No announcement yet.

Brisket education resource?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tip I ever received was to learn what temp your smoker likes to run at and don’t fight it. I started off on a newbraunfels smoker and tried to cook at the typical 225. But for whatever reason, I couldn’t get the smoker below 275. After months of frustration I finally just learned to cook @275 and haven’t turned back. Been a game changer.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtNap View Post
      Best tip I ever received was to learn what temp your smoker likes to run at and don’t fight it. I started off on a newbraunfels smoker and tried to cook at the typical 225. But for whatever reason, I couldn’t get the smoker below 275. After months of frustration I finally just learned to cook @275 and haven’t turned back. Been a game changer.
      This is the first time I have heard this, but it makes a lot of sense. I would fight mine and get all drunk and angry...never resulted in a good brisket.

Comment

Jason, if you don’t have one, get yourself a meat thermometer. I always heard the old school method of cooking brisket 1 hr per pound and I’m sure that method works fine but, I’ve always used the thermometer method. Wrap In foil or a better wrapping is butcher paper at 160-170 and cook until internal temp is around 205. Follow the franklins procedure and you won’t be disappointed. Good luck and let us know how it went. Merry Christmas my friend.

Comment

Get a maverick et-733 or equivalent thermometer to know what temp your pit and meat is at. Don't open pit to check. If you're looking its not cooking.

My preference is fat side down. Since you have an offset smoker the heat is coming from under the meat. Use the fat to protect the meat from the heat. Keep it low and slow. Plan for 1:15 per pound. If it finishes early then let it rest longer.

Wrapping will speed it through the stall so if you wrap you can plan for 1 hr per pound.

Comment

Camp Brisket, a joint venture between Foodways Texas and Texas A&M University, explores all facets of the centerpiece of Texas Barbecue, the beef brisket. 

Comment

Lots of good advice above. Good luck to you!

Comment

Here is the easiest way to do a brisket.
                Buy a quality pellet grill like a Rec Teq or Yoder and cook at 225, wrap in butcher paper at 163-165, cook until the internal temperature is 203, remove the brisket from the smoker and take it to the kitchen and let it sit for an hour. Remove paper, follow directions on how to slice it.

I'll give you a tip that I never knew about and a friend told me about it.

Before your add the rub to your brisket, take note of how the grain is running. Since you want to cut across the grain, make a few shallow cuts across the brisket before you season it. Then when the brisket is done and you can't see the grain you will see those cuts and know exactly how to slice.

Merry Christmas

Comment

Another vote for Aaron Franklin's method. He also wrote a book on the subject...very helpful!

Comment

Working...
                  X