No announcement yet.

Wing Archery Presentation ll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful bow! It should be a sweet shooter, good luck with it!

Comment

Comment

CaptJack,

What type of string do you prefer on your Wing Bows? I've been shooting a little Red Wing Hunter for a while with the linen strings that came with it. Are there better choices for these old bows?

BTW, I shoot FF on my "modern" longbows.

Thanks,
        Kevin

Comment

Bob always made us use B-50 Dacron, continuous loop strings - all I would shoot on an old Wing.
          It wasn't until just a few years ago that his son Rob made him change his mind and set his bows up for Flemish fast-flight strings.

This was one of the issues between Palmer and Bob when they had Partners bows. Palmer's point is that fast flight strings increase fps and when you are building cutting edge recurves to maximize performance you can't live in the 50s. - also why Palmer has double carbon laminates in his limbs and the Lees don't.

If you take a 64" 50# Palmer and a 64" 50# Bob Lee (almost identical in appearance) and shoot them through a chronograph, Palmer's bow will be at least 15~20 fps faster than the Lee.

When we were growing up the only limbs on the market that were as smooth as Wing were the Hoyt (a little snappy) and the BlackWidow (WilsonBros) (all Bear bows STACK!)

I have a quandary - Mike built my handle and Bob built my limbs - it is super smooth but a lot slower than Mike's new limbs (it does have a Flemish fast-flight string)

also to add - Palmer was all over carbon arrows when they came out - as Mike says - "it's either straight or it's broken" - and was adding home-made tube weights to them long before anyone else had even heard of it - and as soon as he had set up his new shop in
          Sabinal was experimenting with carbon laminates in his limbs.

Since Bob Lee bows, Palmer bows and Quinn bows (we were all in the same archery club together, and close friends with Earle Bateman) are all cut past center and have full sight windows, they are very easy to tune many different weight arrows. And especially the Quinn Stallion since it is designed to be shot off of an elevated rest with a plunger button, as well as off of it's radiused shelf.

The other thing to note is that both Lee's & Palmer's bows are two bolts per limb (I wish David had done that on the Quinns) There is no harmonic vibration because the limbs are locked down. All single bolt limbs have harmonic vibration and on the Stallion with the metal handle, makes it louder and harder to get quiet. Palmer and Lee bows a dead in your hand and really quiet !!
          Last edited by CaptJack; 12-06-2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks CaptJack! I think I'll order some strings from 3R tonight. What's the deal with the linen strings? Was that older technology? The ones that I have came in a Wing package along with the bow.

Comment

I don't think they're linen - probably Dacron

Comment

CaptJack,

Went in the garage and found the last string, still in the package. It is in fact Double Looped Dacron. The Brand is K&B Company, out of San Angelo. It has green serving and the white string looks just like the one on my bow, except its serving on that one is red. I wish that I'd saved the package for the "red" one, as I'm pretty sure (was real sure before this morning ) that it was labeled "Wing" and said "linen" in the description. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your wealth of Wing knowledge

Sincerely,
                Kevin

Comment

Hello All
                  The first Wing I own was a P II. a friend of mine won it in a bow raffle. And sold it to me for $150.

All my composition was shot and won with that bow. It served me well.Tried the Hoyt's. But the bow grip was small .And led me to far into the bow grip.

I also have several PII bows. And the last one I acquired had a short riser.Like the ones you show in your picture. Its also black.

Now to my long a waited question, for you. Since I have search quiet awhile on this riser. Are all of your short riser bows . Are all wood.

Reason I ask mine doesn't seem to be wood. So to my next question . Did they sand cast a riser the same shape as the short riser you show pictures of. Or a fiberglass version.
                  Thanks [ Later

Comment

Your bow may be a CII and not a PII. It had a metal riser and the limbs slide into the handle on dove tail rails into the dove tail grooves in the metal handle.I owned a CII and hunted with it for years. I traded it for a pair of Zeiss binoculars. Even though the binos were worth way more than the Wing, I still wish I hadn't done it. It was 59# and the smoothest bow I've evrowned.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                      Your bow may be a CII and not a PII. It had a metal riser and the limbs slide into the handle on dove tail rails into the dove tail grooves in the metal handle.I owned a CII and hunted with it for years. I traded it for a pair of Zeiss binoculars. Even though the binos were worth way more than the Wing, I still wish I hadn't done it. It was 59# and the smoothest bow I've evrowned.

Hello
                      Thanks for your reply.
                      The limbs bolt on, as the other 4 PII's I have. The limb cut out is the same also. Will try to get a pic posted.[ Later

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post

Hello
                        Thanks for your reply.
                        The limbs bolt on, as the other 4 PII's I have. The limb cut out is the same also. [ Later

Comment

to know: the sold black on some of the Wing bows is a 'phenolic' plastic material
                          it is heavier than wood and adds mass to the weight of the bow
                          the short riser P-II in the pic above is sold phenolic

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJack View Post
                            to know: the sold black on some of the Wing bows is a 'phenolic' plastic material
                            it is heavier than wood and adds mass to the weight of the bow
                            the short riser P-II in the pic above is sold phenolic
                            =====================

Hello CaptJack and All
                            Sorry for the double post above. My young timers must have kicked in. .

And now I know. Appreciate your input here to Clair-fly the product used. Been trying to chase the ends and outs of this short end P II riser for a spell.

Now in my search, and talking to a well know-ed bow builder. My question to him. Why have the one end of the riser shorter.
                            He stated, it had to do with the bow grip location. And by having one end shorter .
                            It now made the bottom bow limb weaker. And intern allowed for the bow to be in a more vertical position. At aim and casting of the arrow. Again thanks. Later

Comment

Looking for Wing Preso II

Fellows, I know this is an old thread getting resurrected, appreciate your patience with me on it.

I have been a member here a while, but dont post much. Live in NW Houston, shoot at the range nearby.

I am in search of a wing preso II riser handle like at start of this thread. Anyone has one, please let me know.

I tried a private message to thread owner, but have too few posts to enable I think... could not get it working.

Thank you, Greg (different Greg than original poster..)

Comment

He hasn't posted anything since 2019.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X