Palo Duro Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palo Duro Canyon

We are wanting to plan a 2-3 day trip before it gets to hot. Any advice on where to stay, eat or other thing to see while we are there. Never been before.... Thanks.

For sure stop in and check out the Panhandle Plains Museum.

Comment

If you go after June 1, make sure to see the musical "Texas" in Palo Duro Canyon State Park. The Panhandle Plains Historical Museum in Canyon is good for both young and old.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
        For sure stop in and check out the Panhandle Plains Museum.
        ^yep. It's one of the coolest museums in the state, IMO.

You should also visit Caprock Canyons State Park while you're in the neighborhood.

Comment

Alibates quarry but don't pick up any rocks. Them Alibates flint rocks are protected species. Ancient history.

Comment

I lived in Amarillo for three years and went to the canyon often. Such an awesome sight the first time you leave the park headquarters. Understand that the park is out of town several miles. Canyon is the closest town, its small but has all the stuff you may need. The museum at West Texas A&M is cool for its size. Amarillo has plenty of restaurants and things to do. If you are camping in the park, I'm sure you will need reservations. If you go to the horse area at the end of the park in the early evening, glass the eastern cliffs and you should see groups of Aoudad on the various rims of the canyon. Great hiking and lots of wildlife. Keep an eye on the weather forecast this time of year. Remember, if it really rains hard for an extended time, you may have to leave the park as the interior park roads will flood. Hopefully folks will have current restaurant info for you. Cool part of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
              I lived in Amarillo for three years and went to the canyon often. Such an awesome sight the first time you leave the park headquarters. Understand that the park is out of town several miles. Canyon is the closest town, its small but has all the stuff you may need. The museum at West Texas A&M is cool for its size. Amarillo has plenty of restaurants and things to do. If you are camping in the park, I'm sure you will need reservations. If you go to the horse area at the end of the park in the early evening, glass the eastern cliffs and you should see groups of Aoudad on the various rims of the canyon. Great hiking and lots of wildlife. Keep an eye on the weather forecast this time of year. Remember, if it really rains hard for an extended time, you may have to leave the park as the interior park roads will flood. Hopefully folks will have current restaurant info for you. Cool part of the state.
              Ditto

Comment

If you are planning on going into the park for 2-3 days, buy the state parks pass. I agree with the others on the museum at wtamu. My daughter is on the volleyball team there. She and I are both history buffs and we really enjoyed it. We have done a couple of short hikes in the park. Lots more to go on in the future. It a pretty cool place. Planning on camping in the park on our next visit. A couple of places on the square in Canyon have pretty decent food. The taco place, the steak house and the vietnamese place are all possibilities.

Comment

We have a RV site in the park for 3 nights in mid-June. Looking forward to hearing the responses here to help us plan.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie182 View Post
                    We have a RV site in the park for 3 nights in mid-June. Looking forward to hearing the responses here to help us plan.
                    Plan on, its going to be 10-15 degrees hotter in the bottom of the canyon than it will be up on top, lol.

But seriously, See Texas and the Museum. Both are legendary and very good.

Comment

Big Texan in Amarillo!

Comment

I'd also suggest reading "Empire of the Summer Moon" before you go for a little historical context.

Comment

go see the buried cadillacs in the corn field. i did not agree with the spray painting of them but they were cool to see.

i spent an entire afternoon at the museum. the guns were very impressive. i could spend a lot more time in there.

the canyon was beautiful. if you are there during the time of the play it is worth seeing. My wife and Daughter did a Horseback ride through the canyon also and really enjoyed it.

American Quarter Horse Museum \ Headquarters was pretty cool if you are into horses.

lots of restaurants. The Big Texan used to send a (longhorn horns on the hood) limo to your hotel to pick you up if you called and made a reservation. i ate the 72oz steak in under an hour. it was free but kind of rough towards the end. if you do it, eat fast.

Comment

Coyote bluff in Amarillo for dinner.

Comment

It's been several years since I've been and seen the play. We are going back in July. It will be a hot mother trucker for sure. Does the monkey train still not run?

Comment

Working...
                              X