Elk trip a year from Nov...caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk trip a year from Nov...caliber?

My brother has looked into elk hunting trips in northern Colorado, a buddy of his went last fall, the two of them are going this fall...maybe the two of us the following year / fall 2021.

He’s always used a 243 on deer, but wants something bigger for the elk. His buddy uses a 7mm-08, I’ve shot 308 for years. Any reason other than weight of the rifle, not to haul my long barrel stainless Savage model 10 all over the mountains?

7mm-08 has slightly better way-long-range ballistics than the 308 per searched articles...I shoot the 308 out to 200 yards without hesitation...if I practice out to 350yds and get comfortable, I assume that will do the job just fine?

Any info is appreciated!

I’m planning the same (finger crossed) and going with a cross canyon hammer in the 30 Nosler. 300 PRC is a good choice if you don’t reload.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If it was me, I’d take a .308. Not because there isn’t something better, but because that’s what I have. Also, you have confidence in it. So, you have my vote.

But, if you are wanting something lighter, pick a cartridge that works for you and a gun you like. Can you have too many rifles?

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
        If it was me, I’d take a .308. Not because there isn’t something better, but because that’s what I have. Also, you have confidence in it. So, you have my vote.

But, if you are wanting something lighter, pick a cartridge that works for you and a gun you like. Can you have too many rifles?
        This ^ I'd use my .30-06. If I was buying a new rifle, I’d want something like a lightweight .300 wsm

Comment

7-08 and .308 more than enough gun with a quality built bullet and inside 400 yards I wouldn’t hesitate.

Comment

My father took one at 250 yards with a 30-06 using a 180 grain barns ttsx.
            I’ve taken a cow with a 7 mag at 150 yds, a bull at 500 yds with a 338 mag, and another bull with a 45 cal. muzzleloader at 100 yds (seen in avatar pic).
            Bottom line - a bunch of different tools can get the job done. Just practice, know how your bullet will drop at specific distances, and make a well-placed shot.
            I’d recommend that you also get a good pair of boots, get into shape, get an external frame pack and bring some game bags.
            Happy hunting!

Comment

People successfully take elk every year with a .243 and the right bullet. That's not saying it's "ideal", but you really don't need a super-duper-magnum. If you have a .308, use it, with a good quality bonded bullet. If you have the means to buy a new rifle thats lighter and "want" a larger caliber, go for it. I think we all fall for the marketing (self-included) we see day-day and fail to realize we already have what we "need".

Comment

I watched my son and a buddies son kill elk with 6.5 Creedmoor and ELD-x bullets. Either gun with a good bullet will get the job done. Take what you have the most confidence in and have fun.

Comment

Going on my first elk hunt this year with a buddy. Taking a 6.5 PRC and 280 AI. 308 should be plenty of gun inside 400.

Comment

If I was going to hunt elk occasionally, I'd use whatever I had in the safe. 6.5 PRC, 270, 7 Mag, 7 RSAUM are the biggest I have to choose from right now. If I was going to be a elk hunting junkie and went all the time I'd get a .338 Win Mag and launch some 210-225 grain quality bullets at them.

Comment

.308 is plenty of gun for elk.
                      That is, of course, unless you're looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle.

Comment

I been hauling my 1990 Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 up there for 5 years. Shooting 180gr Federal Trophy Copper. Its killed elk and ill keep hauling it in them moutains until its done killing elk.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

.308 or the 7mm-08, I would not take the 243.
                          165-68 gr bullet in the .308 and maybe a 140 gr in the 7mm-08.
                          If you're going guided they will not like a .243 showing up.
                          Yes it can and will take elk but I would not use it.

The 300wsm is a solid choice for a new rifle. Great caliber and flat shooting enough to reach a little ways out. Couldn't tell you how many elk I've taken with mine, moose and cow bison as well. It will knock them down.
                          30-06 would also be a solid choice.

Comment

My son shoots his .308 and doesn't have a problem taking down bulls. I shoot a .280. The bulls don't seem to know the difference.

Comment

I like my 7mm-08 with 140 Fed trophy bonded better than my 308. It might just be my guns though.

This year I will leave both of those at home and go with 7mm RM with 154 terminal ascent. I have not used terminal ascent on game before but they are very accurate at the range.

Comment

Working...
                              X