Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.
Default Should they pay?

Should the Bicyclist pay road taxes since they use the roads we vehicle owners already pay for, we pay to inspect and register our vehicle yearly, should they?

My dad hit and killed two bikers while I was in High School. They where riding on the service road of I-30 late in the evening. One of the riders killed was an instructor that taught to never ride in the mornings or evenings. My sister and I were in the truck with my dad when the accident happened. We were driving into the evening sun and all of a sudden we heard an explosion. Next thing I know there's a body on the hood and a body about 30 yard behind the truck. I grab my sister from the back seat, shielding her from seeing any of the images I still see today. She doesn't remember much about the accident, luckily. My father, who is the greatest man I have ever known, almost didn't make it through this. He spent months, if not a year, in the sanctuary of their church praying on his knees for forgiveness; though he had done nothing wrong. Today he has accepted what happened with the help of the Lord all mighty.

Still today I struggle with this. Should they have to pay? Who am I to say but seeing all my father went through, and still does every time he sees bikers, I think they should. If they want to use the roads our motor vehicle registration and tax dollars pay for then they should pay.

This time of year always brings up these thoughts. Thinking of the families of those killed riding on public roadways. I would gladly pay a little more to subsidize a bike only lane on every roadway in America to keep myself and my father from going through what we had too.

Please watch out for the bike riders while driving.

Sorry for the "Debby downer" message but it has been on my mind this holiday season.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
GTRH8R
Ten Point

Hunt In: N TX

Yes. If they are vehicles then yes. The hog up the road every weekend and I wind up sitting behind them. If they feel they belong on the road then they should pay.
GTRH8R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Sweet!
I haven't seen a good bike thread in a while!
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

My prayers go out to your dad.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Cantcatch5
Ten Point

I do not think it is safe for them to be on the roads with vehicles going 5x their speed but how would them paying make things safer? There definitely isnt enough of them on the road to pay for an additional lane I wouldnt think.
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
k9trainer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
I do not think it is safe for them to be on the roads with vehicles going 5x their speed but how would them paying make things safer? There definitely isnt enough of them on the road to pay for an additional lane I wouldnt think.

I agree, and I certainly don't want the gov taxing more things but something has to give. They shouldn't be allowed to clog roadways and ignore traffic laws, but I don't have any answers as to what the solution would be
k9trainer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

Yes they should. Plain and simple, if they are using the road, they should pay registration just like any other vehicle.
Puggy625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I feel for your dad. If I see a guy riding his bike to work, I give him all the respect he deserves. If they're not going to work, stay the **** off the road.
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Shallowater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County, New Mexico

I hear you. I live on a winding little road in parker county and they seem to love to use it. It is probably the least safe road I can think of for them to ride, but they love the hills and the turns. Scares me to death to see a big group of them taking up a lane on a road that isn't hardly wide enough for two trucks.

I live in horror that one day I am going to top a hill and see where an oilfield tank truck has taken a half dozen of them out. i wish there were just bike trails they could use not to be selfish, but because I see a bloody ending for some of them, and shattered lives for the survivors.
Shallowater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Shallowater
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
I feel for your dad. If I see a guy riding his bike to work, I give him all the respect he deserves. If they're not going to work, stay the **** off the road.
I've thought this very thing a time or two. When does making a public road your playground make alot of sense? Never. How is it even legal to turn a public road into your hobby??
Old 12-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

No. They don't damage the roads.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Barbara
Four Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

I am a bike rider and I try to stay off the roads because of drivers that are preoccupied
texting. The motorcyclists still have a problem with drivers that "don't see them". Cycling would definitely help the obesity problem we have in the United States. I did a presentation on cycling and the obesity problem here in the states and wish I could upload the information for all of you. http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/...k-infographic/ http://www.iaso.org/iotf/obesity/?map=adults
There are many of us that should get from behind the wheel and walk or cycle more. I guess people that walk along the roadway should be taxed also. There are many people that own bikes that also own a vehicle for transportation so they should be taxed twice. I mean that bike really puts a lot of wear and tear on those roads. Really?
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
tvc184
Pope & Young

No.

What would the state inspect, their tires? Handle bars? Gears?

Are any of those causing damages to cars because of being in poor condition?

Vehicle inspections are to make the road safer because cars going up to 85 mph legally in some places potentially pose a huge risk to other people with defective tires, brakes, lights, etc. How many times have we seen on the news people being killed in head on accidents when another car hydroplaned, usually for bad tires? How many accidents have been caused by brake lights being out?

I see none of those as issues for a bicycle that will make the motoring public safer and therefore bicycle inspections would be ridiculous. How about this, since ATV's and UTV's are generally not road legal but can legally cross public roadways, then let's have the state inspect (tax) all of our ATV, UTV, golf carts, etc., to make the roads safer.

It would make about as much sense.

Anyone ready for more government regulations that are in place merely for tax purposes? Not me.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
BigTex.308
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods.

What ****** me off about those daggum bikers is NONE of them follow the freaking traffic laws. I see them running stop signs and red lights all the time. Not to mention all those idiots that get on those curvy roads going 20mph. that's just an accident waiting to happen.

I'm highly against another tax and I don't think they should be forced to stay off the roads either. I just wish these idiots would stay off the dangerous roads and ride their freaking bikes somewhere else.

Ike

Last edited by BigTex.308; 12-26-2013 at 02:38 PM.
BigTex.308 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

As much as I can't stand people on bikes who think they are a "vehicle" and take up ANY part of vehicles lanes of traffic other than the shoulder I do NOT think they should have to be taxed or pay to use the roadway. Next thing you know they would be taxing people who run on the roads
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Sorry for what your family had to go through with the incidents you wrote about.

More taxes, come on???
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
DTala
Ten Point

I don't think they should pay to ride on public roads...

they should be banned from riding on public roads, and if caught doing so, beat and jailed.

carry on....
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
tvc184
Pope & Young

On a kind of related subject, soon we will no longer have inspections stickers in Texas.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Puggy625
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I am a bike rider and I try to stay off the roads because of drivers that are preoccupied
texting. The motorcyclists still have a problem with drivers that "don't see them". Cycling would definitely help the obesity problem we have in the United States. I did a presentation on cycling and the obesity problem here in the states and wish I could upload the information for all of you. http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/...k-infographic/ http://www.iaso.org/iotf/obesity/?map=adults
There are many of us that should get from behind the wheel and walk or cycle more. I guess people that walk along the roadway should be taxed also. There are many people that own bikes that also own a vehicle for transportation so they should be taxed twice. I mean that bike really puts a lot of wear and tear on those roads. Really?
So should I be taxed twice for having multiple vehicles or for my motorcycle? Flawed thinking on your part. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
As much as I can't stand people on bikes who think they are a "vehicle" and take up ANY part of vehicles lanes of traffic other than the shoulder I do NOT think they should have to be taxed or pay to use the roadway. Next thing you know they would be taxing people who run on the roads
Isn't that what sidewalks are for, running, not running on the road?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

While they are a hazard to driving at times I don't think they should have to pay taxes for bicycling on the roadway. If that happens then we would have to pay taxes for our children and grandchildren to ride on the street. Then the skateboarderes and roller bladers would come into play and eventually they would want to tax again those that walk on the sidewalks, who are already paying taxes for that right.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
No.

What would the state inspect, their tires? Handle bars? Gears?

Are any of those causing damages to cars because of being in poor condition?

Vehicle inspections are to make the road safer because cars going up to 85 mph legally in some places potentially pose a huge risk to other people with defective tires, brakes, lights, etc. How many times have we seen on the news people being killed in head on accidents when another car hydroplaned, usually for bad tires? How many accidents have been caused by brake lights being out?

I see none of those as issues for a bicycle that will make the motoring public safer and therefore bicycle inspections would be ridiculous. How about this, since ATV's and UTV's are generally not road legal but can legally cross public roadways, then let's have the state inspect (tax) all of our ATV, UTV, golf carts, etc., to make the roads safer.

It would make about as much sense.

Anyone ready for more government regulations that are in place merely for tax purposes? Not me.
Ok.. let g of the "road maintenance and upkeep" part of the whole 'tax" idea... if they are not to be taxed ..as a vehicle that uses the road... how about a License then.. as vehicle that uses the road?
Want to ride on the road? vehicle must be registered...like everything else on the road... and rider should have to obtain a license to operate the vehicle on the road... like every other drver/rider of a registered vehicle on the road.
Whole new revenue stream..
That easier to swallow?
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggy625 View Post

Isn't that what sidewalks are for, running, not running on the road?
Actually it is against the law to run or walk in a roadway when there is a sidewalk. Unfortunately probably more than half of the roads do not have sidewalks provided.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTala View Post
I don't think they should pay to ride on public roads...

they should be banned from riding on public roads, and if caught doing so, beat and jailed.

carry on....
x2000
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
ckuehl
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk and Tyler Counties

This topic and people that go slow in the Left lanes usually fire TBH up like nothing else. I feel sorry for your father and could not imagine how many times the accident has gone through your heads. As well as the bikers family. I believe cyclist should not travel on roads with trucks and cars that are going much faster . I would not put myself in the situation of a bike rider. Just seams like a death wish. As for you guys that cycle, I am not sure what the solution is for you either.
ckuehl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
BonesandArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Deep South TX - Starr County

I live in boerne tx. It is covered in cyclist daily. All over every road and access roads. I spend time behind them and hold my breath every time I pass one on a one lane road hoping they don't get out in front of me or wreck while hugging the edge of the road and get ran over.
BonesandArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #26
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

No. It would be nice if bikes had there own path, but Texas is just too big. If taxed, even the kids playing on their new Christmas bike would have to "pay the Tax" before leaving their driveway. And the training wheels would need to have a extra tire tax.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
Puggy625
Ten Point

Quote:
Actually it is against the law to run or walk in a roadway when there is a sidewalk. Unfortunately probably more than half of the roads do not have sidewalks provided.
Agreed. So why must one pay to register a boat and trailer as well to use on the road and lakes if bicycles get a pass? Should they be exempt also using the "taxed twice" mentality?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
quackerback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: down the road

Quote:
On a kind of related subject, soon we will no longer have inspections stickers in Texas.
what are they gonna have. cause i sure dont see inspections going away
quackerback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #29
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Agreed. So why must one pay to register a boat and trailer as well to use on the road and lakes if bicycles get a pass? Should they be exempt also using the "taxed twice" mentality?
I am for getting away with all registration fees and inspections however they will still need to same money to fund DPS, TPWD, etc.

Let's just increase all sales taxes so we can all share equally instead of just heaping the taxes on those that actually use the public right of ways and facilities. We still still need inspections and such but let's all share the burden.

Right?

I see lots of government money spent enforcing traffic laws, boating laws, hunting and fishing laws, etc. I don't see any money at all being spent enforcing bicycle laws. I have been in law enforcement for 30 years and have never seen a bicycle enforcement task force. Maybe it is time for one.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
x2000
lol yep
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #31
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackerback View Post
what are they gonna have. cause i sure dont see inspections going away
There will still be required inspections but there will be no stickers. You will get a certificate and it will be recorded on your license plate information. If an officer stops you and runs your plate (or runs it as you drive down the road), it will show that the vehicle has not been inspected.

I think they were trying to respond to the continuing problem with inspection stickers being stolen from business and taken off of vehicles and ones being faked. It isn't hard to copy an inspection sticker on a computer.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #32
Puggy625
Ten Point

Wink

Quote:
I am for getting away with all registration fees and inspections however they will still need to same money to fund DPS, TPWD, etc.

Let's just increase all sales taxes so we can all share equally instead of just heaping the taxes on those that actually use the public right of ways and facilities. We still still need inspections and such but let's all share the burden.

Right?

I see lots of government money spent enforcing traffic laws, boating laws, hunting and fishing laws, etc. I don't see any money at all being spent enforcing bicycle laws. I have been in law enforcement for 30 years and have never seen a bicycle enforcement task force. Maybe it is time for one.
Great! I already pay for highway funds through my federal taxes. I'm already "taxed twice" (or multiple times if you count each vehicle I have registered to me).
Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #33
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Sad story to hear for sure.

Actually, the way I see some of these weekend warrior groups ride all around the Houston area on a weekly basis, it's amazing more of them don't get seriously hurt or killed. Countless times I've seen these people ride down busy city streets (no shoulder) in packs of 20-50 deep taking up just about the entire side of the road impeding traffic. Not to mention the many times I've seen these groups blow through red lights if they don't see a car coming although they are supposed to follow the rules of the road.

I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but some of these groups down right impede traffic flow. For that alone, they should have to pay some type of registration fee.

Don't get me wrong. I try to be as courtious as possible when driving around bike riders provided I would never want to be the driver in the story the OP shared. But at the same time, I think it's funny how all of these cyclist say that other drivers should be more courtious to them and be willing to share the road as the road is theirs to use as much as anyone else. If a bicycle was your primary transportation and way to work, that's one thing, but if it's your weekend warrior hobby, then that's another.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

Bike girl gets to ride free.
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #35
wilcohunter
Banned!!!

Don't think they should pay but do think they need to get the hell out of the way!! Sorry to hear about your father and glad he has been able to forgive himself and move on. My grandfather hit two cyclists about 5 years ago. He came around a corner pulling a loaded stock trailer and there they were in the middle of the lane. Now way he could stop...
wilcohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #36
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Yes they should pay and only be allowed on designated roads with a bike lane they pay for. They ride all over the road where I live and are a pain in the rear. I've almost hit them many times.
denimdeerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #37
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Great! I already pay for highway funds through my federal taxes. I'm already "taxed twice" (or multiple times if you count each vehicle I have registered to me).
I am taxed way more than twice. The feds take their cut three times (income, social security and medicare taxes), the I own land in Texas so I have to pay for roads, law enforcement, etc., but then I have to pay for my trailer, my vehicle and sales taxes.

I still don't see where bicycles are an issue to be taxed on the roadway which seems to be out of spite. Some people just don't like bicycles on the road. Great but what will a fee do? In fact many people on here have bicycles or they have kids that do and they are claiming to want to pay more taxes and the extra taxes will not change bicycles on the roadways.

If a person is worried about too many bike riders in a city, would it make the person feel better if they were paying a $5-$10 road use fee?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #38
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Quote:
.....I think they were trying to respond to the continuing problem with inspection stickers being stolen from business and taken off of vehicles and ones being faked. It isn't hard to copy an inspection sticker on a computer.
When I was in my 20's I had an old '76 C10 Chevy truck that wouldn't pass state inspection. I drew, cut, and colored a very good likeness of one and used it for several months. Later that year I sold the truck to a buddy that wanted to part it out.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #39
CaptainDave
Ten Point

[QUOTE=tvc184;8057666]I am for getting away with all registration fees and inspections however they will still need to same money to fund DPS, TPWD, etc.

Right?

I see lots of government money spent enforcing traffic laws, boating laws, hunting and fishing laws, etc. I don't see any money at all being spent enforcing bicycle laws. I have been in law enforcement for 30 years and have never seen a bicycle enforcement task force. Maybe it is time for one.[/QUOTE]

Dumb question, but why can't the normal patrols enforcing traffic laws also enforce bicyle laws? If you are working an area and see a group of cyclist break a law, just pull them over and issue a citation. Couldn't this just be like speeding tickets or something. Obviously, you can't write a ticket for everyone that is speeding down a roadway, however, you can issue a citation here and there, which typically keeps the population somewhat in check. Same could be for bicyles. If word got out that a few citations have been issued to cyclist for breaking traffic laws, then perhaps more of them would be inclined to simply follow the laws.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #40
tvc184
Pope & Young

This thread and others like it remind me of a quote more than 160 years ago by a Frenchman when talking about Americans.

“Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.”
Alexis de Tocqueville

By God, if I gotta pay, he has to pay!!

Let's drag us all down so we can be equal at the lowest common denominator.

And by the way, I don't own a bicycle and no one in my immediate family does either. It just seems silly to tax someone else because I have to pay for a car license.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville/Refugio

should pedestrians pay? what about runners? what about soccer mom's pushing strollers with occupancy ratings of 2 or more children?

I'm *real* sure the anti cyclist posse on TBH would end the complaining even if bikes started paying a registration fee...
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #42
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
When I was in my 20's I had an old '76 C10 Chevy truck that wouldn't pass state inspection. I drew, cut, and colored a very good likeness of one and used it for several months. Later that year I sold the truck to a buddy that wanted to part it out.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #43
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

I don't mind driving behind some of the bikers...

cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #44
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
I don't mind driving behind some of the bikers...

Terrible.

That should be a camo shirt.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #45
Shallowater
Ten Point

I think her other vehicle is a white jeep.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #46
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post

Dumb question, but why can't the normal patrols enforcing traffic laws also enforce bicyle laws? If you are working an area and see a group of cyclist break a law, just pull them over and issue a citation. Couldn't this just be like speeding tickets or something. Obviously, you can't write a ticket for everyone that is speeding down a roadway, however, you can issue a citation here and there, which typically keeps the population somewhat in check. Same could be for bicyles. If word got out that a few citations have been issued to cyclist for breaking traffic laws, then perhaps more of them would be inclined to simply follow the laws.
Not a dumb question.

Officers can and do enforce bicycle and pedestrian laws. Should pedestrians be taxed?

I said that I have seen auto theft task forces, traffic units, game wardens that deal directly with vehicle, boat, fishing and hunting licenses. In other words a lot of money is spent enforcing those issues. I have seen no bicycle task forces or units.

In my city officers cite bicycles and pedestrians and on occasions arrest them but doing so consumes about 0.00001% of our time.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #47
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

I agree that something has to be done to reduce traffic congestion and accidents related to bicycles, but I don't think taxing cyclists is the answer. I doubt that it would reduce the number of bikes on the road. I'm sorry for what your family has gone through, op. Bikes can be nearly invisible in the setting sun. Prayers for you all.
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #48
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

It would cost tax dollars, but perhaps a push could be made for more bike trails on public lands. City parks, state lands, around lakes, etc.
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #49
BigTex.308
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowater View Post
I think her other vehicle is a white jeep.

HAHA!!! Good one!

Ike
BigTex.308 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #50
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I missed the "white jeep" thread, it must have been a good one..... Guessing it is long since deleted?
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top