Does Deleting my Cummins Affect Resale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Deleting my Cummins Affect Resale?

Have a 2016 Ram 2500 with 125K miles on it. Its paid for. It's not my daily driver. Just use it going to the ranch and if I need to pull/haul anything. I've not yet decided if I want to sell it and get something new or just keep driving it till the wheels fall off. Used car prices are insane right now and I could probably sell it for much more than I had ever expected until I recently shopped around and found out what it's resale value is.

Here is my dilemma - The EGR is acting up right now. I can fix or delete it. Delete is about double the cost of fixing it. If I knew for sure I was going to keep it, I'd delete it. But as stated I'm on the fence about keeping it vs selling it and getting something new.

Does deleting it make it harder to sale? Would it prevent me from being able to sell to anyone living in a metro/urban market. I've never lived in an urban area in my life, but think I've heard in certain counties when you get your vehicle inspected, it has to pass certain emissions standards. Does it being deleted prevent you from passing inspection.

If anyone has been in similar situation, please let me know what you decided to do and why.

I think they are going to crack down on it sooner rather than later. I wont delete my next truck. With that said I am going to run the one I have till the engine or transmission blows.

Comment

I have the same truck as you and use it the same way. I deleted mine and will keep it till the wheels fall off. Everything out there is overpriced right now especially for an extra vehicle.

Comment

you can just unplug it you dont have to fully delete it

Comment

Originally posted by Medina19 View Post
          you can just unplug it you dont have to fully delete it
          This is what I did on one of my old trucks, I did not delete the EGR I just left it in place and unplugged it, The truck was deleted basically but the factory EGR was still there.

Comment

if you unplug it or completely delete it, it will throw a check engine code until you get a tuner and tune on your truck though.

Comment

Deleting it will cause you to fail on inspection. Unless you know someone to hook you up, but they take a huge chance of getting fined. Also, harder to trade in. Dealership took $1000 off of trade in, so they could put all the items back on the truck. They didn't want to mess with it unless he had all the parts.

Comment

Delete and keep the factory parts.

-There are plennnnnnty of dealers that will trade.
                -I haven't met a single soul that has been failed outside of dallas. (two that were turned away in dallas but not failed)
                -The nice state trooper that pulled me over a few weeks ago on I20 could have cared less.
                -Have you priced a new one? It's absolutely crazy

But:

I'm sure the EPA will make it harder at some point so my last 3 diesels have been deleted and every time I kept whatever factory parts I needed and/or were still functional when removed.

Comment

I'd be selling on the private market not trade in.
                  Yes, I've seen new and used prices alike.
                  I bought mine used in 2018 with 40K mi for 48K.
                  I can likely sell it now 42-44K.
                  I can get new with all the bells and whistles for 78K.
                  Why not get new if it only cost me 35-40K+/-.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                    Why not get new if it only cost me 35-40K+/-.

Because it's really costing you 70k just not all at once since you already paid for the other one.

....But the new trucks are sweet. I'd love a new 3/4 or 1 ton from GM, Ford, or Dodge.. Just not something I can/will purchase currently.

Comment

Diesels only have to have a safety inspection. Only gasoline vehicles undergo emissions testing.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/ins...tion%20sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
                        Diesels only have to have a safety inspection. Only gasoline vehicles undergo emissions testing.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/ins...tion%20sticker.
                        Safety does technically include a visual inspection to make sure factory emissions equipment hasn't been removed I believe.

Hence the "ghost delete".

Comment

I would not buy a deleted truck, they are going start cracking down more than ever one day. Might cost you 3 or 4k to make right.

Comment

[QUOTE=TreyRo;15590785]Because it's really costing you 70k just not all at once since you already paid for the other one.

Vehicles are not a store of value generally speaking. They depreciate perpetually. By that rationale my current truck has cost me the sum of all payments of every vehicle I've ever purchased.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in the Semi truck auction business and deleted trucks bring more money, period. That goes for Ford, GM, Dodge, Peterbilt, Kenworth and so on. If two trucks are identical other than one being deleted, the deleted one will bring more everyday and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X