Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding additional A/C to a travel trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last year i had the same issue as you. I purchased an additional AC unit "remanufactured' off of ebay delivered for 600$. cut the hole in the RV roof and ran the wiring to an additional plug that i put on the outside of my RV. Basically it runs on it's own 110 circuit. I have 50 amp service to my RV plug in, and my camper runs off of 30 amp. it all works great and to be honest it was not as hard as it sounds. I was a little nervous about cutting the hole in the roof but it was very easy.

Good luck.. you won't regret it.

Comment

oh, and my camper did NOT have a vent in the bedroom area... but when i started cutting, i found that it was already FRAMED for the vent/AC. once i found that it made it SERIOUSLY easy. basically cut the hole, and slapped the AC on there.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
        Two options...one wire it in to your 50amp, you should be able to power it. Or the other option, I seen a guy on YouTube add one to the front and simply ran a normal cord to the plug in alongside his camper cord.
        I like the option of having a separate plug. All camp grounds have a 30 amp plug and some 15 amp plugs next to it. Some camp grounds don't have 50 amp plugs.

Comment

I added a portable AC and it helps a lot. Got it from Home Depot.

Has wheels so I can move it and light enough to take it home when not at the travel trailer.

J

Comment

Ours is a 30 amp trailer. It just would not keep up once temps went over the high 90's. We added a second AC in the front (master) bedroom where the roof vent was. Had it wired down to a separate 30 amp plug in the front of the trailer. When we go camp we can hook up multiple ways (lots of times if there is a 50 amp, I will adapt my 30 to 50 and plug in there), just depending on where we are at and what hookups are available. But worst case scenario if only 30 is available there is nearly always a regular 110 plug as well. We can run the camper on the 30, adapt the 30 plug on the AC to regular 110 plug in, and run it like that as needed.

The thing is, if you have the second you don't have to run it all the time. Even on the hottest days our original unit will normally do fine until around noon. At that point we turn the second unit on to keep the trailer from getting hot during mid day. By bed time usually we have the option of just turning the second one off or way down. That second unit we installed runs like a scalded ape. It is very capable of freezing you out if you leave it on wide open. If I remember right it is a Coleman. It is normally running about half capacity. But it will sure cool down that camper fast when you pull into a spot with a hot trailer in August.

Second AC was the best thing we ever did. Wife does not like a hot camper. Happy wife, happy life.
            Last edited by Jethro; 04-30-2021, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Has anyone used these? RV Airflow Systems? Incredibly expensive for a piece of styrofoam but the theory behind it sounds good.
              Improve the performance of your RV air conditioner! Our system increases you’re A/C’s cooling by maximizing its transfer efficiency! EFFICENCY IS EVERYTHING! Cooling down your RV faster, Quieter, and more Comfortable! Coleman, Dometic, Furrion, & GE Air Conditioners ( Grand Design, Thor, Forest River, Jayco… and more )

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                I like the option of having a separate plug. All camp grounds have a 30 amp plug and some 15 amp plugs next to it. Some camp grounds don't have 50 amp plugs.

Don’t know how well this would work but I have one of these adapters.

Camco 55025 PowerGrip Maximizer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E70L2...p_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                  Has anyone used these? RV Airflow Systems? Incredibly expensive for a piece of styrofoam but the theory behind it sounds good.
                  https://rvairflow.com/

I haven’t but have considered it. I watched a YouTube review video on it and it appeared to produce favorable results.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I haven’t but have considered it. I watched a YouTube review video on it and it appeared to produce favorable results.

I probably watched the same one. A 100% increase in CFM is pretty strong.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                      I probably watched the same one. A 100% increase in CFM is pretty strong.

Agreed. Buy one and test it out so we will both know! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Agreed. Buy one and test it out so we will both know! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Haha I'm actually going this weekend to measure my AC to check for a fit. But if you beat me to the punch and buy one then I expect a review.

Comment

I had to take my fifth wheel to Phoenix last summer and bought this Toshiba from Home Depot. it helped tremendously. I cut a piece of 2" insulation board to fit one of my windows and cut a 6" hole in that to exhaust out the window. Simple and effective.

Comment

Working...
                          X