Educate me on moving a house!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    I understand this is not an option. Due to safety regulations this Avenue is no longer viable and if your local VFD does it without following guidelines they are going to hate it the day if something goes wrong.

I believe it just has to be inspected by TCEQ and a thumbs up for FD training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      I’d burn it down, dig a hole and push the remnants in the hole.
      This is exactly what I would do.

Comment

No doubt And the shiplap that is in there is very good... hence the reason why just simply dozing it is the wrong move

I’ve seen old shiplap being pulled out of houses and going for $4-$6 a sq. ft. Got to take your time and be easy with it pulling it out.

Comment

My dad and grandpa used to move and/or tear down houses for salvage. You might put out a Craigslist feeler just see if there are any folks out there doing this type of work. They should considering the prices the box stores charge for crappy "lumber"!

Comment

No doubt And the shiplap that is in there is very good... hence the reason why just simply dozing it is the wrong move
            I used to work for a home builder that would buy a tear down house. But before they tore it down they let Habitat for Humanity (or something like that) go through the house and salvage the usable items. They were able to write it off as a charitable donation.

Comment

Okay. Lots of good suggestions . Let me summarize we’re not going to turn this into a man cave for whatever reason it just doesn’t make sense. We are not going to fix it up to rent it out economically it just doesn’t make sense so we are either going to tear it down or have it moved. So anyone on here who has any inside knowledge moving a house in regards to selling it or giving it away and somebody just coming and taking it based on at least one response this does sound like something that’s possible ??

I don’t mean to be a dk head, but we know digging a hole and dozing it into the hole is an option.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                I’ve seen old shiplap being pulled out of houses and going for $4-$6 a sq. ft. Got to take your time and be easy with it pulling it out.

They do it in the Heights all the time and I’m about to contact the guy to see if it makes sense for him to come get the wood up in East Texas . They definitely charge for it but to your point it’s not the easiest thing to salvage !

Comment

Contact the TV show Flip and move. It's on TV most weekends. Builders actually show up and bid. I know dumb idea but all I could come up with. Good luck.

Comment

If you are not going to reuse it, then I would certainly‘dismantle’ it. Not only would the shiplap be good, but given the age, may have full dimension 2x. Window could be salvaged, as well as doors. Have any beaded pine? Don’t let that good old stuff go to waste man. If you don’t want to do it, I can call a guy that probably will.

Comment

Given what you have said, I believe I would try listing it for sale using basic free avenues such as craigslist, fb marketplace, etc. for a reasonable number, like say $5k. Maybe even reach out to local realtors for ideas or if they know interested investors.
                      If that doesn’t pan out in a reasonable amount of time, change it to “free to be moved.”
                      Then resort to the salvage ideas or pay for demo/removal. I would try every avenue to try to make some money or at least not lose any before going that route.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        Given what you have said, I believe I would try listing it for sale using basic free avenues such as craigslist, fb marketplace, etc. for a reasonable number, like say $5k. Maybe even reach out to local realtors for ideas or if they know interested investors.
                        If that doesn’t pan out in a reasonable amount of time, change it to “free to be moved.”
                        Then resort to the salvage ideas or pay for demo/removal. I would try every avenue to try to make some money or at least not lose any before going that route.
                        This guy gets it.

Comment

Lol! The problem is I have no does to trade! Lol. Maybe I can turn this place into a big hog trap?
                          I remembered the conversation we had right after I posted but you caught me before the edit haha!

I giant hog trap... hmmm....

Comment

It will cost substantial $ to have moved.
                            Your local fire department would probably love to use it for training then let you burn it to the ground

Comment

What is the dimensions on the house? SQ footage of it etc... We have moved 3 different houses recently and we didn't pay a dime for any of them. Either we do it free and we keep the house or we are going to charge you to get rid of it. My time and expertise in moving it is worth either the house or your cash. Crazy if you think some one will pay you to get rid of what you are willing to call junk and doze over.

If not willing to give it away I would start taking it apart and salvage what you can but most folks aren't willing to put that much effort in. Which is where we come in and just yank it out.

Also where is it located? If this was in West Texas area we would probably come take it off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                                What is the dimensions on the house? SQ footage of it etc... We have moved 3 different houses recently and we didn't pay a dime for any of them. Either we do it free and we keep the house or we are going to charge you to get rid of it. My time and expertise in moving it is worth either the house or your cash. Crazy if you think some one will pay you to get rid of what you are willing to call junk and doze over.

If not willing to give it away I would start taking it apart and salvage what you can but most folks aren't willing to put that much effort in. Which is where we come in and just yank it out.

Also where is it located? If this was in West Texas area we would probably come take it off your hands.
                                I will PM. To answer questions... 900 square feet and unfortunately it’s not in west Texas (it’s in east tx near Corrigan).

To clarify. The house is of no use to us, but it’s far from a pile of junk that should be dozed over. But at same time we understand the economics of the situation in regards to how folks like you make $.

I will PM maybe you can help.

Comment

Working...
                                X