Aoudad ewe euro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad ewe euro

I took this ewe a couple weeks ago and decided to try my hand at a euro using the boil and liquid peroxide. Had an old blackbuck and waterbuck skull in the garage that the kids found at the ranch a few years ago and did those too as practice. I think they turned out pretty good.

I forgot to turn the pressure down on the power washer when I was cleaning the aoudad horns and lightened them up. Had to come back and stain them. The stain color isn’t perfect, but it’ll do for my first one doing it with the boil and power wash.

Let me know what y’all think.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	27014396-3629-4D67-A639-0091147BE419.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	25208065

Name:	A037476B-E467-4F24-8918-D6F0BF9F9F86.jpeg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	25208066

Name:	950401F7-8D84-4B27-9411-56241956671B.jpeg
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	25208067

Name:	03D6A21E-88C8-475E-9354-548BE05B55C2.jpeg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	25208068

Name:	D4C25900-F051-49D4-BD0F-AD486F727BDE.jpeg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	25208069

Name:	C40A01B4-8F03-4AFF-9944-0DFAC42612C2.jpeg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	25208070

Name:	F1CCD253-4A0B-41FF-87EF-E95EF6CDECC8.jpeg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	25208071

I think it turned out great! Good job!

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Nice..

Comment

Look pretty dang good to me. Nice job.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Very nice!!

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

That came out nicely!!

Comment

wow, that looks great!

Comment

There's still some grease in the skull, that will eventually surface, but I'm guessing you went from the pot to bleach, and didn't degrease it at all.

Do you see the difference in the horn color, before you got them wet and after you finished simmering it? That is one of the biggest reasons that I don't boil. The darkening of the horn is from it soaking up the oils during the simmer. There's no way to get that out. Most people won't notice it, but if you put it next to a fresh skull, it's very obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        There's still some grease in the skull, that will eventually surface, but I'm guessing you went from the pot to bleach, and didn't degrease it at all.

Do you see the difference in the horn color, before you got them wet and after you finished simmering it? That is one of the biggest reasons that I don't boil. The darkening of the horn is from it soaking up the oils during the simmer. There's no way to get that out. Most people won't notice it, but if you put it next to a fresh skull, it's very obvious.
                        Thanks for the info TT!

After getting the meat off with a simmer and power wash, it went into a pot with simmering water and the liquid peroxide to whiten. I had oxyclean in the original simmer to help degrease. What is a better way to degrease?

The horns were only in the pot for about 10 minutes (before adding oxyclean) to help with knocking them off the horn cores. After that, I scrubbed them inside and out and power washed (at too high of pressure). The horns lost almost all of their color. I had to come back and stain them with a wood stain.

Keep the info coming!! Always looking to learn something

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                          Thanks for the info TT!

After getting the meat off with a simmer and power wash, it went into a pot with simmering water and the liquid peroxide to whiten. I had oxyclean in the original simmer to help degrease. What is a better way to degrease?

The horns were only in the pot for about 10 minutes (before adding oxyclean) to help with knocking them off the horn cores. After that, I scrubbed them inside and out and power washed (at too high of pressure). The horns lost almost all of their color. I had to come back and stain them with a wood stain.

Keep the info coming!! Always looking to learn something
                          The only way to effectively degrease a skull is warm, soapy water and time. 120 degrees, to be specific.

It doesn't take long for the horns to soak up grease. If you slip the horns in either straight water or a black trash bag, with a cup of water, they'll come off without any discoloration. After they come off, you can scrub them and clean the rest of the skull however you want.

It is possible to do a skull mount, in a day or less, but it's almost impossible to do one correctly, in that short time. I have a Texas killed warthog that I've been working on for over a year, and there's still grease in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            The only way to effectively degrease a skull is warm, soapy water and time. 120 degrees, to be specific.

It doesn't take long for the horns to soak up grease. If you slip the horns in either straight water or a black trash bag, with a cup of water, they'll come off without any discoloration. After they come off, you can scrub them and clean the rest of the skull however you want.

It is possible to do a skull mount, in a day or less, but it's almost impossible to do one correctly, in that short time. I have a Texas killed warthog that I've been working on for over a year, and there's still grease in it.
                            Awesome! Thanks again for the info!! Can’t wait to see the warthog!

Comment

Good Job

Comment

Working...
                              X