New Tower Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tower Blind

So I got a bunch of square tubing to make another Rifle blind. A lot of 1/2" square and 2 - 10' 2" pieces. So I don't need much more to make it. This one is going to sit atop a 10 foot tower for long distance shots. The only thing I am trying to figure out is... Is there a good reason to make cross supports on the legs ? You know, the X across the legs.

I have a 10' tower already that someone made and it has them, but they are just bolted on the side, not welded to the frame. I am looking at it and wondering if I even need them. The legs are 2" and the stand will be made from 1/2" square. I will get a pic, but what purpose does this server, I do not see any pressure from the sides that would require it. I will have a support on the bottom and one across the top, both horizontal.

Base - cross support

Here's what I am talking about. Do I need this X for support ? I could use the 8 pieces on window or something else. Just wondering if I am wasting these using them for support if I don't need them.
    Attached Files

Comment

Pics of 10' stand already made

Here's some pics of the 10' tower I bought years ago.
      Attached Files

Comment

I would not get in a blind without them. We have built several tower blinds. The one that shaker the most has week crossbraces. Also tie the cross brases together at the cross.

Comment

Looks like a steep climb. Be careful.

Comment

Ladder at an angle is a lot better to climb.

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
            Looks like a steep climb. Be careful.
            Ya, that's a heck of a climb, full 90degree climb I built a 12' ladder that leans against the stand, a lot safer to climb now. Plan on doing the same with this blind.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Tx-Burt; 02-22-2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Started welding

Well I took a break from Fishing and Hog hunting to get some projects finished before the rains came. Got the bottom and roof 4x4 welded. The roof is off a Mercedes Van from a conversion shop, will weld some angle to screw into the square tubing.
              Attached Files

Comment

Windows

Bought 2 plastic windows 24x30, had them cut down to 10"x30". Made the frames out of recycled iron fence and will weld the hinges and locks once I get the frame built.
                Attached Files

Comment

I had six blinds with angle iron bases on 2 3/8” tubing for several years and never had a problem except they all blew over at least once because I didn’t have them anchored properly. No cross braces. A piece of tubing 10’ long is pretty stiff though.

Comment

Little more progress

Well, after a few fishing trips and the rain, I was able to get back to working on the tower stand. I finished all the windows. Drilled holes for the Bottom of the Blind and the Tower to make sure they line up correctly when I attach them. Figured if I ever just want to leave it as a Ground Blind I would build them separately and bolt them together. I had some small peaces of flat and decided to make it were the legs weld to it for more support instead of just the square. Looks like it will work good. This way it gives more surface area to weld for added support.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Following. Looking good

Comment

turned out nice

Comment

Nice day finally not raining

Finally got some work done on the blind. The shark cage is almost done. Need to weld 2 more window hinges and make the door. Then I can finish with the roof and skin it out with some plywood. Last I can start the stand itself. I've been thinking just make it the full 12' instead of cutting it down to 10'
                            Attached Files

Comment

Don't know why 2nd pic didn't post

2nd pic
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X