• Show
Clear All

45-70 with 405’s and Smokeless Powder.

45-110 with 560’s and Black Powder.

Comment

338 wm

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
        Yep! My bad. Genuinely interested. Enjoy that grizzly hunt with the ruger 10/22!
        lol.

Comment

300wsm

Comment

Grizzly/Moose keeps my suggestion at 30-06 or 300wm; seems a bit much for coues and javelina, though. Both have lots of off-the-shelf and reloading options. There's no shortage of big game animals being taken with smaller calibers over the last 100yrs, but just because something 'can' be done doesn't mean it 'should' be done. If you can handle the recoil, mitigating risk of wind, elevation, and shot placement isn't a bad thing. That especially goes for expensive guided hunts where one trigger pull is the cost of a F-150. For folks that live and hunt in places their whole life, I'm sure there is familiarity of methods, terrain, and shooting conditions that gives the confidence for lighter calibers.

Comment

I’m a big 308 fan too but if a grizzly bear is a regular I think I’d want a lil upgrade maby a double barrel 308

Comment

If I had to limit myself to one caliber it would be 28.

Comment

30-06 or 308

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                    Well I'm reading all the posts and it seems to me that alot of you guys aren't actually thinking about the actual question, One gun for ALL of NA. from Javies to Moose and Griz. Don't think I would be going after Javies or Coues deer with a 30 cal you waste too much meat. A big coues deer will weigh around 80lbs. My go to caliber would be a 7mm mag.
                    No flaming this is MY opinion.

On the smaller critters, that’s what head shots are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                      On the smaller critters, that’s what head shots are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      And on bigger critters with smaller calibers, that’s what earholes are for.

Comment

A model 70 safari in 375 H&H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1st choice for me would be 300wm with 180gr Nosler Accubonds.
                          2nd choice would be 7mm with 160gr Nosler Accubonds.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                            Well I'm reading all the posts and it seems to me that alot of you guys aren't actually thinking about the actual question, One gun for ALL of NA. from Javies to Moose and Griz. Don't think I would be going after Javies or Coues deer with a 30 cal you waste too much meat. A big coues deer will weigh around 80lbs. My go to caliber would be a 7mm mag.
                            No flaming this is MY opinion.
                            Meat loss has much more to do with bullet selection than cartridge used. A .300 win mag with a Barnes (or any other bonded bullet) will destroy less meat than a .25-06, .270 etc. with a soft bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                              Meat loss has much more to do with bullet selection than cartridge used. A .300 win mag with a Barnes (or any other bonded bullet) will destroy less meat than a .25-06, .270 etc. with a soft bullet.

I shot one javi with my 300wm through the lungs using 185gr Berger Hybrid hunter, small entry and exit, it seems like bullet just pencil through it.

Comment

257 wby mag

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X