Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer are looking good!

Comment

Thanks! We have a lot of deer to shoot this year. We are really trying to get our neighbors to join us so we can really take the next step and not have to worry about these really good 4.5yr olds walk. I hope our neighbors and us can shoot the proper # of does this year to help keep the numbers in check. Recently, we did a spotlight count and came up with 1 deer/4.5acres, but this is only after one count. We will do at least two more counts and take the average, but if this # holds, I would really like to see us get this down to 1 deer/8 acres. The good thing is that the native habitat on our property doesn't show any signs of overpopulation.

Comment

Talking about the deer looking tore up on his side. We have several deer that have open wounds even a little bloody on their sides like this. It looks like they are scratching really hard to me. Im hoping its not some kind of fly bites or parasites that will hurt the herd. He may have been scratching against something and bumped his antlers on both sides.

Comment

eliminator spin plates only work on 12v motors

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            eliminator spin plates only work on 12v motors
            Yes, thanks for mentioning that. Make sure that your 12V motor has a 1/4in shaft. We had several 12v monarch timer boxes/motors that had 1/8th inch shafts, so we had to buy new motors to make the eliminator spinner plates work.

Comment

First time seeing this thread. Really enjoyed reading through it and it is undeniable you're doing something right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

9/4/2016 Update - Fall Food Plot Prep & Snake Bite

My dad was able to mow the 5-acre field that we will be planting later this month. I met Adam Thompson, a Tecomate rep, through texasbowhunter and he will be plowing and planting Max-Attract in this 5-acre field for us. I have talked to Adam on the phone and via e-mail and he is a super nice guy and obviously knows a ton about food plots. We have two other 3-acre fields that we are spraying the cactus in and prepping this fall, but we won't be planting them until the fall of 2017. Here is a picture of the 5-acre field we are planting this fall:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9089 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	24460733

Name:	IMG_9090 (Large).jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	24460734

Here is the outline of the plot. We got onto Web Soil Survey to see where our best soils are on the place and this pink/red colored area is the best soil we have - Clay Loam:

Name:	IMG_9006 (Large).jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	24460735

My parents took our golden retriever to the ranch this weekend. my mom let her out in the backyard, which is all fenced in, around 6am and saw her rubbing her snout and acting funny after about 10 minutes. Once Stella ran inside my mom noticed a lot of blood on her snout and her face all swollen. She was bitten by a rattlesnake. They never saw the snake. My mom and dad took her to the vet in Brady, TX and he was awesome. Here are some pictures of Stella and what they gave her.

Name:	IMG_9091 (Large).jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	24460736

Name:	IMG_9093 (Large).jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	24460737
                The vet said he normally will give a dog just an IV, benadryl and some other stuff, but Stella's breathing was very sporadic. He told my mom that there is one thing he gives his dog and my mom told him to do whatever he would do to his dog. He gave her RTLR which is plasma from donors vaccinated for rattlesnakes.

Name:	IMG_9094 (Large).jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	24460738
                It has been 24-hours now and Stella is doing great. Almost all of the swelling is gone. The vet also mentioned that the snout is one of the best places to be bitten because its a vascular area...I would have thought the opposite.

I will get the trail cam cards tomorrow and will post some updated pictures tomorrow evening.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  My dad was able to mow the 5-acre field that we will be planting later this month. I met Adam Thompson, a Tecomate rep, through texasbowhunter and he will be plowing and planting Max-Attract in this 5-acre field for us. I have talked to Adam on the phone and via e-mail and he is a super nice guy and obviously knows a ton about food plots. We have two other 3-acre fields that we are spraying the cactus in and prepping this fall, but we won't be planting them until the fall of 2017. Here is a picture of the 5-acre field we are planting this fall:
                  [ATTACH]811220[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]811221[/ATTACH]

Here is the outline of the plot. We got onto Web Soil Survey to see where our best soils are on the place and this pink/red colored area is the best soil we have - Clay Loam:
                  [ATTACH]811222[/ATTACH]

My parents took our golden retriever to the ranch this weekend. my mom let her out in the backyard, which is all fenced in, around 6am and saw her rubbing her snout and acting funny after about 10 minutes. Once Stella ran inside my mom noticed a lot of blood on her snout and her face all swollen. She was bitten by a rattlesnake. They never saw the snake. My mom and dad took her to the vet in Brady, TX and he was awesome. Here are some pictures of Stella and what they gave her.
                  [ATTACH]811223[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]811224[/ATTACH]
                  The vet said he normally will give a dog just an IV, benadryl and some other stuff, but Stella's breathing was very sporadic. He told my mom that there is one thing he gives his dog and my mom told him to do whatever he would do to his dog. He gave her RTLR which is plasma from donors vaccinated for rattlesnakes.
                  [ATTACH]811225[/ATTACH]
                  It has been 24-hours now and Stella is doing great. Almost all of the swelling is gone. The vet also mentioned that the snout is one of the best places to be bitten because its a vascular area...I would have thought the opposite.

I will get the trail cam cards tomorrow and will post some updated pictures tomorrow evening.

Glad to hear the pup is doing good. We had 4 snake encounters this weekend. They are out in force. Last 5 years 3 have been killed. We have 4 dogs at camp all the time and one was spotted 30 yards from the cabin. Pretty scary stuff.

Comment

BGleaton have you seen many rattlesnakes in the area ? We are in Menard as well and fortunately haven't seen any so far.

Comment

Hate to hear that about the snake bite. Glad she's doing better.

That 5 acre field is going to be a nice addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                        BGleaton have you seen many rattlesnakes in the area ? We are in Menard as well and fortunately haven't seen any so far.
                        I haven't personally seen many, but we have a snake wrangler come out every year and he has caught anywhere from 15 to 30 at a time. My brother and dad have shot a couple. Right now, they are moving a lot because of the cooler temperatures in the morning. They are making their way back to their dens.

Comment

Sure glad to hear the pup is doing good.

Comment

Trail Cam Pics-9-4-2016

Here are some recent trail cam pictures. Only two bucks on the hit list shown below - the old 8pt in picture # 5 on the left and the old buck with the curled brow tines.

[ATTACH]811452[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]811453[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]811454[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]811455[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]811456[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]811457[/ATTACH]

Comment

9-15-2016 Trail Cam Pic Update

Old 8pt:
                              [ATTACH]814156[/ATTACH]

Old 7pt (CULL):

Name:	PICT0175 (Large).jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	24462124

Old 11pt (Moses) on left & 4.5yr old 10pt on right:
                              [ATTACH]814157[/ATTACH]

10pt & 8pt:
                              [ATTACH]814158[/ATTACH]

Nice 4.5yr old 10pt & other young bucks:
                              [ATTACH]814159[/ATTACH]

Scared Buck - not sure what to think about him:
                              [ATTACH]814160[/ATTACH]

Other young bucks:
                              [ATTACH]814161[/ATTACH]

Comment

That scared buck, think her may have gotten hit by a vehicle? Looks to be about 2.5...id let him go for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X