Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Some of y'all would be fun at a party

OP good on you for trying to comfort these youngsters....
    This. They need to be coddled.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
      I guess I was different, I graduated in 2003. If this would’ve happened then I wouldn’t be so bummed. I only played football, the season would’ve been over and I wasn’t big enough for a scholarship lol. Never went to prom or had the desire to walk with my class. I know for some students senior year means everything to them I knew them that it wouldn’t mean a thing once you’re thrown into the real world so I just went through the motion of school. For those who take it more seriously and are affected by all this I feel for them. I also know that people in other places or other times in history have had it way worse then missing a few extracurricular activities.
      You are correct. Maybe my original post made it sound like it was 100% of the students who were hurting. Definitely not the case. Some are hurting, some are taking it in stride, some are sleeping all day and enjoying the heck out of it, and some (actually quite a few) are working full time (fast food workers for the most part) already to help support the family since many of the parents have been laid off. My point was that there was a definite shift in the mood, in one weeks time, for an alarming number of them.

Comment

No prom, no drunken senior trip. Insignificant compared to what many others are losing.

Comment

Yeah my niece is in her senior year and I feel bad for her. Sounds like you are one of the good ones that cares.

Comment

I keep reading trying to find a post where somebody is saying this is as traumatic for seniors as going to Vietnam was in 1967. So far all I see is scolds telling us not to compare it to that. Nothing wrong with recognizing that what is supposed to be a fun, meaningful and memorable rite of passage has been taken away. They will be fine of course, and "Class of 2020" will take on historic meaning for the rest of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I keep reading trying to find a post where somebody is saying this is as traumatic for seniors as going to Vietnam was in 1967. So far all I see is scolds telling us not to compare it to that. Nothing wrong with recognizing that what is supposed to be a fun, meaningful and memorable rite of passage has been taken away. They will be fine of course, and "Class of 2020" will take on historic meaning for the rest of their lives.
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                ... for my senior students. I just got off my weekly Zoom meeting with my seniors and what a difference a week makes. The first two weeks, their outlook was a mixture of disbelief, concern, and happiness that they were getting an extended break from school. Today was completely different. Their morale has shifted dramatically to sadness and foreboding. The reality of the probability of no senior sports, no prom, no graduation, is setting in. I feel for them. I don't have the answers and meeting over a dang computer is no way to try and comfort them. I've been doing this a looooong time and this senior class is one of my all time favorites. That was an ugly meeting and I am not looking forward to the rest of the year. I hate this for them.
                You must definitely teach in a small town. No such thing in the big city- these kids are still in vacation mode with no signs of stopping! lol. If anything, they are more upset about not being able to hang out with their friends than being able to go to school, graduation, or sports. Good to hear you are doing what you can though to help your kiddos through this difficult time.

On a different note- what irks me to no end is that there are soo many opportunities to use our current events for teaching social studies, math, science, etc... yet our son is still getting his weekly work packet of useless busy work. And this is from one of the top-notch high schools in SA.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  You sound like a great teacher! I guess this is an opportunity to teach a life lesson and how plans or lack of plans can happen in an instance. Keep at it sir!
                  x2

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                    You are correct. Maybe my original post made it sound like it was 100% of the students who were hurting. Definitely not the case. Some are hurting, some are taking it in stride, some are sleeping all day and enjoying the heck out of it, and some (actually quite a few) are working full time (fast food workers for the most part) already to help support the family since many of the parents have been laid off. My point was that there was a definite shift in the mood, in one weeks time, for an alarming number of them.
                    Yep my wife’s brother is a senior and is working full time at a gas station. The thing that ****** me off is that his dad and mom aren’t working due to this and he’s not helping with any of the bills. Rather save up for a car then pay bills, I was 15 when I had my first job and was already paying the light and phone bill. Some parents are making their kids soft, so I don’t blame the kids I blame their parents.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Yep same boat- senior- trying to keep chin up and busy.

Frisco - maybe for that kid- some kids have invested lots of time energy sweat into school. Imagine being number 1 in class and never get recognized. Lots of awards these kids have worked for. Baseball, softball, track, etc that were on the bubble or radar for schools that now will never get a chance to compete or play at the next level.
                      Off topic (a little)---I know your son signed his letter of intent last year. Is his scholarship at any risk with all that has happened?

Comment

If anything, they are more upset about not being able to hang out with their friends than being able to go to school, graduation, or sports.
                        This is the same for all kids of that age and has nothing to do with big city/small town. These last few weeks of senior year represent a significant door closing for my son and others. They don't get to close it how they would like being through sports, prom, graduation, hanging out with friends or any other way.

I hate it all the way around. I think my son is taking it all in stride, but I know there are many things associated with the last couple months of school that he would rather not be denied.

Comment

Some of you are the reason “they” roll their eyes and refer to you as “boomer”.

This would have been a dream scenario for me, but I feel for all the normal kids out there who will have to miss out on their victory lap. I mean they’ve been alive for 18 years, and forced to work on a diploma for 2/3 of it, they deserve a little celebrating:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Dale Moser; 04-06-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

kudos to you for helping them along, I have a HS senior and while he doesn't miss it as much as others, his journey through school and his achievement of graduating while a stepping stone to bigger things is important.

It will be a life lesson for them( and all of us ).

And good Lord, for some of you.....of course it's not as bad as going to war....I'm sure you guys had to walk to school in the snow uphill both ways. Geez....

Comment

My youngest is a Senior who will miss out as well. My oldest had a 125 person Wedding scheduled for March 28th. It was scaled Way Back but she still got married.

Comment

sjaaaz- who knows but he has been in contact with his coach and was told whatever happens you have a spot. He will have to show up and compete which was always the case. Now he has to be that much better and stronger. What hurts him is he just switched over to baseball less than 4 years ago and needs the game experience more than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X