. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
              Yes, they are both slow to establish while growing their root systems. I used Aeschynomene extensively in FL. but in the sandy soil I have here, it’s to dry for it. The deer do go crazy over it, late summer when the sugars are in the plant tips.

Good luck with it. Pls let me know how it does.

Will do, they will be planted on heavy blackland clay-loam (technically “Frioton Silty Clay Loam”) so I know they might struggle a bit in the heavier soils. That hurts me in late winter and spring as it can water-log the roots, but should help with moisture retention in the summer.

I hope to document the whole property transformation over the next 10 or so years with pictures, videos, and a dedicated property thread on here.

Comment

50 pound bird seed variety.... and it will grow darn near commercial grade flowers. Lol
                Good to know!

Comment

General rule of thumb, don't figure out what you want to plant before getting the soil test.

Wait till you have your soil test to see what your soil can accommodate. If the pH is not balanced some plants will not be palatable for deer even if they grow.

If you can post your soil tests once you get them, we can make better planting suggestions.

Comment

My deer in navarro co really liked the sun hemp also

Comment

For real. I’ve had the best luck with that stuff too. Add in about 6-10#’s of Sunn hemp per acre this year.

Comment

Planted some today. Looking forward to see how well it does. Might still plant Soybeans in a month....we will see.

Turkeys and doves should definetly love this stuff.

Comment

I ordered another 2 acres of seed.... this batch is a dove plot.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                            I ordered another 2 acres of seed.... this batch is a dove plot.

I’d be interested to see how these compete with one another. Last year I added 2pounds per acre of pearl millet for cover/screening in deer plots (planted dove fields too) and it dominated everything. I WILL add again at a much lower rate this year. Never used sun hemp, but know it overwhelms too. Very interested to see how the smaller and slower plants do. Keep us posted!

Comment

I had simular luck with what MILAM used...what worked well for me too was just plain old Black Eye Peas bought at HEB/WM /grocery..Haven't priced recently but back when it was way cheaper

Comment

Ic cow peas and something for them to climb. A little sorghum or millet

Comment

Working...
                                X