Reloading room/shop design help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading room/shop design help

Recently bought a house and am slowly remodeling it one room at a time. First project on the list is I have completely gutted the old attached shop to the studs. So I have a blank canvas to work with concrete floor and have a 120 box with 6 breakers available.
    6’x19’ stairs and door on the 6’ side entering the house.
    Right side entering the room has 15’ useable wall. The left wall is about 19’ of useable wall space. Thinking about using 3/4 or 1” plywood for the walls all the way around to have a sturdy wall to use for anything and peg board for the back side of the work bench where ever I put it. Only other requirement is 30” wide standup freezer will also be kept in here.
    If nothing else really would love any help on building the reloading bench must haves dos and donts etc. and any pics of halls benches to work off of and get ideas would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by westtexducks; 07-23-2019, 07:18 PM.

I googled reloading bench plans and up popped all kinds of pictures

Comment

Here are some pics I did when I was building mine last year.

Comment

I am in the process of redoing mine since I built a new shop. But here are some pics of the way it used to be.

Comment

Comment

****.... I thought I had a big setup!!

Comment

I used 2 of these. One is 3' long and has my 650xl on it, and one is 6' long and has my lee classic turret, lee single stage, powder measure, and square deal b. The short one has a clearance kitchen counter top that was $6 at lowes, and the long one has 2 layers of 3/4" plywood with a topping of some leftover cherry floor laminate I had. I left the middle self out of te sort one and the 650xl is on a strong mount, and I use an adjustable height drafting chair. The SDB is on a strong mount also. The mid and bottom shelves are very sturdy also.

You can build these any length you want the plenty stout enough for reloading presses. Other places sell them also, so shop.

Comment

This is what I have. I stuffed it in the loft of my condo.

Couple pieces of plank, then threw some 2 1/2” lag bolts thru it, then use the big C clamps so I can pull it off as needed and not drill into the work bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                  Thinking about using 3/4 or 1” plywood for the walls all the way around to have a sturdy wall to use for anything and peg board for the back side of the work bench where ever I put it.
                  3/8" plywood is PLENTY for the walls, assuming your studs are on 16" centers. All the walls in my shop are done with 3/8" and I've yet to see it even give, with anything that I've hung on it. The walls inside my house are also 3/8" plywood, ripped and routered to look like nickle gap siding. Same there; I haven't had any problems hanging anything on those.

Comment

My reloading bench is an old bowling lane. Best bench I have ever had. It is 11 feet long and one end couples as a work bench as well. They are so heavy it took 4 of us to lift it on to the base I built for it. It is so heavy and solid I did not even have to anchor it into the wall studs, which I would highly recommend if you put in something lighter. The worst thing you can have is a a loading bench that moves when you pull the ram down on your press.

I would try to google and find a used bowling lane. There are many out there for sale, you just need to find one in your area.

Beyond that, think about your workflow and set everything up in place according to the steps you use to reload.

Good luck with it, that will be a great project!
                    Last edited by WyoBull; 07-24-2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

my two cents. Work from the floor up. That is, floor that your chair will roll smoothly on then comfortable bench height for working the press handle while sitting. Lots of width to work side to side assembly line style.

Comment

my reloading room facing the Back 40

just kidding

Comment

After seeing these pics. I'm not showing mine.

Comment

^

Comment

You guys have some nice setups. I started my reloading room back in February.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00958DSC00958.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	24587058

Name:	DSC00959DSC00959.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	24587059

Name:	DSC00960DSC00960.jpg