Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #651
2oddBucks
Nubbin' Buck

Default Good Day Hunt!

Good Hunt Saturday! Never get in my stand late but did this day , 8:45 and at 11: 30 the work begun!
Attached Images

Last edited by 2oddBucks; 11-24-2019 at 05:40 PM.
2oddBucks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #652
GD47
Six Point

Hunt In: Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oddBucks View Post
Good Hunt Saturday! Never get in my stand late but did this day , 8:45 and at 11: 30 the work begun!
What road is that?!.!.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #653
verter
Spike

Hunt In: Somerville PHL

Crap, looks like weather is going to screw up my hunting plans for does this week. 3 days of rain out of 4, super mad!!!
verter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #654
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
What road is that?!.!.

Box 5 or Nails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #655
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by verter View Post
Crap, looks like weather is going to screw up my hunting plans for does this week. 3 days of rain out of 4, super mad!!!
Screw it done had pneumonia once I'll take it again! Hahahha

Old 11-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #656
CAP
Spike

There's 2 separate issues here:

1 - respecting people's space while hunting - I think 99% of people agree and respect others. If you see someone actively hunting in a spot (i.e. physically there), move to a different area and disturb them as little as possible. If you are mid season scouting, keep in mind that others may be hunting, and be as respectful and stealthy as possible.

2 - (the more controversial subject) - the idea of people "claiming spots" because they scouted them earlier in the year. The reality is, it's public land and we all pay for it, so no one owns any spots regardless of how much effort they put into it. I think the majority of people understand this, but there's always a few people who think they own the forest and threaten to ruin others' hunts - which is both sad and illegal. Hunter Harassment Laws exist for a reason.

Here's what i wonder - those people that "claimed" 2 or 3 spots by scouting them earlier in the year - what do they do if those 2 or 3 spots don't pan out? By their rules - they should then end their season, because the rest of the forest is off limits because they didn't scout it. But i highly doubt they do that. They then mid season scout like everyone else.
CAP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #657
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP View Post

1 - respecting people's space while hunting - I think 99% of people agree and respect others. If you see someone actively hunting in a spot (i.e. physically there), move to a different area and disturb them as little as possible. If you are mid season scouting, keep in mind that others may be hunting, and be as respectful and stealthy as possible.

2 - (the more controversial subject) - the idea of people "claiming spots" because they scouted them earlier in the year. The reality is, it's public land and we all pay for it, so no one owns any spots regardless of how much effort they put into it. I think the majority of people understand this, but there's always a few people who think they own the forest and threaten to ruin others' hunts - which is both sad and illegal. Hunter Harassment Laws exist for a reason.

Here's what i wonder - those people that "claimed" 2 or 3 spots by scouting them earlier in the year - what do they do if those 2 or 3 spots don't pan out? By their rules - they should then end their season, because the rest of the forest is off limits because they didn't scout it. But i highly doubt they do that. They then mid season scout like everyone else.
Listen most of have met or have talked on here for many years claiming spot we all know doesnt happen if a stands there no ones in it hunt it.....its there for a reason.....if your in my stand when I walk up and your a *** and wont get out I'll remove the legs and you can stay you have 72 hours to "remove" the stand but most of us hunt couple times a week so the 72 hr mark never is a concern... now you want to set up 50 yrds away on the trail I wont harrass you but will get on my phone and call 100 people and talk as loud as I feel cause ya know its public land we all pay for it.....

Old 11-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #658
mdoug1076
Four Point

Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA

Quote:
Very nice buck! Congratulations!
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #659
mdoug1076
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP View Post

1. I agree 100% on what you said you should do regarding scouting and respecting hunterís space. Sadly, I have to disagree and say that there are still a lot of hunters out there each year that have no respect when I am hunting. Iím friendly and will wave, whistle, etc. and they just keep walking right into the area Iím obviously hunting, but itís public land so I pack my portable setup and move. Iíve had hunters walking with the wind, and walk towards me, Iíd like to tell them they will definitely never ďstalkĒ a deer or hog walking in the same direction as the wind. They can smell you from way out. Iíve had people walk up and talk to me and ask me if I seen anything while hunting in my stand. Iíve had people setup portable ground blinds that I can see from a 100 yards away near me. If I see it, a mature buck does too and he will stay away.

2. Iíll never claim a spot. I have a portable setup and take it out with me within 72 hours every time. Also, I have no issue with people putting up permanent stands and leaving them year round(as long as they will be hunting it the upcoming deer season), it lets me know when Iím pre-season scouting to respect that hunter and stay away from that area during the season. Trust me, itís better to have a hunter with a permanent location than a new hunter scouting and smelling up the entire woods looking for a spot. Iíll never ruin someoneís hunt unless they are in the stand I put up and then we will have major ****ing issues because that is my property and I am following the WMA rules. My hunt has been ruined many times whether intentional or not intentional by others. And I might get upset inside, but I just get out and move my stand.

3. I scout every year, from the time season ends until about one month before season begins. I donít claim any spots since itís public land, but since hunters, like myself, have put in all that time scouting during the off season(when you should scout in my opinion versus the rut/deer season when people hunt all day), then most of us will have more than 2 or 3 spots trust me. I have scouted from each entrance of that place, and I have trees/spots picked out at from each entrance(even some of the several not-known entrances). The good thing about scouting during off season, you learn where permanent stands are and you stay away. Also, if the day before opening morning comes and that awesome spot I wanted to hunt is taken by some guy in a ground blind or whatever, then I just go to the next spot I scouted and keep moving down the list. I hunted numerous previously scouted spots this year, before I killed my buck, and I never once walked in on a hunter or hunted close to anyone because I scouted pre-season and I know what ďareasĒ to avoid. Sometimes, I had my stand packed and ready to go in and saw one truck just at a gate and decided ďno I wonít mess up there hunt just in case I happen to go near them, Iíll keep moving until I see zero trucks then setup in another spot I scoutedĒ. Also, I just recently started talking on here a year or two ago when a fellow hunter recommended the website, but I will tell you the guys on here that do a lot of the conversations on here are truly great guys. Most of us pre-season have talked to one another because we trust each other and know where we typically hunt, so we respect each other. There are too many people reading this thread wanting to jump on another personís spot because they killed an animal there and thatís why some of us are very cautious about helping others.

You sound like a good respectful hunter and I wish you good luck truly. Just be cautious there are many out there that arenít. Iím at Somerville year round. Fishing Yegua and Nails creeks for whites with my little girls, kayaking the creeks with friends, boating/fishing Lake Somerville with family, and camping with the family at Nails state park, and of course scouting in the off season. Some of us take pride in this public land, and we donít like stands and trash just left out there by someone who comes for a weekend or two but too lazy to remove their stuff. Itís ALL of our public land and we need to keep it clean and enjoy the Great Outdoors and be respectful hunters to one another.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #660
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
1. I agree 100% on what you said you should do regarding scouting and respecting hunterís space. Sadly, I have to disagree and say that there are still a lot of hunters out there each year that have no respect when I am hunting. Iím friendly and will wave, whistle, etc. and they just keep walking right into the area Iím obviously hunting, but itís public land so I pack my portable setup and move. Iíve had hunters walking with the wind, and walk towards me, Iíd like to tell them they will definitely never ďstalkĒ a deer or hog walking in the same direction as the wind. They can smell you from way out. Iíve had people walk up and talk to me and ask me if I seen anything while hunting in my stand. Iíve had people setup portable ground blinds that I can see from a 100 yards away near me. If I see it, a mature buck does too and he will stay away.

2. Iíll never claim a spot. I have a portable setup and take it out with me within 72 hours every time. Also, I have no issue with people putting up permanent stands and leaving them year round(as long as they will be hunting it the upcoming deer season), it lets me know when Iím pre-season scouting to respect that hunter and stay away from that area during the season. Trust me, itís better to have a hunter with a permanent location than a new hunter scouting and smelling up the entire woods looking for a spot. Iíll never ruin someoneís hunt unless they are in the stand I put up and then we will have major ****ing issues because that is my property and I am following the WMA rules. My hunt has been ruined many times whether intentional or not intentional by others. And I might get upset inside, but I just get out and move my stand.

3. I scout every year, from the time season ends until about one month before season begins. I donít claim any spots since itís public land, but since hunters, like myself, have put in all that time scouting during the off season(when you should scout in my opinion versus the rut/deer season when people hunt all day), then most of us will have more than 2 or 3 spots trust me. I have scouted from each entrance of that place, and I have trees/spots picked out at from each entrance(even some of the several not-known entrances). The good thing about scouting during off season, you learn where permanent stands are and you stay away. Also, if the day before opening morning comes and that awesome spot I wanted to hunt is taken by some guy in a ground blind or whatever, then I just go to the next spot I scouted and keep moving down the list. I hunted numerous previously scouted spots this year, before I killed my buck, and I never once walked in on a hunter or hunted close to anyone because I scouted pre-season and I know what ďareasĒ to avoid. Sometimes, I had my stand packed and ready to go in and saw one truck just at a gate and decided ďno I wonít mess up there hunt just in case I happen to go near them, Iíll keep moving until I see zero trucks then setup in another spot I scoutedĒ. Also, I just recently started talking on here a year or two ago when a fellow hunter recommended the website, but I will tell you the guys on here that do a lot of the conversations on here are truly great guys. Most of us pre-season have talked to one another because we trust each other and know where we typically hunt, so we respect each other. There are too many people reading this thread wanting to jump on another personís spot because they killed an animal there and thatís why some of us are very cautious about helping others.

You sound like a good respectful hunter and I wish you good luck truly. Just be cautious there are many out there that arenít. Iím at Somerville year round. Fishing Yegua and Nails creeks for whites with my little girls, kayaking the creeks with friends, boating/fishing Lake Somerville with family, and camping with the family at Nails state park, and of course scouting in the off season. Some of us take pride in this public land, and we donít like stands and trash just left out there by someone who comes for a weekend or two but too lazy to remove their stuff. Itís ALL of our public land and we need to keep it clean and enjoy the Great Outdoors and be respectful hunters to one another.

Stay off my creeks- them whitebass are mine. I scouted them years ago.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #661
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggwild View Post

Dont you have some whiskey to be taking care of???.?

Old 11-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #662
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Dont you have some whiskey to be taking care of???.?

I drank it all when he shot the double drop buck..

Told heís gone- that fool hasnt called or texted me all day. Lol

Old 11-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #663
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
I drank it all when he shot the double drop buck..

Told heís gone- that fool hasnt called or texted me all day. Lol

Hahaha once ya hit 200 club we no good for him....hahaha safe travels this week I'll only hunt your area a few times this week

Old 11-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #664
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Hahaha once ya hit 200 club we no good for him....hahaha safe travels this week I'll only hunt your area a few times this week

Iím going Wednesday as the cool front pushes in.

I need to kill that black bear roaming out there before he eats someone.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #665
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Iím going Wednesday as the cool front pushes in.

I need to kill that black bear roaming out there before he eats someone.

Telling ya I wasnt getting out till I know he was gone....not like "ok he walking away" I needed hrs between us hahah when hes taller then the ragweed I knew my rage would only.**** him off

Old 11-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #666
mdoug1076
Four Point

Quote:

Lol, Iíve never laughed so hard. Iíll leave those little 10-11Ē ones for you lol. Iím after those big fatty slabs only. And Iím not posting pics on here when I start limiting. Iíll let a few people(including you) know via text when they hit!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #667
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
Lol, Iíve never laughed so hard. Iíll leave those little 10-11Ē ones for you lol. Iím after those big fatty slabs only. And Iím not posting pics on here when I start limiting. Iíll let a few people(including you) know via text when they hit!

You know me, Iím the goto Hybrid guy out there. You can have the whites. Those whites are the size of the gizzard shad we drift for hybrids! Lol

They will be in the creeks soon enough. Usually 2-3weekend of January!

Old 11-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #668
mdoug1076
Four Point

Quote:
You know me, Iím the goto Hybrid guy out there. You can have the whites. Those whites are the size of the gizzard shad we drift for hybrids! Lol

They will be in the creeks soon enough. Usually 2-3weekend of January!

You arenít joking, Iím not the hybrid master but they are big and fun to catch on the lake! Iíll be after the whites January 11th, if not a little sooner, I just canít help walking out with a limit on my shoulder from my previously scouted ďhoney holesĒ when some people canít catch 2. People eyeballing your bait and still canít catch them because they donít know how to fish them on the creeks. Always a good time, plus my girls have a blast reeling some in.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #669
JMKro
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

Quote:
Good one! Nice, dark horns too.
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #670
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

Looking into a cellular camera. Does Verizon or att have better service? ThankYou
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #671
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest-hunter View Post
Looking into a cellular camera. Does Verizon or att have better service? ThankYou
AT&T. I have some Spypoint Micros out there already and no issues besides with Spypoint updates. They are on sale at Academy right now too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
greenmonstah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #672
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonstah View Post
AT&T. I have some Spypoint Micros out there already and no issues besides with Spypoint updates. They are on sale at Academy right now too.

ThankYou Sir!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #673
2oddBucks
Nubbin' Buck

Default Rain

Quote:
See more deer and hogs while its raining!
2oddBucks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #674
GD47
Six Point

Dont forget tomorrow is buck.only!!!! Except for me it's buck or doe!!!!!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #675
greenmonstah
Four Point

Anyone else hear the jackass racing up and down the road revving his engine?

Old 11-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #676
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Anyone out here today? Seems all the deer have left..LOL

Nothing but 2 squirrels this morning

Old 11-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #677
timmmbo
Spike

Good luck out there fellas. Hope you get on em!
timmmbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #678
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Anyone out here today? Seems all the deer have left..LOL

Nothing but 2 squirrels this morning

I'm out here. I sat until about 8:20 and decided to change batteries in my camera. Hadn't seen anything all morning so I didn't think it would be an issue. Got up and walked to my camera and a buck and a doe were ten yards to my right. Never heard or saw them. They didn't blow they just hurried away so hopefully they come back.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:01 AM   #679
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
I'm out here. I sat until about 8:20 and decided to change batteries in my camera. Hadn't seen anything all morning so I didn't think it would be an issue. Got up and walked to my camera and a buck and a doe were ten yards to my right. Never heard or saw them. They didn't blow they just hurried away so hopefully they come back.

Iíve been hunting a scrape line last few weeks and always had some sort of deer moving thru. Wonder if this wind has them laid up and not moving much.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #680
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Iíve been hunting a scrape line last few weeks and always had some sort of deer moving thru. Wonder if this wind has them laid up and not moving much.

Should have went to big oak......

Old 11-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #681
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Should have went to big oak......

That oak wouldnít be swaying hard as this is one!

Old 11-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #682
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:

It's very windy for sure. I had deer on camera from midnight to 2:30am. I have a feeling they are going to be moving mid day today if at all.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:07 AM   #683
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quiet here, I let my stand rest a week and this morning I noticed a quiver full of arrows with broad heads under my set up. If you can identify them I will return them.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #684
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
Quiet here, I let my stand rest a week and this morning I noticed a quiver full of arrows with broad heads under my set up. If you can identify them I will return them.
Opps sorry didnt mean to leave those there arrows and broadheads that close enough for them???? Hahahahaah **** that sucks knowing someone been in the stand

Old 12-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #685
GD47
Six Point

Quiet here too tho hunting a area I always go to last month of season and nothing but dang squirrels I'm starting to get alil upset I have no idea where all my pigs went+!!!!!! Iv seen 1 pig all season

Old 12-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #686
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Crazy you say that. My uncle told me last night that on the way to his stand he saw a tree stand and that there was a quiver full of arrows under it so he was looking around for a hunter. This was Friday evening.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #687
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Quiet here too tho hunting a area I always go to last month of season and nothing but dang squirrels I'm starting to get alil upset I have no idea where all my pigs went+!!!!!! Iv seen 1 pig all season

I ventured pretty deep yesterday. Although I haven't seen any pigs in person, I did notice a lot of new rooting areas. I have one on camera every now and then but not seeing anything like I used to.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #688
GD47
Six Point

Quote:
I ventured pretty deep yesterday. Although I haven't seen any pigs in person, I did notice a lot of new rooting areas. I have one on camera every now and then but not seeing anything like I used to.

I killed 9 pigs out of this area last year used to be anle.to at least hear then grunting and squealing but I havent since opening day

Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #689
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:

Lol yep I think Iíll move around less pigs for me this year for sure.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #690
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Crazy you say that. My uncle told me last night that on the way to his stand he saw a tree stand and that there was a quiver full of arrows under it so he was looking around for a hunter. This was Friday evening.

That is funny lol. Iím back here 1.6 miles but looks like other ppl are to! Iím just glad itís not flooded.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #691
mdoug1076
Four Point

Quote:
That is funny lol. Iím back here 1.6 miles but looks like other ppl are to! Iím just glad itís not flooded.
Amen to No flooding this year! Iím hoping it stays that way this winter to keep some of those small 8pt bucks around for next year. I found a small 6pt skull on the creek bank at the end of last year after the flooding stopped, Iím assuming he died from the flood.

Iíve been hunting Keechi Creek WMA(e-postcard hunt) and Sam Houston since I killed my Somerville buck, but no luck yet. Got close to a few at Keechi but rut was coming to a close when I arrived there and acorns were falling like rain drops all over. Sounds like yíall are hunting the same area lol....including someone else who left their arrows and quiver....based on what Iím seeing there are only like 1 or 2 ďareasĒ that you can go 1.6 miles deep unless you are entering a gate to use wind for your advantage. I seriously give you all props for walking that far! That would take me almost an hour to get into ....just because I walk really slow to avoid noise and sweating.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #692
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Let's just say that he didn't walk that far on purpose. Lol.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #693
verter
Spike

Pay attention!
All that chat about regulations discrepancy between the book and the county was clarified to me by a game warden.
Yesterday, I was about to drive away from the parking lot at the box #4, when a warden pulled up in his truck.
He asked if I had any luck and I told him that I was trying to get a doe on the last day, but didn't see anything. His reply was, it's good that you didn't shoot one because it's not allowed in Burleson. When I mentioned the book, he just ignored it and asked for my license.
So, follow county regulations, not the book.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #694
HogStalker
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County

Quote:
Pay attention!
All that chat about regulations discrepancy between the book and the county was clarified to me by a game warden.
Yesterday, I was about to drive away from the parking lot at the box #4, when a warden pulled up in his truck.
He asked if I had any luck and I told him that I was trying to get a doe on the last day, but didn't see anything. His reply was, it's good that you didn't shoot one because it's not allowed in Burleson. When I mentioned the book, he just ignored it and asked for my license.

Thatís a complete crock of ****. Itís a PHL with its own rules. Heís mistaken. Shoot you two bucks in each county and I bet you get slammed.

HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #695
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Pay attention!
So that means we could have shot a doe up until the 17th?

Old 12-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #696
GD47
Six Point

Quote:

Lol what game warden was it.??

Old 12-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #697
greenmonstah
Four Point

Quote:
Lol what game warden was it.??

This is crazy because I almost shot a doe on Lee County side and I would have had to drag it out on Burleson County side. ***?

Old 12-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #698
Hoggwild
Eight Point

The GW was probably the idiot Jaime...

Heís only good for one thing..and knowledge isnít it.

Stats on his cool boy points on Lone Star Law.
LOL

Serious though, Burleson Co held a meeting about him after his first year here...heís not the brightest or sharpest tool.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #699
verter
Spike

Quote:
The GW was probably the idiot Jaime...

Heís only good for one thing..and knowledge isnít it.

Stats on his cool boy points on Lone Star Law.
LOL

Serious though, Burleson Co held a meeting about him after his first year here...heís not the brightest or sharpest tool.

I didn't ask his name. He was in his low 30s I would say and there was a female officer with him, but she kept silent.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #700
verter
Spike

Quote:

That's what I was thinking too after the encounter.