Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County
Default Ar15

Is it really worth it to put one together yourself? I have a stripped lower, Anderson if memory serves me correct, an Anderson lower parts kit, an Anderson stripped upper receiver and an Aero upper parts kit.

It's been a long time since I put one together, like years and years ago, and not sure these days if it's cheaper to buy one or.....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
Lsube0555
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, tx

These days it is def cheaper to put in together yourself especially if you already have all those parts, most $500 ar’s are now 750-1000 ar’s plus you get to pick your parts and have better parts on it than just buying a “cheap”
Lsube0555 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsube0555 View Post
These days it is def cheaper to put in together yourself especially if you already have all those parts, most $500 arís are now 750-1000 arís plus you get to pick your parts and have better parts on it than just buying a ďcheapĒ
This brother! All day!
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
Solocam84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsube0555 View Post
These days it is def cheaper to put in together yourself especially if you already have all those parts, most $500 arís are now 750-1000 arís plus you get to pick your parts and have better parts on it than just buying a ďcheapĒ
This for sure!
Solocam84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

If you want to make a 300blk I’ve got an aero precision barrel that has less then 20rnds down it.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
If you want to make a 300blk Iíve got an aero precision barrel that has less then 20rnds down it.
Length? Price?

Old 05-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #7
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwpi View Post
length? Price?

Sent from my sm-g998u using tapatalk
16Ē $150
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #8
STJ
Nubbin' Buck

anderson parts....... :/
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #9
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
Yes? No?

Old 05-01-2021, 10:52 PM   #10
STJ
Nubbin' Buck

I donít want to talk down on anyone whoís exercising 2nd amendment rights. Anderson lowers can work flawlessly, CAN key word. If using it for nothing more than shooting paper then try it out! If using it for anything else I would HIGHLY disregard it. Anderson is the dollar store equivalent in the AR world.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000399670960

This is a good listen for sure, and a total recommendation for San Antonio based Sons of Liberty Gun Works

Primary & Secondary podcast- modcast 130 gun nerds QA/QC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #11
STJ
Nubbin' Buck

All that aside I do run aero lower parts kits. Never tried a upper. But I have been happy with their consistency thus far on that front.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:04 PM   #12
kae006
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

Itís cheaper to put one together if you already have the parts. I personally prefer factory or custom builds over franken-guns. Also, why buy the pieces if you didnít already plan to build one?
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 11:50 PM   #13
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae006 View Post
Itís cheaper to put one together if you already have the parts. I personally prefer factory or custom builds over franken-guns. Also, why buy the pieces if you didnít already plan to build one?
Guess probably because I was looking for something in gun safe and ran across 4 stripped lowers I've had in safe for about 3 years, and then a bag with the other stuff.

I really need to go thru my safe and probably clean it out to see what I still have hidden. I moved a few things and found half a case of Dove loads in one corner and about 50 rounds of 00 Buckshot. Found a Kimber 45 I had forgot was in there and another revolver I was given back in the early 90s for being Officer of the Year.

Last edited by DFWPI; 05-02-2021 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #14
imyomama
Ten Point

i'll take a stripped lower off your hands if you decide to part ways with one ...
as far as your original question, you can't make a mercedes out of chevy parts ... but that doesn't mean a chevy won't take you from point a to point b ... many "manufacturers" that put their names on stuff don't always "make " lowers or uppers out of their own forgings ... however, the sum of all parts is what makes it a serious tool or range toy.

I would be most concerned about moving parts , as if they are out of specs or inferior, the gun won't run right ... barrel choice is key.. a good barrel in a cheap lower usually still shoots good ... some manufacturers sell barrels with matched bolts that are a precise mate .. after that.. it gets pretty vanilla ... a cheap lower as long as all the holes are in the right place will or should be just fine ... i have one that was a fraction out of specs and it would cause my giessele trigger to run off ... swapped it out for a trigger group that was in it's own housing so tolerances remain perfect, and never had an issue since .. put the geissele in a billet lower and it too works fine ..

i think you may end up with a better built rifle than say a palmetto , with select parts , and some palmettos run just fine too... much like you can pay a ton for a P.O.F , and have to send it back countless times to get it to shoot ( friend of mine sent his back 8 times)

i would not run bottom of the barrel anderson everything , but a lower or even stripped upper ... sure ... then i'd get more picky on the rest of the stuff and you'll end up with a darn nice rifle if it's put together correctly ...

factory lpk anderson or otherwise suck regardless ... i use some parts some times , then replace this or that for something better depending on the need ...

i'm no expert, but much like you get satisfaction of taking an animal with the bullets or arrows you made , making your own rifle just the way you like it is pretty rewarding. IMO
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #15
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post

Great contribution to the thread :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #16
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Great contribution to the thread :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well, he only has 3 total posts lol

Old 05-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #17
STJ
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Well, he only has 3 total posts lol

Well, letís make it 4!

Old 05-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #18
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

If I put 10 different cast aluminum upper/lower receivers in a bag and shook them up I'd bet dollars to donuts there isn't a soul on this planet that could pick out the Anderson parts without seeing the pony on the side.

For self defense or serious competition I'd save a bit and buy a high quality rifle built by a reputable manufacturer. For literally every other use I have no problem riding the poverty pony and picking up the Anderson parts.
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #19
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
If I put 10 different cast aluminum upper/lower receivers in a bag and shook them up I'd bet dollars to donuts there isn't a soul on this planet that could pick out the Anderson parts without seeing the pony on the side.

For self defense or serious competition I'd save a bit and buy a high quality rifle built by a reputable manufacturer. For literally every other use I have no problem riding the poverty pony and picking up the Anderson parts.
While I think Anderson is fine for just a plinking AR, thereís a very large fit and finish difference in some brands.

My Mega upper/lower set and my Sons of Liberty and Seekins sets have very very tight fitment and great QC is the reason.

I do have Aero M4E1 and M5E1 sets built into rifles as well and they are not quite on the higher end as far as tight fit together but the rest is very well done. Anderson is great for a build on a budget. But you can certainly tell a difference.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #20
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
While I think Anderson is fine for just a plinking AR, thereís a very large fit and finish difference in some brands.

My Mega upper/lower set and my Sons of Liberty and Seekins sets have very very tight fitment and great QC is the reason.

I do have Aero M4E1 and M5E1 sets built into rifles as well and they are not quite on the higher end as far as tight fit together but the rest is very well done. Anderson is great for a build on a budget. But you can certainly tell a difference.
Are your tighter fitting receiver sets billet or cast? My JP rifles have zero slop in the receivers but they are all billet. I don't think its a fair comparison between billet and cast receivers. I agree that smaller manufacturers have better QC but Anderson is made in the US and fits the bill for the average person and and allows guys like me to build an odd caliber rifle or a throw around ranch gun without caring much about tearing it up. But like my last post said, If I only had one rifle, it wouldn't be a budget build.
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #21
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
Are your tighter fitting receiver sets billet or cast? My JP rifles have zero slop in the receivers but they are all billet. I don't think its a fair comparison between billet and cast receivers. I agree that smaller manufacturers have better QC but Anderson is made in the US and fits the bill for the average person and and allows guys like me to build an odd caliber rifle or a throw around ranch gun without caring much about tearing it up. But like my last post said, If I only had one rifle, it wouldn't be a budget build.
Both. Pretty even mix of both too.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 11:53 PM   #22
crimson-talon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pearsall, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post

Totally agree with trophy 8 I have 4or5 sons of liberty builds and they are tanks. Throw around anywhere and still snug and still flawless running. I have 2 mega stripped lower and uppers that feel close to the same quality and I plan to build them sooner or later. Another company I would recommend is BCM though

crimson-talon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top